Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Nov 2012 (Sunday) 20:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon clean and check .... how much cleaning is really done?

71sbeetle
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 11, 2012 20:38 |  #1

So I sent two of my lenses to Canon last week since they are 5 years old and never got checked I figured it was time for a check up.
Before I packed them, just for fun I put a fingerprint on each front element since I figured that was easily cleaned. Turnaround was very quick, they received the package on a Friday early afternoon and on Monday it was back on it's way to me! No complaints there, however, upon opening the package, I noticed that both lenses still had my fingerprints on them, and also all the usual "dust" on the front element. The paper/repair order does say that they performed a "cleaning of optical elements and check normal function of the lens" but I wonder now since the front element didn't appear to be clean, and since an "easy" task like that was not performed, what did they check for "normal function"?
Just curious .....

gareymartin.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
gear list | CPS.
eBay (external link) | POTN
VWVortex (external link)

sponsored links
kenshap
367 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 11, 2012 20:40 |  #2

Maybe they don't clean the front element since its something the owner can do.

Canon T6s (battery grip) | Canon T4i (aftermarket battery grip) | Canon T2i | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF-S 55 - 250 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro | Canon 40mm

T2i4me
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 11, 2012 23:04 |  #3

A good question for the Canon service dept. Common sense would seem to think as you did that if they did a "complete" cleaning at the least it would have a clean front element.

-- Eric --
5DC - T2i - 100-400 L IS - 70-200 F4 L - 17-40 L - EF 85 1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 15-85 IS - EF-S 60 macro - 430EX II

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 11, 2012 23:12 as a reply to  @ T2i4me's post |  #4

When I take my car to the dealer for oil change, they wash the car.

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

cwood
363 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 11, 2012 23:16 |  #5

Let me know what they say... I've asked questions before and I always get very vague answers.

1DxII, 5D3, 6D
BLOG (external link)

jerbear00
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 11, 2012 23:44 |  #6

I was told they just clean the elements and check that it functions. Fairly basic. My 85L2 still has internal dust when I got it back

5d3 & Lens CoLLector
Gear List/Feedback

chuckmiller
890 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2012

Nov 19, 2012 18:25 as a reply to  @ jerbear00's post |  #7

So what do you have to ask for to get EVERYTHING cleaned? It sounds like they are taking the money and doing nothing for it.

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

ebjo
39 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 19, 2012 18:54 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Whoever cleaned your glass knows a fingerprint on front glass was put there on purpose, so the tech left it there.

Rebel, 40D, 7-70 DC macro2.8-4.70-200 2.8 APO Sigma lens, 600EX-RT, 800 mm Bauch and Lomb scope.

Davisje011
45 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 19, 2012 18:57 |  #9

Bull, you paid for a service and they failed to perform it. Contact a Repairs supervisor and give them an earful.

Canon 5D Mk III - 16-35mm f2.8L II - 24-70mm f2.8L II - 70-200mm f2.8L IS II - 2x Extender III - 600EX-RT - 430EX II - BG-E11

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,828 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 19, 2012 19:00 |  #10

I suspect all they do is mount it on the optical test bench and insure that it is within spec. If so, they put it back in the box and send it back.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

vince_ross
350 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Nov 19, 2012 21:50 |  #11

gjl711 wrote in post #15265722 (external link)
I suspect all they do is mount it on the optical test bench and insure that it is within spec. If so, they put it back in the box and send it back.

^^^ This ^^^

They do not open the lens to clean internal dust (unless specified and that will usually mean extra charges). They will clean the outside housing and elements (not sure why your elements still had finger prints though :confused: ).
They've cleaned several lenses of mine, and I've never had a complaint (yet).

www.ohiovalleyphoto.ne​t (external link)

Yaadie
45 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 03, 2012 18:26 |  #12

vince_ross wrote in post #15266336 (external link)
^^^ This ^^^

They do not open the lens to clean internal dust (unless specified and that will usually mean extra charges). They will clean the outside housing and elements (not sure why your elements still had finger prints though :confused: ).
They've cleaned several lenses of mine, and I've never had a complaint (yet).

Quick question, how much was charged to clean the internal dust?

I am Neil ^_^
Canon 60D | Σ 30 f1.4 | 430 EX II

Jumpdrive
51 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 03, 2012 18:57 as a reply to  @ Yaadie's post |  #13

Yep. They won't clean internals where they have to tear down subsections unless you specifically tell them to.

ljason8eg
478 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 03, 2012 19:06 |  #14

Yaadie wrote in post #15322219 (external link)
Quick question, how much was charged to clean the internal dust?

I just sent my 17-55 in with a clean and check coupon and specified the inside needed cleaning. It was quite dusty inside as I used it at a couple dusty race tracks but I didn't know the clean and check didn't cover an internal cleaning.

CPS did it for free with the coupon and marked it as a "courtesy repair" on the work order. The zoom and focus rings also felt better after the clean and check. I'd say the service was great, but it doesn't seem like everyone has this same experience. :(

Jason
Gear: 1D Mark III | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | 24-105 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L | Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 | 580 EX II |

Rich ­ Smith
85 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 03, 2012 20:55 |  #15

Think I'd be a bit disappointed too if they didnt even clean the front element. What does "clean and check" mean if they don't clean the inside or outside? If you don't mind my asking, what did they charge for this service?

sponsored links

6,028 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon clean and check .... how much cleaning is really done?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.