Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 21 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 09:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canada side photographers where do you print?

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,682 posts
Gallery: 150 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 01, 2012 05:36 |  #16

Tony_Stark wrote in post #15311250 (external link)
Do your prints get rolled up from Adorama? I hate ordering prints in general and having them rolled :(

No, I have never received rolled up prints from Adorama Tony. They are flat, each size in a spearate glassine envelope, then all wrapped in shrink wrap, then padding around that and more brown wrapping, then all sealed nicely in a right-sized flat box. I am very impressed by their packaging. And like I say, their prices are often 1/4 to 1/5 what I would have to pay locally, overall total.

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, 1D-X II, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 01, 2012 14:44 as a reply to  @ Wallace River's post |  #17

I use a company called Technicare which has a few labs across Canada. I do not know if they have a location in Toronto or area. I do know they do a terrific job. You need to sign up for an account with them and they will set you up with ROES. There is not a decent lab (short of Costco, Walmart, etc.) where I live and Technicare is about 150 miles away. If I upload before 10am I normally have them back by the next morning via courier. I don't like to chase around to pick up orders so this works well for me. They also offer decorative packaging where I can order the prints and they send directly to the customer in very attractive packaging. They pack and send it like it is coming from me and the customer never sees what I paid for their prints. I use this service alot because I have confidence in what they do.

There is no shortage of labs that fall into the "pro color lab" search results on Google. This resulting link (external link) shows many options though it is still showing Silvano. My process for deciding on a lab was to make a set of test files and send them to a few different labs and then repeat the process a couple of weeks later. I was surprised at the difference in the prints that I got from Costco made only a couple of weeks apart. Sure this cost me maybe a hundred dollars but it weeded out the bad ones.

Given the size of Toronto I would be surprised if you had trouble finding a lab that would not meet your needs.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 01, 2012 20:39 |  #18

Wallace River wrote in post #15311562 (external link)
No, I have never received rolled up prints from Adorama Tony. They are flat, each size in a spearate glassine envelope, then all wrapped in shrink wrap, then padding around that and more brown wrapping, then all sealed nicely in a right-sized flat box. I am very impressed by their packaging. And like I say, their prices are often 1/4 to 1/5 what I would have to pay locally, overall total.

That sounds good! I am looking for the earliest opportunity to order something from the Adorama print shop. I have been contemplating metallic prints for a long time now.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

FeXL
493 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 02, 2012 10:39 as a reply to  @ Tony_Stark's post |  #19

Technicare dropped the ball big time this year for us, twice.

Edmonton lab had to redo a 20x60 panoramic 2" canvas wrap three times to get me one good one (one torn emulsion, one had a "wart" on it from the mounting hardware getting caught between the canvas & the stringer during shipping). On the same order they also took multiple tries finding a piece of aluminum without scratches for a 24x30 metal print.

Second time, I placed an order and thought I was on Calgary's ROES. As it turned out I was actually on Edmonton's. I had left instructions to hold for pick up. This left the lab with questions but, instead of making the phone call to clarify, Calgary lab FUBAR'd & shipped to the studio (I was out of town for the week covering an event). I passed through Calgary Friday afternoon, "no order here!" and had to break land speed records to get to the courier depot before they closed that afternoon. I made the pickup with 4 minutes to spare, nearly two hours later. Of course, the order was due that weekend.

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 03, 2012 08:53 |  #20

Another Canadian option is www.zoomphotolab.ca (external link)
They are Ottawa based but ship. Online ordering is straightforward, great quality prints, good pricing, great customer service.

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4,293 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canada side photographers where do you print?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.