Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Dec 2012 (Friday) 08:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PSA: Gate Hooks

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 07, 2012 08:01 |  #1

In another thread, I mentioned that Luma had killed off our gate hook project. During testing, we happened upon a failure mode for gate hooks that sapped our confidence in using them for just about anything.

The other co-founder at Luma, Duncan, made a video that gives a few examples of how this issue can happen with a number of gate hooks.

http://vimeo.com/55080​797 (external link)

Now, I want to be clear - we aren't trying to scare monger everyone into thinking that the basic gate hook is evil and you should yank them off your straps. Like the video says; it is *very* rare for a gate hook to get snagged in this configuration. Now that you've seen it and are aware of it, the chances of it happening to you in the field are now even rarer.

As a business though, Luma simply can't put out a product that we don't have absolute faith in. Even if 1/1000 customers ran into this, those are still a handful of emails of a kind we simply never want to receive.

Interesting side note - all the video was shot on a Sony RX1, and it is every bit as good as your deepest dreams could make it out to be.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

sponsored links
juanpafer
Goldmember
1,830 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2009

Dec 07, 2012 09:35 |  #2

I appreciate the time Luma takes into design AND TESTING before launching, even if that means loosing sales during the Holiday season.
I need a strap that I can rely on 100% of the time. If it has a quick detachment system, it will be a Luma strap.

Juan

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 07, 2012 09:53 |  #3

Good video, glad I don't use them.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 07, 2012 11:36 |  #4

So that's what happened to my Lowepro bag (as I mentioned in the other thread)!

Not directly related, but just yesterday I saw another failure where the tripod mount attachment (older Black Rapid one) came apart and dropped a Nikon D4 with 70-200 attached right onto concrete. :eek:

It was a sound I do not wish on anyone and especially not me!! The camera and lens seemed fine as they fell straight down without twisting and landing on any of the sensitive parts but ouch...

I guess they call them quick disconnects for a reason!!!

Joel

phonedrn8
87 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 07, 2012 12:22 |  #5

good PSA

LPMM
243 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 07, 2012 12:45 |  #6

Op/tech warned me of the same thing when I asked about using their swivel hooks, that while highly unlikely, it may be possible for the hook to release under the right conditions. Great video and why I am not trusting my gear with gated hooks.

Cheers,
Laurent
POTN Feedback thread FM Feedback page (external link) flickr Page (external link)
5D MK III | SL1 | 300mm ƒ2.8L IS | 70-200mm ƒ2.8L IS II | 24-70mm ƒ2.8L | 2x III Extender | 18-135mm STM

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 07, 2012 12:56 |  #7

Not sure what is meant by "gate hook" but if these look anything like the older design of the clips used on marine lifelines then yes, some years ago it was found that these had a history of popping open at just the wrong moment! It boiled down to the hooks twisting as they started to take a load, putting the sprung loaded bar under an opening tension.

The marine industry simply added an aditional sprung bar which is set at 90 degress to the opening bar, literally holding it shut. The downside is a slightly more involved opening process but given the options its worth it.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 07, 2012 12:58 as a reply to  @ LPMM's post |  #8

I like how Luma shows us this sort of stuff - keep up the great work! Ill be supporting this company for a long time :).

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 07, 2012 13:20 |  #9

I can't believe this was a surprise to you guys. Pretty commonly known problem with the system. Used to do this trick to one on some strap when I was a kid. Maybe you should hire a kid to do your testing, they aren't set in their ways like we adults are. If there's a problem, they'll find it quick.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

KhanhD
"I need a grip . . . on my life"
1,523 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 07, 2012 13:57 |  #10

Page not found.

Khanh Duong | KHDPhoto.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)
iPhone 5s + Instagram (external link)

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,916 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 07, 2012 14:32 as a reply to  @ KhanhD's post |  #11

Interesting video, glad I don't use gate hooks.

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 07, 2012 15:45 |  #12

gakoenig wrote in post #15337231 (external link)
In another thread, I mentioned that Luma had killed off our gate hook project. During testing, we happened upon a failure mode for gate hooks that sapped our confidence in using them for just about anything.

The other co-founder at Luma, Duncan, made a video that gives a few examples of how this issue can happen with a number of gate hooks.

http://vimeo.com/55080​797 (external link)

Now, I want to be clear - we aren't trying to scare monger everyone into thinking that the basic gate hook is evil and you should yank them off your straps. Like the video says; it is *very* rare for a gate hook to get snagged in this configuration. Now that you've seen it and are aware of it, the chances of it happening to you in the field are now even rarer.

As a business though, Luma simply can't put out a product that we don't have absolute faith in. Even if 1/1000 customers ran into this, those are still a handful of emails of a kind we simply never want to receive.

Interesting side note - all the video was shot on a Sony RX1, and it is every bit as good as your deepest dreams could make it out to be.

Exactly why I don't use the gate I did a couple years ago and it would pop loose after a couple times I stopped using.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,867 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 07, 2012 21:13 |  #13

I had a Blackrapid clip exhibit this failure mode when attached to a 70-200.
Lens fell a bit over a metre, and busted the IS mechanism - to the tune of $1200

I have been aware of this happening though, in fact it's how i get the clips off in a hurry
I should have screwed the gates shut.
(this is also the reason that climbers use screwgate/autolok carabiners when attaching themselves to a rope - having a carabiner disconnect when you are relying on it could be more than expensive or annoying - it could cost your life)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

KhanhD
"I need a grip . . . on my life"
1,523 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 07, 2012 23:52 |  #14

Echo63 wrote in post #15340000 (external link)
I had a Blackrapid clip exhibit this failure mode when attached to a 70-200.
Lens fell a bit over a metre, and busted the IS mechanism - to the tune of $1200

The BR Clip can only produce this phenomenon if you dont lock the screwgate.

Khanh Duong | KHDPhoto.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)
iPhone 5s + Instagram (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,867 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 08, 2012 00:52 |  #15

KhanhD wrote in post #15340384 (external link)
The BR Clip can only produce this phenomenon if you dont lock the screwgate.

Yes - I was in a hurry and didn't close the screwgate.

2 lines down from the bit you quoted was "I should have screwed the gates shut"
It's was mostly my fault, I should have taken the time to screw the gate shut, and/or checked that the clip didn't capsize and come unstuck.

I would love to see a manufacturer start using "QR cups" like rifle slings, and mounting the cups into manfrotto and Arca tripod plates.
They are certainly strong enough, easily released but not accidentally.

One of the sling strap company's was using something similar

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

sponsored links

2,196 views & 0 likes for this thread
PSA: Gate Hooks
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.