Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Dec 2012 (Thursday) 05:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5Dc vs 6D - a first impression (with samples)

grunticus
204 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 06, 2012 05:38 |  #1

After only half a day, I want to share my impressions after comparing my new 6D to my old 5Dc.

Build:
The 5Dc feels solid and well built, and so does the 6D. It (the 6D) reminds me of my old 7D. All are built solidly, but all have a different 'feel' to them. I do not prefer any over the other, to be short.

The selection wheel is easy to use, accurate, and gives enough haptic feedback. So far, I do not miss the joystick on the 5Dc / 7D. Selecting your AF point on the 6D is just as easy using the wheel or the Q-button.

Handling:
Ahh! Finally I have the Q-button back! Although on the 5Dc, due to it's limited options, it was always a breeze to change a setting, even the deeper ones since they were all together in one menu.

With a lens attached, I cannot say the 6D feels lighter than a 5Dc.

[drumroll] AF performance:
I have given the 6D a run for it's money by using the x2 II extender on mu 70-200 II. Using center point only, the 6D is NOT focusing faster than the 5Dc. In low light, using all 11 points or just the center point, the 6D is A LOT faster (hunts much less).

With the 70-200 II or 16-35 II I am not sure yet if the 6D really focuses faster or more accurate. This remains to be seen, I will report when I am able to post a well-informed opinion.

In AI servo, I got about 50% keepers (AF wise) taken of our cat walking towards me. This was in very dim light. I have left the AF settings in the menu on default, I will play with them over time to see what gives me the best results.

IQ with good lighting conditions:
I can only say I don;t see much difference between 5Dc and 6D shots. That, my dear fellow enthousiasts, is a compliment to the 6D.

IQ with bad lighting conditions:
Well, there's no competition here. 6D is fenomenal.

Samples (SOOC RAW conversion to JPG with resizing):
5Dc:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

6D:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

5Dc:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

6D:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Some 6D high ISO (12800) samples. The third was taken over WiFi (I am in the background triggering the sutter on my PC):
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Eos 5D | EF 40 2.8 STM

sponsored links
TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 06, 2012 07:32 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

It may be the fact that I just bought a 5Dc, but I like the shots from the 5Dc better in the first two comparisons. Both of them seem to have better DR than the 6D shots. Of course, the 5Dc can't even do the other shots. Your cat seems to need some medical attention.

Gear List

grunticus
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 06, 2012 07:42 |  #3

I forgot to say: the cat has a food allergy, and is now getting special food on doctor's orders.

As for the photos: I am still learning about the settings on the 6D. After looking just now I think you may be right. I'll try if color temp and saturation can improve things.

TSchrief wrote in post #15332923 (external link)
It may be the fact that I just bought a 5Dc, but I like the shots from the 5Dc better in the first two comparisons. Both of them seem to have better DR than the 6D shots. Of course, the 5Dc can't even do the other shots. Your cat seems to need some medical attention.

Eos 5D | EF 40 2.8 STM

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 06, 2012 07:49 |  #4

It just goes to show what a phenomenal camera the 5Dc was when it was released. Still love mine.

scrane
63 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 06, 2012 08:48 |  #5

It's obvious that your boy prefers the 5D.

tccin3D
186 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 06, 2012 18:57 as a reply to  @ scrane's post |  #6

5dc looks better :)

Brendo666
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 06, 2012 19:10 |  #7

Looks like its really close between the two!,

Are you wearing any bottoms? Haha I think that last one belongs in the G&N section!

-Brendan B.
Graphic Designer | Photographer
5D III | 5D III | Σ 35 1.4 Art | 35 1.4L | 85 1.8 | 100 2.8L | 135 2L
Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 06, 2012 23:46 |  #8

Looks very close, like the 6d night street shots

CTR
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 07, 2012 00:34 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #9

Thanks for doing this comparison. I'm also in the same boat - I have a 5Dc and I'm thinking of upgrading to the 6D. My only concern is if the color from the 6D matches that of the 5Dc and if the 6D can achieve proper flash exposures.

If it's possible, can you post some comparison pics between the 5Dc and the 6D using the same manual settings (shutter, aperture and ISO)? The 5Dc pics are shot with different ISO and shutter speed settings compared to the 6D.

Thanks!

grunticus
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 07, 2012 02:11 |  #10

Haha. yes of course.

Brendo666 wrote in post #15335593 (external link)
Looks like its really close between the two!,

Are you wearing any bottoms? Haha I think that last one belongs in the G&N section!

Eos 5D | EF 40 2.8 STM

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 07, 2012 02:34 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

rick_reno wrote in post #15336489 (external link)
Looks very close, like the 6d night street shots

Gotta agree with that. My 5D is never going to get an ISO 12,800 shot!

Gear List

Helena
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 07, 2012 04:48 |  #12

Thank you very much for doing this! I have the old 5D and am thinking about upgrading to 6D, so this is most interesting. Please keep posting your findings and if you have time, more comparisons.

The high ISO shots looks very impressive, but I'm not sure I like the low ISO stuff. The photos from 6D look slightly less sharp, somewhat harsher and have a magenta tone.

Flickr (external link)

grunticus
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 07, 2012 09:21 |  #13

Will do. Today it has been snowing the whole time and it's gloomy out, so no joy. I will walk around the neigbourhood tomorrow and shoot with both using the 70-200 II without extender. That should rule out any lens-quality related quirks :)

Helena wrote in post #15336907 (external link)
Thank you very much for doing this! I have the old 5D and am thinking about upgrading to 6D, so this is most interesting. Please keep posting your findings and if you have time, more comparisons.

The high ISO shots looks very impressive, but I'm not sure I like the low ISO stuff. The photos from 6D look slightly less sharp, somewhat harsher and have a magenta tone.

Eos 5D | EF 40 2.8 STM

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 07, 2012 09:32 |  #14

Off-topic question: what happened to your cat?

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

grunticus
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 07, 2012 09:43 |  #15

He has a food allergy, and is currently on special food to see if that resloves his sorrow. Going uphill so far.

mclaren777 wrote in post #15337537 (external link)
Off-topic question: what happened to your cat?

Eos 5D | EF 40 2.8 STM

sponsored links

43,207 views & 0 likes for this thread
5Dc vs 6D - a first impression (with samples)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.