Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Dec 2012 (Thursday) 14:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Exposure Comp. on 5DMKiii to high?

topshot
42 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 06, 2012 14:13 |  #1

I have used my new 5DMK iii for about three weeks so far. I spend most of the time shooting birds and other wildlife. I shoot mostly in AV with 7.1 aperture and iso of 800-1600 with a 100-400 canon lens. I have noticed that I have to add +2/3 to +1 EC for the photos to look right. The 7D that I just sold ran about +1/3 most of the time. My canon 60 gives good results at 0 EC. For those who have the 5DMKiii, do you have to add additional EC for your photos to come out correctly? I have used the 100-400 on the other camera bodies with no problems. As a side note, since I have started using the 5DMKiii for wildlife I very seldom use the 60D. I miss the reach but really like the photos that I have been getting.

Thanks

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,738 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 06, 2012 15:34 |  #2

All Canon cameras are inconsistent for what kind of compensation you need for the automated modes, you just have to find your groove and go with it. Obviously metering modes play into your exposures too.

If you are really interested, take both cameras, shoot a static scene at the same exact mode and exposure settings with the same lens to see how they really vary from each other rather than comparing random different shots between them.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Dec 06, 2012 17:00 |  #3

Are you shooting jpg or raw? The in camera processing on the 5d3 is a good bit different than the previous bodies.

Jason

topshot
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 06, 2012 20:31 as a reply to  @ jase1125's post |  #4

I have tried the same lens and settings on my other camera bodies after I noticed that I was dialing in more +EC than before. I was just wondering if others had a simular experience with their camera. If this is different from the norm I would get it checked out. I shoot JPEG most of the time and do minor PP in elements 8.

Thanks

sempaidavid
890 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 06, 2012 22:34 |  #5

I too need to use much more exposure compensation with my 5d MKIII. I would say the difference between my 7d and 5d mkIII is about the same as you mentioned. I too am not happy about it.

5D mkIII, 1D mkIV, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, EF 24-70L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, EF 100-400L, EF 85 f/1.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, EF 24-105
http://www.davidcostap​hotography.com (external link)

donp2112
39 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 06, 2012 23:09 |  #6

What's the big deal? If you know it's +2/3 dial it in and be done with it. Yes, 2/3 is higher than the 1/3 on the 7D, but what's the point, other than it's higher? I'm also at +2/3 on my 5DIII and +1/3 on my 7D.

To prove the value take an 18% grey card, fill the frame, shoot it and center the histogram with EC using zeroed out neutral picture style. For portraits, +2/3 isn't really enough if you were to strictly follow the zone system...skin tones should be about 1/3 higher. I ran at a full stop of EC for a bit but that doesn't leave enough room for sketchy evaluative metering in tricky lighting (especially backlit) so I'd rather have to bump exposure by 1/3 in post than risk blowing highlights.

sempaidavid
890 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 06, 2012 23:25 |  #7

I wouldn't say it's a big deal. However when canon brags about how much more accurate their new metering system is I do have to call bull****. My 7d and 1d mkIV (much older cameras) have far more accurate metering.

5D mkIII, 1D mkIV, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, EF 24-70L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, EF 100-400L, EF 85 f/1.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, EF 24-105
http://www.davidcostap​hotography.com (external link)

donp2112
39 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 07, 2012 01:14 |  #8

sempaidavid wrote in post #15336434 (external link)
I wouldn't say it's a big deal. However when canon brags about how much more accurate their new metering system is I do have to call bull****. My 7d and 1d mkIV (much older cameras) have far more accurate metering.

You want accurate metering AND rock solid autofocus for a measly $3k?!?! Canon brags about a lot of stuff they shouldn't, like announcing a firmware update 6 months before it's to be released! So I stopped listening, have adjusted my expectations accordingly and willfully overpay for mediocrity.

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 07, 2012 05:16 |  #9

I find it depends on which metering mode I'm shooting with. In spot metering I find I have to add +2/3-+1 when shooting anything with a lot of sky (aviation and BIF) but when shooting at ground level I don't need any.

When in evaluative metering I generally need about +1/3 for sky shots and none at all for any shots at ground level. A lot depends on the weather and quality of light as on really dull days I find I have to have some + Ex Comp on all metering modes.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

BrianAZ
Goldmember
1,550 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 07, 2012 16:41 |  #10

I don't think it is the metering.

I just got the 5D3, and started testing today against my 5DC. Both camera's were set on manual to the same settings and using strobes. I used my Sekonic meter to meter the scene, and each camera was set identically to what the handheld meter indicated. In each exposure, the 5D3 was noticably darker than the 5Dc. I checked the tone curve, and histogram, and each showed a concentration to the left. I had to open the 5d3 up anywhere from 1/3 to 2/3 stops to get the same exposure as I was getting on the 5dC

Website (external link)
My Blog (external link)
facebook (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links

1,151 views & 0 likes for this thread
Exposure Comp. on 5DMKiii to high?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.