Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Dec 2012 (Thursday) 18:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your LightRules Moment (you freak out about photo and realize it's your mistake)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 06, 2012 18:46 |  #1

For those of you who don't remember, LightRules posted up a thread years ago, freaking out about something (I think it was his 40D not shooting at full FPS) only to realize it was his mistake, he had it set on the wrong mode...it's been a funny and often referenced moment in POTN history ever since. Heck, there's even an Urban Dictionary entry on this!

http://www.urbandictio​nary.com …?term=LightRule​s%20Moment (external link)

So...what was YOUR LightRules moment? (Or moments).

My most recent one was with my 5D2. I ordered it in Canada and since import/shipping fees in Korea are nuts, I waited a few months to actually get it in my hands and shoot with it...I met up with some friends in Europe and they brought it with them.

On my first day of shooting, things were great for a little bit, then all went haywire. The camera was overexposing like a mother! (I always shoot on manual, but on nice, sunny, evenly lit days, keep the meter in the middle)...I was freaking out, this was a once-in-a-lifetime month-long backpacking trip with my friends, and I had just returned to the village I was born in, and hadn't been to in 19 years, and all my photos were absolute crap. I immediately regretted buying the thing and was losing my mind thinking all my pictures from this trip would be messed up and, at best, I'll have to constantly compensate for my camera's faulty metering.

Well, after a little bit of this, I finally realized that while 99% of the controls are the same on the 5D2 as my old 5Dc, changing the ISO wasn't. While trying to change the ISO while monkeying around with the camera when I first got it, I bumped the exposure compensation and didn't notice it...put that back to the middle and ended up happily using the camera for 5,000 shots on that trip. :D

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,483 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 06, 2012 18:57 |  #2

When I first got my 1D4 I played around with video mode one day and then forgot about it. I used the camera for a couple more months with no problems.

Then I went to take a photo of a sunset on a tripod with the camera nearly on the ground. To make things easy, I turned on live view to compose the shot. I spent the next 5 minutes trying desperately (as the sunset was quickly progressing) to figure out why I could not set a shutter speed slower than 1/30th of a second.

I finally realized that the damn thing was trying to make a video in live view mode and I fixed it in the menu. That was really frustrating, but not too surprising for someone who does not shoot videos.

This was the picture, BTW.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
9,909 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 06, 2012 20:48 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #3

I don't like the direction this thread is going... :mad:

ejenner
Goldmember
3,746 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 07, 2012 17:28 as a reply to  @ LightRules's post |  #4

I was shooting bracketed photos using Magic Lantern and tried to change something in a menu and suddenly the camera starts taking shots by itself. I don't exactly remember the course of events, but i switched off the ML bracketing, it stopped taking pictures, then went back to the main menu - it started again, then switched of the camera and took the battery out (best think to do if you suspect a ML problem).

Basically this when on for a good 5 minutes back and forth, with me thinking that ML had somehow after all this time bricked my camera.

Finally I realized that my remote was stuck on shoot. Now I hear you ask "surely if the camera 'starts taking shots by itself', that would be one of the first things to check?" But no, I was too busy freaking out instead.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,699 views & 0 likes for this thread
Post your LightRules Moment (you freak out about photo and realize it's your mistake)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.