Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Oct 2012 (Monday) 22:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HELP! err 02 on two Transcend 400x CF cards

mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 03, 2012 12:04 |  #31

Just wanted to add another data point to this thread. I bought a refurbished 5D2 and it arrived last week. Using it with a new Transcend 400x 32GB card and getting the Err 02 when trying to import videos from the camera.

Right now I have the card plugged into my computer with a card reader and doing a read/write test for bad blocks on the card. It won't finish for a couple more hours but after checking 40% of the card, no problems have been found yet.

Not sure what I should do at this point. If the card works fine with my computer, does that point to the issue being with the camera? I could order a new card of a different brand and see if that works, but I've had good luck with Transcends in the past and other brands can cost a lot more. Either way, I have to figure something out before the 14 day return policy runs out on me.

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, Rebel SL1
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

sponsored links
mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 03, 2012 20:01 |  #32

My computer tested all the blocks of the Transcend card with no errors found. Still hoping it's the memory card, so I just ordered a Sandisk Extreme 32GB 60mb/sec card. I'll have about a week to put the camera through its paces before deciding whether or not to exchange it.

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

efunc
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Dec 03, 2012 20:36 |  #33

My own situation is that I returned one of my 32GB 400x cards, and kept one. I didn't want the liability of owning two, but one of them is a risk I'm willing to put up with. The behaviour is still very unpredictable, but seemingly manageable nonetheless. I took about 100 shots the other week, of which 4 of them were short videos (2-4mins) and I found that none of these were transferred when I synced my 5d2 to my Mac. I then tried the card in an external USB adaptor, and this time it worked, inexplicably. Last week on the other hand I shot some more video, and this time I had no issues transferring them from the camera.

I've learned to put up with the performance of the card and just try not to shot any video I wouldn't be prepared to loose, if I was forced to. There doesn't actually seem to be anything wrong with the card, and there's nothing wrong with the camera. However, they clearly don't get on too well together!

mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 03, 2012 22:08 |  #34

efunc: So have you had any video problems while working with your other non-Transcend card? It's also interesting that your card reader could read the video files while your camera couldn't. I'm going to try that here and see if I notice the same thing. That would make it almost a non-issue.

Assuming the new card works, I'll definitely be returning the Transcend and buying more Sandisk, even though they cost a lot more. 99% of the time I'll be shooting stills, but I don't want to chance missing a capture of my 2 year old daughter growing up.

efunc
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Dec 04, 2012 08:36 |  #35

My other (Kingston) cards don't seem to have a problem with video.

However, regarding my USB card reader, that was initially also unsuccessful if you look back to the start of the thread. The fact that it worked OK recently came as a pleasant surprise to me. Basically, sometimes these cards are hassle-free, and sometimes they require work-arounds, and other times they have failed when it comes to transferring video. It just seems a bit unpredictable, there's no pattern I can see..

mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 07, 2012 09:46 as a reply to  @ efunc's post |  #36

The new Sandisk Extreme 32GB arrived a couple days ago. Since then I've filled the memory card to capacity with video, twice. Then I transferred the videos to the computer by just hooking up directly to the camera. No errors.

Switched back to the Transcend 400x 32GB and took a few videos. Was able to generate the Err 02 again after only a few minutes.

For me, it looks like the issue is definitely the memory card. Guess that one's going back to Amazon.

Glad I was able to find this discussion. It really helped me get to the bottom of the issue.

sponsored links

8,708 views & 0 likes for this thread
HELP! err 02 on two Transcend 400x CF cards
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.