Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 29 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 06:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Calling all dog owners

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 30, 2012 11:51 as a reply to  @ post 15303485 |  #16

Wow, guys, that was great. That's a lot to digest. In the past few days my wife has been putting real pressure on me to come up with an answer. It's basically like she's decided we are getting a dog, she's just waiting for me to come to terms with her decision. Women.. pfffft! :P

All of your experiences are invaluable which helps me weigh the pros and cons much better. All of these wonderful contributions of insight and testimonials are much appreciated.

And you guys are right - I am pretty much screwed. She brings up this topic consistently in our time together and the supports for my arguments are beginning to crack and crumble under the intense strain of her own reasoning. "Resistance is futile"

It's not that I don't like dogs, but we have three kids (boy 6, boy 4, girl 2) and I'm already bleeding guilt from not having enough to give them with all of life's demands. She's insistent that having a dog won't strain my already depleted time/energy and that it will only help in building up the kid's sense of responsibility. Yeah, that's what I heard before I caved and agreed to a kitten, and guess who the only person was that changed the litter box...

In a perfect world where I worked modest hours, lived on a large property, and where everybody balanced the household chores harmoniously, I would love to have a pure bred golden retriever (a fantasy I likely built up from the childhood novels I used to read). But the reality is I'm just another father trapped in the rat race who misses his kids a whole lot. Maybe if I warm up to it, a pet dog would bring us closer together. It might even pre-occupy my two year old daughter who is always hanging onto my arm while I'm trying to do book-keeping at my computer... Either way, it seems I must cooperate with she who must be obeyed so that I can silence her infinite pestering ;) (I love you, babe, if you're reading this!)

It's a relief to know that with the proper management in place, my material possessions aren't as vulnerable to destruction as much as I initially feared.

One last question. How often do dogs need walking, on average (a boxer as an example)? I'm just concerned because if I'm home all the time with either my two year old or all three kids (home from school, Christmas holidays), I can't just leave the kids indoors by themselves while I'm out walking the dog. It seems like a it would be a big chore for all four of us to be involved with the dog each and every time the dog wants to go out and burn off some energy. Being that I'm in the frigid cold of Northern Ontario, that's a lot of snowsuits to get on in the winter for a single outing!

Thanks again, guys! :D

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links
Harpo63
265 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 30, 2012 12:13 |  #17

Perlallica, if you got a certain breed of dog, with the right temperament and activity level, you could probably coexist with the dog given the very limited time you say your family has available to give to a dog. That probably means adopting an older, more mellow, calm dog. Having never owned a dog before, you might find yourself loving being a dog owner. Maybe not.

What bothers me the most is that your wife- I hope she is reading this- seems very unreasonable! Like others have said, a dog is NOT a toy! Dogs turn destructive in homes (as shown here) out of boredom and lack of attention. You MUST invest time, love and training to have a hopefully good dog live with you. If the reality is that neither of you have the time or desire to properly take care of a dog, please do not get one for the sake of the dog! There are more than enough neglected dogs being dumped in shelters due to stupid owners not taking care of them properly or not having the time nor desire to do what is right. (How do you think your kids will turn out if you did not give them any time or attention? Yeah, plenty of families out there with messed up kids thanks to poor parenting)

All dogs need some exercise and need to go outside regularly to relieve themselves, even if its 20 below in a blizzard in northern ontario at 5:30 in the morning while its dark out. At minimum, you really need to take them out for about 20 -30 minutes of walking/exercising twice a day. Breeders will say 3x day. More for certain breeds. Please take the time on DOG forums not photography forums to learn more about responsibilities of caring for a dog and decide if you really can and want to do this. If your wife continues to insist and won't take the time to care for a dog and you let her be the alpha dog in your marriage, then get her a stuffed dog. Sorry if it sounds cruel. This is coming from a 20+ year multiple dog owner.

5D3 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-70 f2.8 II L : 70-200 f2.8 II L : 50mm f1.4 : 600EX-RT

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 30, 2012 12:39 |  #18

Great words of advice, Harpo63. I actually did tell my wife I would prefer an older dog vs. a hyperactive pup. She's insistant on a pup. Ah, but to expect rational thought from a woman is, as always it seems, asking too much.

I was stumbling around the dog forums of the interweb already, however, I know many of this users and I thought I would get feedback in a place with more familiarity and comfort. I've been pleasantly surprised by the excellent contributions thus far!

I'll be keeping the issue firmly pressed and seek out more knowledge and advice in the mean time. Not going to hastily rush to a half-thought out decision. The debate will roll on still. Hopefully ending upon the right decision that is agreed on by all.

Grumps ­ Photo
Suffering Keyboard in Mouth desease
2,012 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Nov 30, 2012 19:26 |  #19

Northern Ontario = Big Back Yard? Fence it in and let the dog run free.

Young Children = Tender Chew Toys :-)

Doesn't sound like you're going to get a lot of help from the kids in maintaining or cleaning up after this puppy. Though the puppy will occupy them for about 30 minutes a day.

Golden Retriever? They make Labs look intelligent! I've noted that Labs do not get a brain until around three years old. From experience. Gorgeous dog, but ........

I really can't say enough about everyone being on board about a dog in the house.

