Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 02 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 00:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DX or 5Dmk3 for birding?

peregrineflier
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,069 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 02, 2012 20:05 |  #31

Pearlallica wrote in post #15317850 (external link)
You snap at everybody that offers their own viewpoint all the time like that? Sensitive, man...

I offered my own viewpoint, as did Daniel. That's generally the idea behind threads. I concluded with a "but hey, maybe I'm missing something", as in, I humbly accept if I'm in the wrong here and give you the benefit of the doubt. I grew up wit National Geographic magazine and painted countless birds from the pages of their magazines. I started out painting still birds, but eventually sought out images with more action, energy, dynamic composition. I don't photograph birds now, but if I did, that would be the kind of shots I would seek out. A 1DX would give me the greatest capability in doing this.

You think my stating my opinion that using a 1DX is overkill at capturing a bird perched on a branch is the act of being rude because you didn't like my opinion? Who's being the the rude one?

You make it sound like you should have two bodies, a good one for BIF and a second cheap one just in case you wan't to take a picture of a bird sitting in a tree. I am lucky to afford one. My opnion is if you would pass up a shot of a bird sitting in a tree because you gear is just to good for that, than you have a real ego problem. I was taking a picture of a sitting bird when I got the shot below. If I had to big of an ego to bother taking a shot of a sitting bird I would of missed that one.

IMAGE: http://peregrineflier.smugmug.com/Animals/Fun-with-Kingishers/i-gv9nZ2H/1/L/IMG_6295s-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://peregrineflier.​smugmug.com …692225&k=gv9nZ2​H&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

Thanks, Tom the Peregrineflier ;) Lyle Washington
Canon 1D mk3, Canon 100-400 L, Canon 300mm f/4L IS
http://peregrineflier.​smugmug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
DanThoman
Goldmember
2,626 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 02, 2012 20:27 |  #32

Tom - just keep boring me with all beautiful shots you get of birds sitting on a branch...please.

As to the camera I would go with the 5D. It's cheaper so you can spend more money on glass. By the way, it's just as weather sealed as the 1DX. No, I don't own either camera, my opinion is based on what I've read.

Dan
my gear
www.thomanstudio.com (external link)
www.Buckheadwoodcrafte​rs.com (external link)
http://thomanstudio.co​m/blog (external link)

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 02, 2012 20:27 |  #33

Modern cameras today are overkill for the majority of the shooting most people do. However, what is nice about having a camera like the 1dx is that it is capable of capturing those birds in flight, the fighter jet, or the deer running through thick brush. Yeh, it will be overkill for the landscape, the sitting bird, etc. but you will have the option of shooting the action where a non-overkill camera like an earlier Rebel would struggle.

Higher frame rates when shooting a still subject allow for more choice of posture when the subject does move. Higher frame rates allow for sharper images when hand holding super teles because shooting a burst is steadier than one shot. Also, shooting high fps bursts allow for more choice if the camera does miss focus for a couple frames.

I was half joking when I posted "bw!". I don't think it was your opinion that came across as rude, but the way you said it, it seemed like you were attacking bird photography ;). The reason that I enjoy shooting sitting birds is it constantly allows me practice my technique for when they do take off. I also enjoy looking back at my perched photos as it allows me to study the birds features. But that is mainly because I love observing birds no matter what they are doing.

I think everyone is hangry (hungry+angry ;)) and therefore needs to go eat dinner...like me:D

--
flickr (external link)

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 02, 2012 20:30 |  #34

DanThoman wrote in post #15318045 (external link)
By the way, it's just as weather sealed as the 1DX

I don't actually think it is. 5d3 is improved, but 1Dx still is better. Do you have a link to where it says they are equal? I find it hard to believe that they would make a 5d's weather sealing comparable to their flagship model.

--
flickr (external link)

DanThoman
Goldmember
2,626 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 02, 2012 20:40 |  #35

Evan - I'll look for a source about the weather sealing. I was sold on the 7D when I saw a video of someone putting it in the shower for several minutes. The 1DX is built like a tank. It can handle a lot more abuse than the 5D3. Like when your wife finds out what you paid for it and throws it at you ;)

Dan
my gear
www.thomanstudio.com (external link)
www.Buckheadwoodcrafte​rs.com (external link)
http://thomanstudio.co​m/blog (external link)

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 02, 2012 20:42 |  #36

refreshed this page...

was refreshed to see that there is still an essence of adult discussion going on here.

Just keep in mind folks, when a person posts a statement like "x is boring" preceded with a "I feel", or "personally", it's a matter of opinion. Calling a person rude or egotistical is a matter of opinion, and now matter how right or wrong you are, I'm able to leave that as your opion, and stay on topic. I'm not sure how my choice in focal length (sold my 300 2.8) and my 5D2 has has any bearing on a 5D3 vs. 1Dx comparison.

