Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 06 Dec 2012 (Thursday) 16:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got Scammed on Craigslist

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,860 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 06, 2012 17:42 |  #16

Fester wrote in post #15335262 (external link)
Ditto what he said.
So Greed got to ya?
One of the 7 deadly sins....

That's cold. Is it really necessary? I am sure OP feels miserable as it is.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links
jherm87
385 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 06, 2012 17:48 |  #17

Everytime I put a lens on craigslist I get someone trying to get me to ship it. They act like they want to meet, but then tell me they need it shipped somewhere in the US. Each time they have offered me $50-$100 more than I am asking just to ship it, funny that takes it over amazon price shipped so you know its a scam anyway.

It seems that no matter what I try to sell someone comes with the whole we can use paypal, and you will be protected bs, but I have seen how easy it is to get your money as a buyer and not even have to return a perfectly useable item.

If I wanted to ship it, I'd list it on the forum, other than that craigslist should probably only be used for ftf

[T3i gripped] [18-55][55-250 4.5/5.6][28mm 1.8][40mm 2.8][50mm 1.4][50mm 1.8][Samyang 8mm fisheye][580exII, 430ex, 220ex]

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 06, 2012 17:58 |  #18

Fester wrote in post #15335262 (external link)
Ditto what he said.
So Greed got to ya?
One of the 7 deadly sins....

So is wrath and pride, big boy.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

jmckayak
500 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2009

Dec 06, 2012 18:03 |  #19

To Freesoul: Thanks for sharing the info. Always good to be reminded that thieves are always lurking.

smilebug
954 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 06, 2012 18:04 |  #20

Oh, that's horrible. :( At least it wasn't a super expensive lens, but still, what a loss! I remember when I almost fell for this a few years back. I was only 13 so I guess I didn't know things TOO well but my parents convinced me not to do it and I have got to say, parents know best! I hope the scammer gets bad Karma, that's all I can say.

My camera ♥'s my dogs more than me...*sigh*
My Gear & Feedback ~ Flickr (external link)
{{jessica}}

kouasupra
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2008

Dec 06, 2012 18:11 as a reply to  @ post 15335274 |  #21

First red flag. Scammer always states " is the item still for sale"? Second red flag it's not a local number. Third red flag is scammer always use Paypal method on Craigslist.

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 06, 2012 18:15 |  #22

One more tip is to only pay for shipping with funds you receive. I never pay shipping out of pocket before initiating a paypal transfer to my account. then I know for sure the money is actually there. Granted I only sell stuff on craigslist because I am too lazy to box it up in the first place. The furthest I ever got was someone sent me a check for an item they were going to pick up. The check was a fraud when I took it to the bank and I notified the buyer just what I would do if they came to pick up the item (I was a little steamed and well armed).

Now I only do cash/paypal and check bills for authenticity over $50. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Adam - Upstate NY:

sil40sx
896 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 06, 2012 18:22 |  #23

K6AZ wrote in post #15335256 (external link)
Rules fpr selling on CL:

Do not accept PayPal for anything

Do not ship anything

Local sales only

Cash only

I see in your OP you already know where your mistakes were here so I won't rub them in.

+ 1 on this ^^^

I also always say no local contact number = no response.

5oopx (external link)

Daship
765 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 06, 2012 18:46 |  #24

Also, many scammers will send you a fake paypal email showing you have money. Always log in and check your paypal account. If the money aint in when you log in it is a scam.

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 06, 2012 18:52 |  #25

Daship wrote in post #15335169 (external link)
I will give you $5000 for your camera if you western union me $5500. I live in USA so its definitely not a scam.

You fail fraudster test. Where's the lure in this? If you follow the supposedly great offer, you'll lose $500 (while in reality you'll lose $5500) + the item you're selling.

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 06, 2012 18:55 |  #26

Daship wrote in post #15335516 (external link)
Also, many scammers will send you a fake paypal email showing you have money. Always log in and check your paypal account. If the money aint in when you log in it is a scam.

... and do NOT follow/click the link to Paypal on scammer's email or else the scammer will get your username/password.

FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 06, 2012 19:04 |  #27

Hey, I am not angry at anyone on here who is just posting the truth, I didn't pay enough attention. I wanted to get the lens out of my hair and get my money back and I ignored all the signs. And I agree with so many on here naming off the lessons I have learned from this, things I knew but for some reason I chose to ignore at this very moment in time. The whole point I went onto craigslist was to sell it locally, and I didn't even stick to it. Lessons learned, face to face is better, no shipping and no dealing with paypal. Heck the guy who bought my older lens came into my office and asked if I had change for a ten, he originally wanted to pay $100 for them, but I wouldn't budge from $130 so he was hoping I would take $110 instead..... little did he know I have a little piggy bank in my office full of change. I am angry with it, but I learned and can only hope that karma will get that jerk.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*
www.FreeSoulPhotograph​y.smugmug.com (external link)
Gear: Canon EOS 70D, 430EX II flash, Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD II, Canon 18-55mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 06, 2012 19:13 |  #28

Well, it could have been much worse, I've read of people being done out of 1Ds3 and 5D2 bodies when they were still selling at full price. Good luck in the future.

Flickr (external link)

bskart15
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 06, 2012 19:14 |  #29

Sorry to hear you got scammed.

Canon T3i Gripped / Canon 18-55 / Canon 55-250 / Canon 100 mm 2.8L macro / Canon 40 mm 2.8 Pancake / Canon 430 EX II / Kenko Tubes

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 06, 2012 19:20 |  #30

FreeSoul1987 wrote in post #15335094 (external link)
I contacted USPS, and I cannot get it back because I would have to actually ask the buyer and being a scammer I know he will only laugh at me.

Another stupid thing was using USPS for International shipment. If it was UPS as a seller you could have diverted the package back to you with ease. I would still call the USPS again and ask to speek with a supervisor or someone who can help you with mail related fraud.

https://postalinspecto​rs.uspis.gov/contactUs​/phoneus.aspx (external link)

sponsored links

6,007 views & 0 likes for this thread
Got Scammed on Craigslist
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.