As an aside, I came home from school the other night (photoshop course) and my wife had already gone to bed. I read and had a snack and then went to bed. The black lab had jumped up on the bed and cuddled into my wife. When I woke her up getting the dog off the bed, she said she had thought it was me cuddling in to keep her warm! Guys are so easily replaced :-(

Grumps
(aka Jim or JAZZ D.P.G.)
1DsMKIII, 1DMKIII, T6s, D60, L's, DO, USM, other lens, flashes, studio gear (but no studio!) Olympus TG3
grumpsphoto.com

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 30, 2012 20:09 |  #20

JAZZ D.P.G. wrote in post #15310314 (external link)
As an aside, I came home from school the other night (photoshop course) and my wife had already gone to bed. I read and had a snack and then went to bed. The black lab had jumped up on the bed and cuddled into my wife. When I woke her up getting the dog off the bed, she said she had thought it was me cuddling in to keep her warm! Guys are so easily replaced :-(

Does that mean she's used to you slobbering and drooling all over her back? :lol:

Kel
Gear

mario66
234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 30, 2012 23:17 |  #21

LV Moose wrote in post #15303857 (external link)
We have had our Golden Retriever for a year; brought him home as a new pup. I was worried he'd chew our leather furniture. But you know, we leave him inside for 11 hours 2-3 days a week while we're at work (no doggy door). No chewed furniture, no destroyed camera gear, which I leave on a futon regularly, no accidents (except when he was very young). No formal training.

The worst he's done is unroll toilet paper, which is actually pretty funny, or get into the bathroom garbage and chew up tissues.

Good puppy. :D

And he gives me an excuse to get out and go for walks.

Goldens are PERFECT!!!!! :D

---------------
6D / 60D / S95 : 55-250 / 50 1.8 / Tam17-50 2.8 / Tamron 28-105 2.8/ 70-200 f4L/ 430EXII/ Tokina 11-16 f2.8 / Sigma 18-35 1.8 / Canon 24-70 f4

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 01, 2012 09:55 |  #22

JAZZ D.P.G. wrote in post #15310314 (external link)
Northern Ontario = Big Back Yard? Fence it in and let the dog run free.

Young Children = Tender Chew Toys :-)

Golden Retriever? They make Labs look intelligent! I've noted that Labs do not get a brain until around three years old. From experience. Gorgeous dog, but ........

:-(

According to this list, http://petrix.com/dogi​nt/1-10.html (external link) , Golden Retrievers are rated higher in intelligence than Labs. My first Lab was extremely intelligent, you can't ever make me believe that dogs can't think. He was a schemer. Labs are puppies for a long time for sure. My second one still reverts to puppy behavior at age 8. Luckily neither one ever chewed anything that wasn't given to them as a toy. The second one knows all the commands but he chooses when to obey them, stubborn is an understatement.

We had a Border Collie when I was a kid, she was a very smart dog, she learned on her own how to open a door to get in or out when she pleased. The upside of Border Collies is that their instinct for herding can come in handy on family outings, they will bring a stray child back to the herd naturally. Labs will do the same thing but you have to throw the child first. :lol:

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

thomascanty
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.
38,071 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Dec 02, 2012 02:57 |  #23

breal101 wrote in post #15312067 (external link)
We had a Border Collie when I was a kid, she was a very smart dog, she learned on her own how to open a door to get in or out when she pleased. The upside of Border Collies is that their instinct for herding can come in handy on family outings, they will bring a stray child back to the herd naturally. Labs will do the same thing but you have to throw the child first. :lol:

IMAGE: http://www.decloedt.com/Smilies/rotfl.gif
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

My name is Lonnie, but I answer to Thomas too.
LDPhotography.net (external link) | Weekly Pioneer (external link) | Facebook (external link)
"Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts."

OverSpun
190 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 02, 2012 05:24 |  #24

I have a German Shepherd-

Very old picture (~6 years back) when he was about 5 months old. He's been a great dog. I'm glad he doesn't dig around the yard like other breeds. However, he learned how to open every gate regardless how its latched until I figured a way to lock him in the yard when I wasn't around. Luckily, I have found that German Shepherds don't run away. He never did once like my past dogs. I've had golden retrievers and I had an Akita. Akitas are tanks and mine was difficult but still a great dog.

IMAGE: http://cl.ly/image/3y020r3g1b1R0X023W20/Kingsley2.jpg

Gripped 5D3 | 17-40L, 50 1.8II, 35-105, 100-400L IS
Gear

Dr.D
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 05, 2012 15:18 |  #25

Just remember this.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8479/8247364545_1cca96020c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/drdphotos/82473​64545/  (external link)
18703_390647627678996_​2122156368_n (external link) by Dr.D Photos (external link), on Flickr

6D . Gripped 60D . Gripped XSI . Opteka 6.5 . Canon 10-22 . Canon 18-135 . Canon 50 1.8 MKII . Canon 24-105 f4 L . Canon 70-200 2.8 IS MKII L . Canon 70-300 IS USM . Sigma 150-600 . Canon 100mm Macro . Canon 2X III . 430 EXII . Manfroto 190XPROB . Manfrotto 055XPROB . Black Rapid Sport . Outback 200
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1195651

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 07, 2012 13:30 |  #26

I was able to (finally) get through to her and side with my arguments about not getting one. I guess her want was so powerful it surpressed her logic. Looking at our sigs, guys, it's visible we're not affected by this condition. hehe kidding, kidding...

No dog for now. I like the idea of getting a dog later when the kids are bigger and money is a little less tight. That I can see being an idea I'm open to.

mark48
913 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 09, 2012 18:44 |  #27

Pearlallica wrote in post #15338558 (external link)
No dog for now. I like the idea of getting a dog later when the kids are bigger and money is a little less tight. That I can see being an idea I'm open to.

I guess that's good, for now. Dogs know when they're not really wanted and are much better off with others who really appreciate them. Puppies are a handful and take time and patience. We've adopted all of our mostly older goldens from shelters and have never regretted it. When the time is right I would always suggest adopting an older, house trained companion from a shelter and forego the puppy training.

sponsored links

2,234 views & 0 likes for this thread
Calling all dog owners
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.