I thought the points that Daniel brought up were excellent points to consider in this purchase decision. They were given as information without any emotional attachment yet this has become a discussion about the people involved in this thread and their supposed flaws as people. Just childish. Just bounce those points back and forth a bit and maybe you'll have come to a clearer decision. Isn't that the point of a X vs. Y thread?

And yes, those images are beautiful. Some of the better ones I've seen in this particular image category.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 02, 2012 21:51 |  #37

Pearlallica wrote in post #15318133 (external link)
I'm not sure how my choice in focal length (sold my 300 2.8) and my 5D2 has has any bearing on a 5D3 vs. 1Dx comparison.

I think they were referring to the skill in shooting sitting birds is higher than most people presume.
Holding a camera and large lens steady, getting an angle that does not have distracting branches and other objects, getting the light to your back, picking your settings, waiting for sometimes HOURS, etc all add to the difficulty of a great bird photos. Sitting or not.

I think it upsets people when someone says a statement that seems like its simple and boring to take a photo of a bird sitting still.

Ive seen this first hand as I (like everyone on here) try for the most possible detail in my photots. My wife, friends, and family will say that my pics that I'm deleting are fantastic. But we "photographers" have a different set of standards for a good photo and therefore for us to get a "great" photo takes quite a bit of work.

It would be like us saying a landscape shot is easy because the mountains don't move, or a portrait is simple because people do what you tell them to, etc.

Or I may be totally off base and have no idea what I'm saying. (which has happened before :p)

My Flickr (external link)

No ­ Angle
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 02, 2012 21:57 |  #38

I vote 1Dx, but I love overkill.

7D / 70-200 F4L IS / 400 5.6L / 50mm 1.8 / 18-55 Kit / CS5 plus other software.
My Smugmug (external link)

cosmen
90 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 02, 2012 22:00 |  #39

In my opinion both cameras are outstanding but for birding and/or sports purposes you will appreciate the speed, build quality and dual Digic 5 processing capability of the 1DX.

My Gear

lhoy
949 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 02, 2012 22:22 |  #40

Well said Jeremy. I think it is funny that he throws out such a blanket statement, I point out technical expertise required to get such shot and he thinks I am being childish. Awesome.

You said it would be "boring" to shoot a bird with 500 and 1DX. You obviously thing getting a great shot like that is simple. I pointed out, looking at your equipment, you have not had that experience so while it was an "opinion" it was uninformed and way off base.

I stated my opinion as well. Apparently, your opinion was much more mature than mine. ;)

Again, it might be HELPFUL to read what some PRO bird photographers as have said about such bodies in their ACTUAL use of them to shoot said "boring" shots.

http://www.tourbigbend​.com (external link)

gary1952
550 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 03, 2012 01:04 |  #41

I'm really the odd ball. I cannot warm up to either camera for birding. I tried a Mark 1V twice and didn't like it either.. hummmm
But some of the pros shoot some stunning pics with them. Just not for me i guess.
Wait a few months and maybe Canon will announce a new crop camera for birding. That's what I am doing.
I personally love the 7D for birding. Anyway good luck.

Live between San Antonio, Texas and Thailand. I spend about 9 months a year in Thailand and 3 in Texas.

dioladetus
657 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 03, 2012 01:19 |  #42

I would choose the 1dx, its a gigantic step up from the 5d3.
the f/8 issue has been fixed. Honestly, I have never seen it as a problem though. I do not think the IQ from using 2x extenders is better than just cropping that extra with the 1.4. The f/5.6 glasses does not handle extenders that well anyways.
The images the 1dx produces are just phenomenal. I have shot a bunch of iso12800 that just works great.
Also, the tracking is much better.
If you have the money, go for it!

www.phodiography.com (external link)

jodelak
Cream of the Crop
8,463 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 03, 2012 01:40 |  #43

If I have the money to buy 5D3, i will save more money until I have enough to buy a 1DX :). I have a friend who owns a 1DX and his pics blows me away.

... does it really matter?i see with my eyes, i shoot with my fingers.
My Flickr Page (external link)

chubri777
Goldmember
1,533 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 03, 2012 02:22 |  #44

Tom, the 2 full frame cameras you mentioned would work wonders up there in the land of no sunshine and they both have amazing AF systems on them. The 5DIII will seem sluggish to you after using a 1DIII for so long but man, the full frame sensor would sure help with the poor lighting. The 1DX like was mentioned before is like a 5DIII on steroids.
If it were me though, I'd find myself a nice clean lightly used 1DIV and and save the rest of your $ for an EF 500L f/4 IS II and a 1.4 III tc. Even better, an EF 400L f/2.8 IS II and both the 1.4 and 2.0 III tc's

Regards,
Chuck

sponsored links

6,938 views & 0 likes for this thread
1DX or 5Dmk3 for birding?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.