Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 04 Dec 2012 (Tuesday) 19:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help: Some Photo Folders Missing from Pictures Library (Windows 7)

Beski
442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 04, 2012 19:41 |  #1

Hi, I need some help finding out what happened to "half" of my Photo Folders ?!?

I am running Windows 7 on a Dell XPS 8000 (64 Bit)

I have my Photos Saved in Folders by Date and then Name in the "Pictures Library" (example folder name: 2011-09 Arizona Trip)

I was looking for a particular photo and realized that ALL of my Folders containing Photos from 2003 to June 2010 ARE MISSING from the Pictures Library !! (Everything from July 2010 through today seems to be fine).

The Missing Photos are backed up on a External Hard Drive, but at this point I am afraid to hook it up to this computer for fear the same thing may happen. So before I do anything Stupid, I am trying to figure out where these missing pictures could be ? I know they were there about 2-3 weeks ago so this is all farily recent. (I did check the Recycle Bin and they are NOT there).

Any Suggestions on what to do or where to start looking ??

Thanks,
Tom

1D Mark III | 40D | Rebel 300D
100-400L | 300 4L | 70-200 4L IS | 24-105L [COLOR=#800080]| 17-40L| 100 Macro | 10-22 | 85 1.8 | 50 1.8 II | 580EX

sponsored links
EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 04, 2012 19:52 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

You could try a restore.
You should always have 2 backups.
Computers ... like Robots ... should never be trusted.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 05, 2012 04:17 |  #3

What software are we talking about?
When you say "missing": They don't appear or does the software (LR?) tell you the images are "missing" (in which case: did you move them outside of LR?)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Beski
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 05, 2012 08:15 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #4

No Software - I just can't find the Photo Folders on my Desktop which I guess is the Hard Drive ?

I do have Lightroom, Photoshop and Picasa loaded. I did confirm that they did NOT show in Picasa but that was the only one I checked.

Normally I can go to my DESKTOP and then select Libraries and then select Pictures and find the Folder I want to view pictures but that entire range of Photo Folders from 2003 to 2010 is missing so I can't even view them.

I have only used LR 1 or 2 times, so if there is a way to find them with that I will try it ?

My thought is that If they are not in the Recycle Bin, then they must be "hidden" somehow ?

Hope this makes sense ?

100-400L | 300 4L | 70-200 4L IS | 24-105L [COLOR=#800080]| 17-40L| 100 Macro | 10-22 | 85 1.8 | 50 1.8 II | 580EX

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 05, 2012 11:13 |  #5

Click Start and type in "show hidden".. the click "Show Hidden files and folders" which will pop up another window. Make sure "Show hidden files, folders, or drives is selected.

Other then that I'm not sure what could have happened. You can try an un-delete tool to see if you can recover the files from that folder.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

Beski
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 05, 2012 13:15 as a reply to  @ palmor's post |  #6

Thanks John (palmor), I will try that tonight when I get home !!

What is the "un-delete" tool ?

===============

I now have a 2nd External Hard Drive so I am going to "Back Up the Back Up" first then I guess I can just copy the missing files back to my Computer Hard Drive!!

===============

Also, I just remembered this..........If I check a section called "My Recent Places" (or something like that) it shows some of the Missing Folders as if I recently accessed them (which I did 2 weeks ago), but when I click on them it says something to the affect that "The Shortcut Path is not linked to any files, so do you want to Delete this Shortcut ?" So for some reason that section shows the Folder Name, but has no Pictures inside.

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 05, 2012 13:36 |  #7

There are recovery tools (software) out there that will try to recover deleted files from your harddrive. I've had some good luck in the past with them but I haven't used them in years so I'm not familiar with what is out there today. Maybe someone else has some ideas?

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Dec 07, 2012 20:34 |  #8

If you accidentally deleted anything DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING. Don't undelete anything, install anything or use your computer other than just looking for the folders. Don't write a document or surf the internet. Everything you do has a chance of destroying deleted items (which are still on the hard drive).

Learn about recovering files and then follow the steps carefully. The best way is to remove the hard drive and use a second computer to recover the files. It's the safest way. The important thing here is, don't experiment unless you know what you're doing.

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 11, 2012 11:45 |  #9

Beski wrote in post #15327193 (external link)
The Missing Photos are backed up on a External Hard Drive, but at this point I am afraid to hook it up to this computer for fear the same thing may happen. So before I do anything Stupid, I am trying to figure out where these missing pictures could be ? I know they were there about 2-3 weeks ago so this is all farily recent. (I did check the Recycle Bin and they are NOT there).

Any Suggestions on what to do or where to start looking ??

Thanks,
Tom

How did you backup? Did you use Windows backup software or copy folder(s) from your picture library to external hard drive? If it's the latter, is it possible that you CUT and paste onto the external HD (instead of COPY and paste)?

Beski
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 14, 2012 09:21 |  #10

morph2_7 wrote in post #15353496 (external link)
How did you backup? Did you use Windows backup software or copy folder(s) from your picture library to external hard drive? If it's the latter, is it possible that you CUT and paste onto the external HD (instead of COPY and paste)?

I do use the "Copy & Paste" command to put the Folders on the External Hard Drive. I have not taken many pictures over the past 6 months, so the External Drive has Folders from 2003 to June 2012. As a result I have not used the External Hard Drive since June.

I am fairly certain "all" of the Folders were on the C: Drive the week of Thanksgiving because I remember looking for a few shots and then the next time I looked the Folders were gone !!

This week I Copied my entire External Hard Drive to 2 More External Hard Drives (Yes, call me Paranoid, but I got a good scare and learned my lesson !!). I will keep one at home, one off site in a fire proof safe at work and one off site in my safe deposit box at the bank!

This weekend I will Copy & Paste the missing folders from the External HD back to the C: on my PC and I will be set with 100% of my pictures accounted for.

THANKS to everybody for their Help and Happy Holidays !!

Tom

sponsored links

4,724 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help: Some Photo Folders Missing from Pictures Library (Windows 7)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.