Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Dec 2012 (Saturday) 11:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

help with photoshop cs4

Jay ­ T
463 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 08, 2012 11:55 |  #1

I just ordersd a 5d iii and want to know if I can open them in adobe camera raw version 5.7.0. I remember downloading something from adobe when I got my 5d 2 a few years back to get it to work and was wondering if that will take care of it or do I have to download again from adobe

1DX\ 5diii gripped \ tokina 12-24 f/4 /sigma 24-60 f2.8 \ \ sigma 120-300 OS \ sigma 50 f1.4 \ canon 500 f4 IS \ canon1.4 III tc \ canon 2xii tc \sigma 2x dg tc \ 580ex \ 2x 430ex flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 08, 2012 12:22 |  #2

Go here:
http://helpx.adobe.com …-photoshop-photoshop.html (external link)

and here:
http://helpx.adobe.com …ug-supported-cameras.html (external link)

to determine what camera needs what version. As you will find there, the 5D3 requires at least ACR 6.7 (or maybe 7.1; I don't know why both are listed).

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,941 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 08, 2012 13:33 as a reply to  @ Rimmer's post |  #3

You'll need to convert to DNG.

Links to the latest DNG converters:

PC - http://www.adobe.com …ads/detail.jsp?​ftpID=5486 (external link)
Mac - http://www.adobe.com …ads/detail.jsp?​ftpID=5485 (external link)

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 08, 2012 18:36 |  #4

The CS4 ACR will definitely not work, so you would go the DNG route if you want to open the image in ACR.

DNG is not a bad way to go for this, since it does retain the Raw data. Make sure to get the latest DNG converter, but then you will need to set it to be compatible with ACR 5.x. It's just a setting in the converter.

You could also explore Digital Photo Professional (DPP) as at least a reference for your ACR work. Know, though, that DPP won't work with DNG files, just the original CR2s. You can download/install the latest version of DPP or the one that came with your camera.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,685 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 08, 2012 18:37 |  #5

FAQ: Raw files won't open (external link)

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Jay ­ T
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 08, 2012 19:54 as a reply to  @ Damo77's post |  #6

Thanks everyone. I'll give the dng converter a try. If I buy lightroom 4 will that open the 5d iii raw files. Doesn't lightroom have the latest acr to open 5diii files or am I wrong. And can I go from lightroom 4 to photoshop cs4 without a problem. Lightroom is a lot cheaper than photoshop cs6

1DX\ 5diii gripped \ tokina 12-24 f/4 /sigma 24-60 f2.8 \ \ sigma 120-300 OS \ sigma 50 f1.4 \ canon 500 f4 IS \ canon1.4 III tc \ canon 2xii tc \sigma 2x dg tc \ 580ex \ 2x 430ex flickr (external link)

Stevedt
36 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 08, 2012 20:27 |  #7

Yes you can open the 5Diii raw files in LR4. When you export them to PS4 they can be exported as 16 bit tiff files depending on your setup configuration. They will not be exported to PS4 as raw files.

Regards
Steve

EOS 5DM3 | 24-105 L || EOS 60D | 18-200 || 70-300 F4-5.6 L USM || 100 F2.8 Macro L USM
Always Learning

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 08, 2012 20:55 |  #8

Jay T wrote in post #15343167 (external link)
Thanks everyone. I'll give the dng converter a try. If I buy lightroom 4 will that open the 5d iii raw files. Doesn't lightroom have the latest acr to open 5diii files or am I wrong. And can I go from lightroom 4 to photoshop cs4 without a problem. Lightroom is a lot cheaper than photoshop cs6

Lightroom 4 has been updated to support the 5D3. And, as you note, Lightroom4 has the latest "Process Version" that you would get with the CS6 ACR.

Then, from Lightroom if you want to do further editing in Photoshop, you can use the Edit in Photoshop tool, which converts the image to either a tiff or a psd (your preference). Lightroom opens the image in the PS editor and also keeps the tiff/psd in the Lightroom Library.

