Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 21:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official T4i Thread

Photolady
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 04, 2012 17:47 |  #586

patrick j wrote in post #15288799 (external link)
I just upgraded from an Xsi to T4i. The T4i and 60d are very similar cameras. I think the T4i has the auto-focus system from the 60d, so I'd think the ability to focus quickly should be about the same, and I also think the noise level at higher ISO levels is probably going to be pretty close. The T4i actually has a slightly higher max ISO setting. Sensor-wise the 60d and T3i and T4i and 7D are all using virtually the same one. So I think you'll get everything you need from the T4i.

I did the same getting a good deal on Cyber Monday. I'm still getting things set up in Lightroom etc for this camera and can't wait for our new Christmas tree to arrive so I can try some shots. While I loved my XSi it wasn't focusing well after being dropped on hard surfaces twice and repaired. 18 megapixels is like a dream come true!

sponsored links
milcs
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 05, 2012 02:58 |  #587

Hello!
I have been following this thread and it has been a good inspiring one on the road to get my own Canon 650D (Europe here...)! I have received the camera from Amazon two weeks ago and I have been loving it since. Nevertheless, the love comes with a bit of a pain! And thus I am here writing and looking for help/opinions.

So, basically I have received my first 650D+18-135 Kit lens from Amazon two weeks ago (as I previously mentioned). One day, while taking pictures of the moon in the morning, I noticed some dark spots on the photo:

Original

IMAGE: http://i47.tinypic.com/2rpwkna.jpg

Auto Tone in PS6 for better visualization
IMAGE: http://i50.tinypic.com/25i0xtx.jpg

On the second picture even more dark spots become evident. I was obviously upset and contacted Amazon to get a replacement. They were super fast in shipping a replacement and I have received the new camera while still having the first camera with me. What did I do? I obviously started comparing them...

Apart from the spots, the first camera seemed quite impressive and the quality of the pictures was amazing (coming from an old Powershot G10, this was a big step up). When I compared the photos of the two side by side, I couldn't help noticing that the new camera is producing much softer (not sharp/not perfectly focused) images. Moreover, under the same light, shooting settings, etc... the new camera produces significantly darker images. It seems like the new sensor is not as sensitive... Is this possible?

Here is a 100% crop of a side by side comparison of the different cameras:
Second Camera
IMAGE: http://i45.tinypic.com/90sgh4.jpg

First Camera
IMAGE: http://i45.tinypic.com/2uj01nc.jpg

What would you guys do? Any help/comments/suggesti​ons would be very useful!
Thank you so much and sorry for the slightly OCD post! :)

PS: Sorry, the pictures are huge! I am not entirely sure how can I make them smaller to better fit the forum...

swhiggins
127 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 06, 2012 09:34 as a reply to  @ milcs's post |  #588

My first thought is that one of the bodies has exposure compensation dialed in, so you might want to check that. It could be either body, + comp on the original or - comp on the new.

My second thought is do you have the same metering mode selected, center-weighted would give different results than matrix metering, etc.

Lastly, are the cameras running the same version of firmware? It is possible that Canon made a change along the way. Maybe they found that the early T4i cameras were overexposing or something...

Just some things to check.

Good Luck,
Steve

~Steve~ | 60D | S95 | 10-22 | 15-85 | 55-250 | 60 | 50/1.8 I

JasonMK
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 06, 2012 10:41 |  #589

milcs wrote in post #15328365 (external link)
PS: Sorry, the pictures are huge! I am not entirely sure how can I make them smaller to better fit the forum...

Hosting the photos is always a great way to go, and you can get an account for free.

Also, the EXIF info has been stripped from the images and other than seeing they were both processed through CS5 any of the settings on the shot are lost. Care to repost the original RAW or JPEG straight from the camera via Flickr or a link to wherever you chose to host them? Always best to rule out the easy stuff (swhiggins may have been onto something.

-JasonMK on Flickr (external link)
1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

milcs
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 06, 2012 14:22 |  #590

Good evening and thank you so much for your answers.

