Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Dec 2012 (Friday) 13:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

stuck between 5dmkII and 6D

dontcallmeash
480 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 07, 2012 13:23 |  #1

Amazon, and most other places, sell the mkII for LESS than the 6D (both with the kit lens and as body only).

I have a 5Dc that I'm looking to replace and was wonderng if there was any reason I'd want a 6D over a mkII--and I can't think of one.

sponsored links
manfesto
291 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 07, 2012 14:08 |  #2

Do you shoot in low-light a lot?

Do you want to control your camera from your smartphone or tablet?

If not, the 5D2 is a great deal at the prices it's selling at, and even cheaper used.

dontcallmeash
THREAD ­ STARTER
480 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 07, 2012 14:18 |  #3

The high ISO performance was the only thing really interesting me about the 6D. Is it THAT much better than the mkII?

Shill sites like dpreview still haven't posted high ISO comparison files.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,298 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 07, 2012 14:22 |  #4

dontcallmeash wrote in post #15338728 (external link)
The high ISO performance was the only thing really interesting me about the 6D. Is it THAT much better than the mkII?

I dont know about the 6D but the ISO gains for the 5D3 (over the 5dII) seem to be mostly gained when you shoot .jpg Several people who compared raw files said the gain was not that impressive. I havent tried so I dont know. I bought the 5dII recently as I didnt see anything in the 6D that convinced me that it was much better than the 5DII and the downgrade in sync speed, the lack of a pc sync port really bugged me as well. I may turn out to be horribly wrong though.

manfesto
291 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 07, 2012 14:26 |  #5

dontcallmeash wrote in post #15338728 (external link)

Here's The-Digital-Picture's take, along with samples (taken from DPP raw conversions, since as gonzogolf pointed out, the noise gains are better in JPEG):

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …al-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx (external link)

The Canon EOS 5D II is the camera that a lot of us have been waiting to compare the 6D to. In these results, it is not hard to see that the 6D indeed improves upon the long-time favorite. Up through ISO 400, it will be hard to see any difference in real-life results, but I start to see some 6D advantages starting at around ISO 800. The 6D advantage builds as the ISO setting increases. The difference becomes rather easy to see at ISO 3200 and the 6D's lead continues building until it leaves the 5D II in the dust at ISO 51200.

It hasn't officially been tested, but the center AF point of the 6D is rated at -3EV, which should mean it can lock focus in lower light than the 5D2 as well. After all, what good is high-ISO if you can't focus :)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 07, 2012 14:26 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Get the 5d2 for $1200 used and save yourself $900 over the price of a 6d. I don't see anything in the 6d that would produce better photos in the end.

convergent
Goldmember
2,211 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 07, 2012 14:30 |  #7

If there were some great new sensor technology in the 6D, then we'd be reading about it in Canon literature. There isn't, so the high ISO from a RAW image is going to largely be similar across the 5D2, 5D3, and 6D. My guess is there are some subtle differences between them based on processing in the camera, which likely won't mean much for a RAW shooter. Given the 6D is more aimed at prosumers than the 5D line, they are probably doing more image processing in camera. But this is all speculation on my part based on what I'm seeing from reading reviews of people that have them both.

Mike - Victory Photo (external link) | Full Gear List | Feedback
5D3 gripped - 7D2 gripped - 17-40L f/4 - 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM - 24-70L f/2.8 II - 70-200L f/2.8 IS II - 100-400 L f/4.6-5.6 IS II
135L f/2 - 300L f/2.8 IS - Siggy 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 100 f/2.8 Macro - TC1.4 II - TC2 III - (2) 600EX-RT - ST-E3-RT

sponsored links

1,180 views & 0 likes for this thread
stuck between 5dmkII and 6D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.