Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 06:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Publish photos to facebook via lightroom

hazwing
178 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 09, 2012 06:28 |  #1

Whats the best settings to use for publishing photos to facebook via the lightroom plug in?

The photo's I've publish via lightroom seem to have artefacts and appear a little 'blocky' in some areas. Is this because of downsizing or sharpening issues?

Photos that I manually upload to facebook seem to have less of this problem.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 09, 2012 09:18 |  #2

Post some images showing the problem, and a screenshot of you export settings in both cases?

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 09, 2012 09:23 |  #3

I'd say "it depends". Yes, Facebook resizes, and how the outcome looks depends on how much resizing it "needs" to do.

Also, Facebook images undergo a "process" in creating the image view. Initially a shot can look "lousy" but then after a bit it can clear up.

If you are uploading an image of a larger size, the best Facebook viewing mode is the Full Screen viewing mode, because you get less downsizing. For example, I upload to Facebook images that are limited to 1600 pixels at the widest and 1050 pixels at the tallest, because when I switch to Full Screen mode those dimensions work well with my monitor resolution relative to the typical aspect ratio of my images. But as I said that assumes and is optimized by viewing in the Full Screen mode.

But I don't see "artifacts" as "typical" even in the default "downsized" viewing mode, but then I don't look to Facebook for "best" quality viewing. My Web host (PBase) suffices for normal image sharing.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

hazwing
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 09, 2012 18:03 |  #4

What are you export settings for facebook publishing service?

I'm at work at the moment, but I think mine were 80% resolution. max height (or was it width) 700 pixels

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 09, 2012 18:39 |  #5

Well, if I'm publishing directly to my Facebook albums, my Quality is currently set to 80, my max width to 1900 pixels, and my max height is a bit over 1000 pixels.

I also use the Hard Drive Publish approach. My settings are a bit different, simply because I've done some experimenting with the two approaches. I do need to use the Hard Drive approach when I'm uploading to a FB group rather than my personal albums.

I do tend to upload "large" images, that is, larger than the POTN max of 1024 pixels at the longest dimension, because I like to post pics that can benefit from viewing in the Full Screen viewing mode, it can make a big difference with a lot of images, especially ones taken in the "landscape" orientation.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,351 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 09, 2012 18:43 |  #6

Facebook has always been synonymous for bad photo processing. All it's good for really is proofing photos. That's what I use it for on my Fan Page. My regular page is mostly family oriented and whatnot.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

hazwing
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 10, 2012 01:56 |  #7

tonylong wrote in post #15346501 (external link)
Well, if I'm publishing directly to my Facebook albums, my Quality is currently set to 80, my max width to 1900 pixels, and my max height is a bit over 1000 pixels.

I also use the Hard Drive Publish approach. My settings are a bit different, simply because I've done some experimenting with the two approaches. I do need to use the Hard Drive approach when I'm uploading to a FB group rather than my personal albums.

I'll try your settings next time I upload photos. It's a bit hard for me to post examples because they are mainly shots of friends/family which I don't want to share in the public domain.

What do you mean by the hard drive publish approach? Do you mean exporting to the hard drive, and then uploading manually?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 10, 2012 02:59 |  #8

hazwing wrote in post #15347780 (external link)
I'll try your settings next time I upload photos. It's a bit hard for me to post examples because they are mainly shots of friends/family which I don't want to share in the public domain.

What do you mean by the hard drive publish approach? Do you mean exporting to the hard drive, and then uploading manually?

You'll note that one of the Pulishing Services is to Publish to the Hard Drive. This is so that you can Export to settings that are different from you regular Export settings.

So, I use this for images I want to upload to Facebook at a higher reslolution that I do for my "normal" export, which is for my "normal" Web Host at a resolution that meets POTN rules.

Tony

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

1,787 views & 0 likes for this thread, 4 members have posted to it.
Publish photos to facebook via lightroom
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.