Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 02 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 22:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

iMac 27" or Macbook Pro 15" Retina

say_cheese
789 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 04, 2012 19:56 |  #16

Lady Tori wrote in post #15318496 (external link)
If you had a choice and were a photographer that does looots of editing?

Depends on what your editing software is. Aperture and other Apple applications have been optimized for the retina display. Adobe products i.e. PS and LR are not optimized for the retina display. If you use PS or LR you'll waste money with retina display.

Tools: I like things with real dials and knobs.

sponsored links
goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 04, 2012 20:12 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

IPS (external link) is "The gorgeous iMac display looks great from any seat in the house. A technology called in-plane switching (IPS) gives you a bright picture with excellent color from nearly any angle. And LED backlighting offers instant-on, uniform brightness with no waiting."

Do you travel so much that you don't have time at home to edit photos? I'd definitely want almost double the screen size for editing so I'd go for the 27" imac.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,832 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 04, 2012 20:34 as a reply to  @ goldboughtrue's post |  #18

As I remember, Adobe should be releasing retina support in the next 2 weeks.

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 04, 2012 20:56 |  #19

If you need something for travel, get the rMBP. If you want something bigger for when you're home, connect an external monitor. Don't fret over Adobe not being retina optimized, it's on the way. My rMBP is the best computer I've ever used.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,832 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 05, 2012 11:20 |  #20

Get an 15" rMBP and hook it to a thunderbolt display. That way you have thunderbolt,HDMI, FW, USB 3 and USB 2 ports (on the display and/or the rMBP) to hook up almost anything. In the field, you have a solid state laptop with a killer screen plus thunderbolt, USB 3 and HDMI. The only negative...the cost. At least you can do a refurbed ATD for $829.

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 05, 2012 13:13 |  #21

What about MBP with a 24" or 27" IPS monitor for docking at home?

you can have the portability and a great monitor at home for use. Would cost roughly the same as rMBP given the path you take.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,832 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 05, 2012 15:48 |  #22

What about MBP with a 24" or 27" IPS monitor for docking at home?

If rMBP + ATD is a budget killer, I would suggest a cMBP or even high end MBA with ATD. The reason is most photographers will likely spend more time on final editing on a large monitor at home or office than they will on the laptop's native screen.

A nice 27" IPS monitor like a Dell U2711 will cost around $700. And it will provide no thunderbolt docking features. For $829 you can get the 27" IPS monitor and thunderbolt docking, integrated camera for FaceTime, and speakers. You can also optionally get Apple Care for it (less than $75 at B&H). If you purchase the ATD at the same time as a MBP, you get them both under the same Apple Care coverage.

bulldog-yota
183 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 05, 2012 15:58 |  #23

Agree with rMBP with thunderbolt display, best of both (at a huge price increase).

I have a rMBP and LR doesn't support it so I switch to full res on the display when editing (just leaving display in default mode doesn't give the WOW factor). With retina support on the rMBP for LR things should get better. I like how it gives you a good feel of the print quality that can be produced, however 15" still doesn't give you 27" real estate to work with (my eyes are only that good).

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 05, 2012 16:24 |  #24

Lady Tori wrote in post #15321426 (external link)
Well not really.. because I'm wondering if it was worth me getting it for when I get get back.. as I'm here and there.. or if I should just stick with the Retina

What's your budget?

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Gliderparentntn
Goldmember
1,582 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 05, 2012 17:09 |  #25

What really gets me is you pay two grand on a 27" iMac that's designed to save space and eliminate clutter yet they don't add a DVD drive in the system they force you to purchase an external unit to do what take up space and make for clutter, isn't an all in one suppose to be just that "All in One" ?
Sorry for the off topic back on your topic it sounds like a MbP and a nice IPS monitor will fit your bill just fine.

James
1DMKIII, 1DsMKIII, 17-40L, 24-70L[COLOR=black], 135[COLOR=red]L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS,200L, 300 f/4L IS, 400 5.6L, 600L, 85 f/1.8, 100 macro, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 85mm 1.4 HSM, 1.4xII + extension tubes, MPe65

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 05, 2012 17:53 |  #26

Gliderparentntn wrote in post #15330820 (external link)
What really gets me is you pay two grand on a 27" iMac that's designed to save space and eliminate clutter yet they don't add a DVD drive in the system they force you to purchase an external unit to do what take up space and make for clutter, isn't an all in one suppose to be just that "All in One" ?

DVD sales have dropped dramatically the last couple of years in favor of VOD. This is why Apple (and some PC vendors) are moving away from optical drives - they simply are unnecessary for most people. I have a USB-powered slimline optical drive in an external enclosure that I use occasionally to rip DVDs to the hard drive, but it doesn't get a lot of use.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Dec 05, 2012 18:06 |  #27

I just got a new rMBR - I say go for the retina... I am having to go back and re-edit some things, because I just couldn't see them on larger non-retina displays.

The MBP is an incredible machine. Unless you like being chained to your office with the iMac(many people do), the MBP is just as powerful for the most part, and the screen more than makes up for any other shortcomings.

Yes, color me impressed with the MBP... 8-)

RCB
140 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 05, 2012 18:10 as a reply to  @ Tony-S's post |  #28

I am in the same boat on whether to buy a rMBP or the IMac. I would prefer the IMac but I just know that the next generation, probably be updated in the spring, will have a retina display. I am sure that would kill any future resale value of this IMac. I am leaning towards the retina mac book pro and just hooking it up to my Dell 24" but that IMac looks really nice.

Robert
http://robertburgephot​o.com (external link)
Canon - 1DX Mk II | 7D Mk II | 15 f2.8 FE | 17-40 f4.0L | 24-70 f2.8L | 85 f1.8 | 135 f2.0L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 300 f2.8L IS | 500 f4.0L IS | 1.4 TC

Gliderparentntn
Goldmember
1,582 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 05, 2012 18:12 |  #29

Tony-S wrote in post #15330979 (external link)
DVD sales have dropped dramatically the last couple of years in favor of VOD. This is why Apple (and some PC vendors) are moving away from optical drives - they simply are unnecessary for most people. I have a USB-powered slimline optical drive in an external enclosure that I use occasionally to rip DVDs to the hard drive, but it doesn't get a lot of use.

It's not so much for watching movies when we order software and it comes in a DVD how do we magically install it on a computer without a DVD player? I also agree VOD is great but some of us live in areas where we can't get high speed Internet so we are limited to dial up or satellite in which I have the latter and with data caps VOD can burn thru 10 GB band width in a hurry.
I mean seriously a 20.00 drive won't kill or hurt profits in a 2000.00 computer.

James
1DMKIII, 1DsMKIII, 17-40L, 24-70L[COLOR=black], 135[COLOR=red]L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS,200L, 300 f/4L IS, 400 5.6L, 600L, 85 f/1.8, 100 macro, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 85mm 1.4 HSM, 1.4xII + extension tubes, MPe65

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 05, 2012 18:17 |  #30

Gliderparentntn wrote in post #15331047 (external link)
It's not so much for watching movies when we order software and it comes in a DVD how do we magically install it on a computer without a DVD player? I also agree VOD is great but some of us live in areas where we can't get high speed Internet so we are limited to dial up or satellite in which I have the latter and with data caps VOD can burn thru 10 GB band width in a hurry.
I mean seriously a 20.00 drive won't kill or hurt profits in a 2000.00 computer.

The exclusion of the optical drive from the new iMacs had nothing to do with money, and everything to do with style.

sponsored links

23,670 views & 0 likes for this thread
iMac 27" or Macbook Pro 15" Retina
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.