So, I have made sure to reset both cameras to factory settings (not to have any differences in settings).
Also, I have selected the same metering mode, selecting the central AF point and tried to keep the settings exactly the same.
Finally, firmware version is still the same.

In the end, I phoned Amazon and decided to keep the camera with the spots on the sensor (the first one I received, which is actually a newer camera in terms of production). I realized that this is dust on the sensor (a bit strange for a brand new camera), but I think this can be easily solved... Whereas a mediocre sensor is not!

What do you guys think? Is this a wise decision? Just to reiterate the problem with the spots on the sensor, here is the JPG in Flickr (thanks for the heads up!!!):

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8341/8249648543_31b899911a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/milcs/824964854​3/  (external link)
IMG_0438 (external link) by MilCs40 (external link), on Flickr

For the camera comparison, here are a couple of photos more:
Old camera (the one I am keeping)
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8345/8249790171_194015ab2e_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/milcs/824979017​1/  (external link)
IMG_0047 (external link) by MilCs40 (external link), on Flickr

New camera (the one I am sending back)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_0120 (external link) by MilCs40 (external link), on Flickr

What do you guys think? Am I going crazy? :)

frog21
46 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 06, 2012 15:29 as a reply to  @ milcs's post |  #591

This is my first post on the forum. I just got my new T4i with the 18 - 135 STM lens. I had to run out and snap a quick shot of something. I spent a couple of minutes in PS and made a few small adjustments.

The past few years I just shot a point and shoot but back in the old film days I shot Leicas, Nikons, Hasselblad and some 4 X 5. I am trying to get back into some decent image work. Having only a few minutes with the new T4i, I like it so far.

Dale

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

The Only Easy Day, Was Yesterday

JasonMK
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 06, 2012 15:47 |  #592

milcs wrote in post #15334506 (external link)
What do you guys think?

If it was just dust, then you should be good to go! Dust happens, just be careful if you are going in there yourself to clean it (beyond the self cleaning when you turn the camera off)

frog21 wrote in post #15334802 (external link)
This is my first post on the forum. I just got my new T4i with the 18 - 135 STM lens. I had to run out and snap a quick shot of something.

Welcome Dale!

1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

KT29
Goldmember
3,370 posts
Gallery: 254 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 06, 2012 18:07 as a reply to  @ JasonMK's post |  #593

Picked up my T4i a bit ago. Haven't had much time to use it yet. But it does look like its a keeper. I might add, that these pics are also very large crops. Taken with a canon 70-200 F4L.

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://img197.imagesha​ck.us/img197/3149/img0​048jkx.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

EMBED PREVENTED
CUSTOM DOWNLOAD SIZE LIMIT 2.5 MB EXCEEDED: 3.76 MB
http://img404.imagesha​ck.us/img404/5341/img0​054qj.jpg

Terry -- The Squeaky wheel gets the grease, but sometimes it's just better
to Replace it.

kenshap
367 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 06, 2012 21:39 |  #594

That second shot is sharp as a tack. Very impressive.

Canon T6s (battery grip) | Canon T4i (aftermarket battery grip) | Canon T2i | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF-S 55 - 250 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro | Canon 40mm

milcs
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 07, 2012 01:57 |  #595

Hello again!

Just wanted to ask you guys a last question regarding my camera and the dust spots I can see on the sensor. I was further inspecting this problem, and I ended up taking a picture of a white background (on my computer), at the smallest aperture possible (telescopic end of the zoom) and at ISO 100. Of course this is a very unlikely shooting setting (at least for my kind of amateur photography), but here is what I get:

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8348/8251009847_9806c9c9f8_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/milcs/825100984​7/  (external link)
IMG_0082 (external link) by MilCs40 (external link), on Flickr

You can already see the dust spots on the image. If I now take this photo and auto level it on photoshop... nightmare! :)

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8490/8252079942_ab38c93787_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/milcs/825207994​2/  (external link)
Dust_PS (external link) by MilCs40 (external link), on Flickr

Is this normal for a 2 week old camera? Mind you I only have the lens that came with the kit and hardly ever change it and try to be as fast and clean while doing it. I don't want to be obsessed about it... but it's too difficult!!! :) I will probably try to clean it somehow and see if it improves. I could send it back to Amazon to be replaced, but I am afraid I would just end with one I wasn't so pleased with (on the other aspects of photo quality). Anyone ever tried to clean their T4i/650D sensor?