If you do decide to jump into Lightroom, I'd strongly advise you to spend some serious time reading up on the aspects of Lightroom dealing with organization as well as the various output functions -- LR is much more than a good Raw processor!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Jay ­ T
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 08, 2012 21:01 as a reply to  @ Stevedt's post |  #9

Thanks Steve. I just got done downloading the dng converter and have been converting files from my 5dii and 7d just to try it out. Its not bad except for the extra step and the fact that you have to do a whole folder and it saves the cr2 file along with the dng file.Also the dng files are 3 to 5 mb smaller than the cr2 files. Is there a way to convert to dng without saving the cr2 file or do I have to delete them to save hard drive space?

Jay ­ T
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 08, 2012 21:12 as a reply to  @ Jay T's post |  #10

Thanks Tony, I read on here many times about lightroom and how good it is. Was going to buy it when it was like $69-$79 a month or so ago but read some of the reviews on amazon or bh, adorama about it being great but it runs slow and freezes up so I kinda faded away from it till now that its a cheaper way to go

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 08, 2012 21:34 |  #11

Jay T wrote in post #15343305 (external link)
Thanks Steve. I just got done downloading the dng converter and have been converting files from my 5dii and 7d just to try it out. Its not bad except for the extra step and the fact that you have to do a whole folder and it saves the cr2 file along with the dng file.Also the dng files are 3 to 5 mb smaller than the cr2 files. Is there a way to convert to dng without saving the cr2 file or do I have to delete them to save hard drive space?

There are various options with the DNG converter but I'm not a DNG user so can't give specifics.

With Lightroom there is the option to convert and copy to DNG when importing, but it says nothing about deleting the original CR2s.

As to deleting the CR2 files, I would personally not go that route because I like having the CR2s for opening in other software (like DPP). At this point there are not many Raw apps that work with DNGs.

One thing that a lot of folks do is convert to DNG then copy the CR2s onto an external backup hard drive. That way you have a backup, but you don't clog up your working hard drive space.

Tony

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,491 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 09, 2012 04:27 |  #12

Jay T wrote in post #15343325 (external link)
Thanks Tony, I read on here many times about lightroom and how good it is. Was going to buy it when it was like $69-$79 a month or so ago but read some of the reviews on amazon or bh, adorama about it being great but it runs slow and freezes up so I kinda faded away from it till now that its a cheaper way to go

The people who complain about it running slow are a vociferous minority and often I have a feeling about at least some of them that their expectations are exaggerated - they expect a 25 MB file to load instantly, but it takes three or four seconds. The silent majority enjoy excellent performance from LR 4.2. You do need a fairly good computer but not a super one. I have 8 GB of memory, which is more than enough, and my CPU, despite being i7, is only 1.6 GHz and I have no complaints. One point that you should be aware of before buying is that LR4 will not run on Windows XP.

Elie / אלי

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,064 posts
Gallery: 552 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2012 06:54 |  #13

I run LR4.1 on a 3-4 year old Dell laptop with a 1.7GHz dual core Celeron processor with 3Gb RAM. Not only that but the program, catalouge and all image files reside on external USB2 drives. I have no complaints about the speed, although extensive use of the local adjustments brush do slow things up. But that usually takes 4 or 5 different brushes, sometimes on top of each other which is what seems to slow it up the most.

I'm very happy with it.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Jay ­ T
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 09, 2012 07:45 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #14

Well thanks everyone for the great advice. I think I'll wait till the camera gets here and work with the dng converter and watch prices on the lightroom and grab it in the next 1-3 weeks. I've seen it in the past1-3 months for like $69-$79 but now its back up to $99. Is there a new version do out soon and is that the reason the prices dropped ?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 09, 2012 09:37 |  #15

Jay T wrote in post #15344398 (external link)
Well thanks everyone for the great advice. I think I'll wait till the camera gets here and work with the dng converter and watch prices on the lightroom and grab it in the next 1-3 weeks. I've seen it in the past1-3 months for like $69-$79 but now its back up to $99. Is there a new version do out soon and is that the reason the prices dropped ?

Lightroom gets a "minor" revision around once every three months, to keep up with new cameras and to "fix" bugs. It's free for owners of the current version.

As to why some retailers offer it for a discount, well that's up to them -- they just want to keep their sales up. It will be a while before LR5 comes out so I wouldn't sit around, instead try the free trial, good for 30 days, just make sure you do enough "homework" about the LR organization features.

Tony

sponsored links

2,576 views & 0 likes for this thread
help with photoshop cs4
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.