Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 26 Nov 2012 (Monday) 06:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Oops

casp3r
Goldmember
1,489 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Nov 26, 2012 06:36 |  #1

So shot my second wedding just over a month ago and just delivered the disk to the B&G and thankfully they were delighted with the images. However me not being too careful nearly ruined the day for me.

After the ceremony I took the wedding party to a local park, large lake, tree lined avenue etc. Started off at the lake and worked our way around a few other locations in the park. Took around an hour or so. Getting back to the car I suddenly shouted 'f&*k' to my wife who was with me and started to run back in to the park. I had left my camera bag at the first location. It had been unattended for nearly an hour and you can't believe the sense of relief when I found it still there with everything intact.

Anyone done anything similar?

http://www.mcarberypho​to.co.uk (external link)
http://www.niaviation.​co.uk (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
david ­ lee
586 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 26, 2012 07:27 |  #2

I do it all the time :-(
I have a habit of leaving my kit in the church and when taking photos outside, they lock the church and go home.

davidleeimages.co.uk (external link)
pbase (external link)
gear

"My fingers hurt from taking too many photos" D.A.Lee LBIPP

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,949 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 26, 2012 09:27 as a reply to  @ david lee's post |  #3

I was photographing a family at a park. We move up a hill for about 10 mins and my bag was next to everyones coats and some light stands,,, when I came back,, someone ripped off the bag,, Lost about 3k in gear,, now everything is in pelicans and I roll it everywhere I go.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 26, 2012 12:29 |  #4

I've done it once long ago. I thought I'd lost my equipment bag, but it was still at the Church.

I use a backpack now that I never set down, except to change lenses or get something out. I put the pack back on to shoot. It's worked for me.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 26, 2012 13:06 |  #5

At my last wedding, and in the evening, I plucked the B+G from the cocktail hour for a few minutes to grab some shots outside the venue. We shot a few and then moved maybe 20 feet away--but I totally forgot that I left my bag at the first location. My assistant popped back into the venue to look for it, couldn't find it; and I had a, oh, 20 second internal freak-out. I dashed back to the first location and realized how unbelievably clumsy I was. All was safe, despite the area being fairly high traffic, and trafficked mainly by drunken folk at that hour.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 26, 2012 13:58 |  #6

Glad I am not alone. Left my bag unattended in a park and moved to another location. Almost died when I realized what I did. I was lucky though and it was not in a heavily visited park.

I just got a smaller roller so it should help:) We will see *L*

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 26, 2012 20:26 |  #7

I think it's because I spent so much time living in NYC, but I don't dare leave anything unattended. I carry almost everything in a sling backpack (back-up gear) and a shoulder bag (gear being used). One time I checked my bag into the coat check because I was seated at the table right next to it so I could literally have my assistant watch it from where we sat. Probably crazy, unnecessary paranoia, but I've never had anything stolen! *knock on wood*

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

RangersForever
302 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 26, 2012 20:57 |  #8

I also left my bag in a park when I was doing engagement photos... when I went to grab my 70-200 I realised the bag was missing! Thankfully it was where I left it behind a tree safe and sound... never done it again ;)

Scotland Wedding Photographer (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,988 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 27, 2012 01:20 |  #9

One of my assistants jobs is to make sure I don't lose anything. I lost a case of empty memory cards once, and I left a ladder behind that had my name on it, but other than that doing pretty well. I've even kept all my lens caps so far!

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

btmlinedan
Goldmember
1,559 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 28, 2012 08:32 |  #10

tim wrote in post #15294150 (external link)
One of my assistants jobs is to make sure I don't lose anything. I lost a case of empty memory cards once, and I left a ladder behind that had my name on it, but other than that doing pretty well. I've even kept all my lens caps so far!

same with my assistants. If i'm shooting a wedding my gear isn't far from me. It stays ina large pelican case so nobody can 'run off' with it without being totally obvious. Plus i would throw down lol

*dan l *Flickr (external link) l *cars: dkfx Photography (external link) l weddings: Blue Martini Photography (external link) l YN622C tranceiver review (external link)

casp3r
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,489 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Nov 28, 2012 08:43 |  #11

Given where I live if it had been left any longer the army would probably have cordoned off the park and carried out a controlled explosion on my bag lol

http://www.mcarberypho​to.co.uk (external link)
http://www.niaviation.​co.uk (external link)
Facebook (external link)

5W0L3
998 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 04, 2012 20:26 |  #12

Almost lost/left my Singh-ray vari-ND filter once.. never again! lol

Manav
5D III x 2 (gripped) | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 24-70mm IIL | 70-200mm IIL | Some strobes & some speedlights.
Flickr (external link)

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 05, 2012 06:21 |  #13

I've left stuff behind, and found stuff left behind, at many popular wedding locations...
Once found a 100L in a town over an hour from me. Left a biz card with the nearby wedding hall in case someone came looking for it...
Almost 2 weeks later, it's owner emailed asking if I had his lens... Said he had been looking everywhere for it!

I did test drive that100L a bit.... Ended up buying one...

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 05, 2012 14:06 |  #14

SMP_Homer wrote in post #15328662 (external link)
I've left stuff behind, and found stuff left behind, at many popular wedding locations...
Once found a 100L in a town over an hour from me. Left a biz card with the nearby wedding hall in case someone came looking for it...
Almost 2 weeks later, it's owner emailed asking if I had his lens... Said he had been looking everywhere for it!

I did test drive that100L a bit.... Ended up buying one...

wow, good on you for helping that guy out like that!

i've had a bunch of close calls, but the worst lost item was the car key.
my wife went to the car to swap things out, and a couple hours or so later realized she didn't have the key anymore. We were out at a reception at a farm house, where we literally covered acres of ground in the course of that time. All in the dark, all grass. It was a single prius key and we were about an hour and a half from our house where there was a spare. the key essentially can't get locked in the car either, so we knew it wasn't in there.
luckily we didn't need in the car to finish our jobs, and the drunk father of the groom offered his keys to his new truck, but miraculously I eventually found it with the little flashlight i keep in my camera bag.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

sponsored links

2,536 views & 0 likes for this thread
Oops
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.