Another quick question... On the photoshoped image, there is a peculiar spot that intrigues me. It is smaller than the other spots and it has a white halo around it. It's on the top-left side of the photo, on the right of a big dust spot. What exactly is it? A dust spot on the lens or somewhere else rather than the sensor?

Again, sorry for my OCD posts! And I would like to highlight I am totally in love with this camera! It really is amazing and I think it is going to be a good companion in entering the world of DSLRs.

JasonMK
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 07, 2012 06:37 |  #596

^^^That first picture is suppose to be white? I assume if you take a 2nd shot you come up with the same spots in the same place? Do you have the "auto clean" turned on? I assume yes, since it is on by default and you mentioned you set your camera back to factory settings (BTW, do you still have the 2nd camera and can you also take a comparison shot?). I've had my T1i for two years and have never needed to clean the sensor, but it isn't too hard if you are careful.

milcs
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 07, 2012 06:58 |  #597

Hello! The first picture is suposed to be white, yes... but I shot it at very low aperture (32, if my memory doesn't fail) and ISO 100. Plus, the white balance might not work great on a shot like that!

For the position of the spots, these do not move. I do have the feeling that more spots appeared (particularly if I compare to the photos of the moon above, in which I first detected the spots). The spots are not evident at high apertures and become more visible at low apertures and when taking photos with light backgrounds (white background, a blue sky). Typical of dust spots (from what I gathered).
I also tried the 2nd camera... I will post some photos tonight! I can still find spots... but they are less prominent and there are much less spots.

I wouldn't worry much about it but: 1- you never cleaned it in two years, I have to clean it after two weeks; 2- once you notice these, you go in paranoid mode!

I will try to get some Eclipse and clean it like that. If it does not improve, I will decide whether to send back to Amazon or whether to get it serviced by Canon!

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 07, 2012 07:13 |  #598

Dust spots are easily correctable, but having said that, one shouldn't have dust on a 2 week old camera. I might have sent the camera back if it had 2 week old dust. It's kind of a catch 22 because now you've received a camera that might have other issues. This isn't a good experience thus far.....

_
My Gear is ---> Here

milcs
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 07, 2012 08:22 |  #599

Well... The thing is, Amazon did send me a camera to replace my 650D. But the quality of the photos from the replacement camera was considerably worst than my original camera (to my naive eye, they were less focused and less sharp).

I was going to ask for a 2nd replacement camera, but Amazon.FR will only have them available in 1-2 months. As I really wanted the camera, they offered me a 15% discount on the camera if I decided to keep it. I said yes, but at that point I haven't explored this issue in depth. I wasn't aware of the amount of black spots that could be seen.

Saying this... I can also see some dust spots on the new replacement camera (much less... I will post a photo later today). Maybe I am being paranoid... In any case, I do believe the first camera I received had been used before. The camera had 20-40 shots made (as determined by the EOS count program) and the function selector was a bit stiff and not clicking. But I thought... For 15% off, I might as well keep a camera that I know gives me photos I would be happy with (after I remove the dirt). On top of that... I have a 2 year warranty (this is me trying to convince myself not to give in to my emotional self)!!!

Anyway... I am a bit lost on what to do. I ordered a basic kit from Copperhill (eclipse+pecpads), I will try to use that and, if I get rid of the dust I think I will keep it. If not, I will contact Amazon and say I can't live with the problem!

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 07, 2012 08:54 |  #600

milcs wrote in post #15337284 (external link)
Well... The thing is, Amazon did send me a camera to replace my 650D. But the quality of the photos from the replacement camera was considerably worst than my original camera (to my naive eye, they were less focused and less sharp).

Were you using the same lens to test shoot the replacement 650D? Did you take a bunch of shots?

_
My Gear is ---> Here

sponsored links

492,341 views & 52 likes for this thread
Official T4i Thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.