Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Dec 2012 (Wednesday) 00:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So depressed, No Beauty dishes for speedlights

guitarjeff
671 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 05, 2012 00:33 |  #1

Wow, seems like someone could make a fortune if they would make and sell a 22 inch beauty dish wwith a speedlight bracket for around 75 to 100 dollars.

I have searched high and low for a white, 22 inch Beauty dish with a speedlight adjustable bracket for a reasonable price and there isn't anything to be had. i am terrible with diy projects, and would probably ruin anything I tried. I saw the diy plastic bowl one from lowes on youtube where you use the CD spindle case and paint the bowl white, I woukd love one of these and would pay 75 bucks for one and the guy said the parts cost like 15 bucks.

Is the world kidding, not even a white, plastic, 22 inch beauty dish with speedlight bracket? I would pay a hundred dollars for one. Anyone willing to make me one for that? Bet it would sell like hot cakes here on POTN Maybe i will contact the guy on youtube. I do see one on ebay but I don't think it is white and it doesnt say the bracket is adjustable. I sent him a question.

sponsored links
Luxury
635 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 05, 2012 00:36 |  #2

I got one off of ebay for about $100. It works pretty well, I just wish I had a boom that could support it.

Liam - A7r, Fuji x100, 450d and some other stuff. --- Flickr  (external link)--- http://liamgee.com (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 05, 2012 00:54 |  #3

You can already get them off eBay for $119 with speedlite bracket, diffusion socks, extra reflectors, and honeycomb grid. Not a bad cache of accessories for $20 more than your budget, imo.

http://www.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​53efe28794 (external link)

With the optinal $20 flash bracket and you're good to go. (They normally stock a shoe mount-equipped BD but I don't see it in their store atm. Maybe wait a few days?) This one comes with an Elinchrom SR but you can get them in Alien Bees, Speedotron, Profoto, Photogenic, whatever. Check out the seller's store for all the accessories, which include a pretty nice bag with space for the grid.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 05, 2012 04:44 |  #4

That's a useful looking little bag!

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,609 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 05, 2012 08:36 |  #5

You can use a 22" Kacey Beauty dish with his Speedlight adapters as well no issue?

I dont see the issue?

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D III | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 85L 1.4 IS | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

guitarjeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
671 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 05, 2012 09:36 |  #6

Hmm, that dish says 109 with no bracket and 35 bucks shipping, how much total? That's like 160 with a bracket? That's just out of my budget.

I am just stunned that some money-making bright guy like the Yourtube guy hasn't decided to makethe plastic one and make about a 50 dollar profit on each bowl. Wish i could do this, but I would just waste my money on the parts.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=kuExFcfpzpg (external link)

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #15328152 (external link)
You can already get them off eBay for $119 with speedlite bracket, diffusion socks, extra reflectors, and honeycomb grid. Not a bad cache of accessories for $20 more than your budget, imo.

With the optinal $20 flash bracket and you're good to go. (They normally stock a shoe mount-equipped BD but I don't see it in their store atm. Maybe wait a few days?) This one comes with an Elinchrom SR but you can get them in Alien Bees, Speedotron, Profoto, Photogenic, whatever. Check out the seller's store for all the accessories, which include a pretty nice bag with space for the grid.

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 05, 2012 10:13 |  #7

guitarjeff wrote in post #15329184 (external link)
Hmm, that dish says 109 with no bracket and 35 bucks shipping, how much total? That's like 160 with a bracket? That's just out of my budget.

Manufacturing costs a whole lot more than just the materials. Unlike the DIY person the manufacturer has to pay for the whole factory and the employees.

You may want to look at a small softbox instead. The real issue is the light source size. People wax poetic about the BD "look"but it is just a characteristic of a moderate size light source at a specific distance that is round. Plain physics. If you find a small SB then you can do the same things as a BD with a lot less weight. Maybe you can even get a small Octa so you have round catchlights.:)

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 05, 2012 10:15 as a reply to  @ markd61's post |  #8

BTW, you will notice in videos of Annie Leibovitz's shoots her assistant is ALWAYS holding a boomed Softlighter.

guitarjeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
671 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 05, 2012 10:53 |  #9

Mark, already ahead of you on it. I ordered a 20 inch by 20 inch softbox that should be here tomorrow. Though I have read that a small, silver umbrella gives you something closer to a beauty dish look.

Having said that, look at the Beauty dish thread here and to me the shots have a very unique quality, bright faces with quick fall off that simply don't look like softbox shots. Human faces are quite thin and a beauty dish seems to light the face brightly while falling off just to the sides of the cheeks wich give a very unique look and I just don't see this in softboxes. I do hope you are right because that's why I ordered the 20x20 softbox, but somehow I am thinking I will be dissapointed in trying to get the beauty dish look without that thin lighting and fast fall off. We'll see.

markd61 wrote in post #15329321 (external link)
Manufacturing costs a whole lot more than just the materials. Unlike the DIY person the manufacturer has to pay for the whole factory and the employees.

You may want to look at a small softbox instead. The real issue is the light source size. People wax poetic about the BD "look"but it is just a characteristic of a moderate size light source at a specific distance that is round. Plain physics. If you find a small SB then you can do the same things as a BD with a lot less weight. Maybe you can even get a small Octa so you have round catchlights.:)

Hot ­ Bob
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 05, 2012 11:06 |  #10

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #15328152 (external link)

I have this BD from Studio-98. Bought mine in silver finish with a Speedotron adapter. I don't think it would work well with a speedlight unless you modified the diffuser disc. I've seen some DIY guys add a small convex mirror to scatter the light out into the dish. I think that would be needed on this. It is also fairly heavy, especially with the grid installed. It has been pretty durable though.

Bob

Image of the Horse (external link)

Gear List

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,936 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 05, 2012 11:54 |  #11

Will an 18" do?

Lumodi (external link)

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

npompei
563 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 05, 2012 11:57 |  #12

Make one. I made one and it kicks ass. Forget where but just search online. Really wasn't that hard

www.nickpompei.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5d3-gripped / Canon 5d / Canon EOS M / Phottix Mitros + (3) / Tamron 17-35 (2.8-4.0) / Tamron 28-75 (2.8) / Canon 35L / Canon 50 (1.4) / Sigma 85 (1.4) / Canon 70-200(2.8)IS

guitarjeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
671 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 05, 2012 13:32 |  #13

18 inch would be alright, but where d you see it for 100 bucks? I see a kit for 170, which is beyond what I want to pay.

Still no options.

DagoImaging wrote in post #15329627 (external link)
Will an 18" do?

Lumodi (external link)

guitarjeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
671 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 05, 2012 13:37 |  #14

Sorry, but I have tried a many diy project and always just wasted my money, yeah, I am that bad at working with tools and projects. Basically, I couldn't stick my finger in my butt with both hands.

npompei wrote in post #15329637 (external link)
Make one. I made one and it kicks ass. Forget where but just search online. Really wasn't that hard

shuttereye
324 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 05, 2012 13:48 |  #15

guitarjeff wrote in post #15329184 (external link)

I am just stunned that some money-making bright guy like the Yourtube guy hasn't decided to makethe plastic one and make about a 50 dollar profit on each bowl. Wish i could do this, but I would just waste my money on the parts.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=kuExFcfpzpg (external link)

I got this same dish from the same seller last year and it was $89 w/free shipping. Keep an eye out the price may come back down again. The bag is incredible well worth the extra money. When I switched from AB to Elinchrom I sold it for $100 I now wish I kept it and just got the Elinchrom ring....oh well live and learn.

sponsored links

5,931 views & 0 likes for this thread
So depressed, No Beauty dishes for speedlights
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.