Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk 
Thread started 09 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 11:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Charity Shoot at Petsmart with Santa

FreeSoul1987
497 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 09, 2012 11:37 |  #1

I've been asked to do a slot here at Petsmart, I think it is pretty much dogs but someone might bring in a cat. Has anybody else every done these before, and if so were they fun?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*
www.FreeSoulPhotograph​y.smugmug.com (external link)
Gear: Canon T2i, 430EX II flash, Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD II, Canon 18-55mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens

tewlman
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 09, 2012 22:26 |  #2

I haven't but would be willing to do something like that.

My Gear My Flickr (external link)
some feedback
Like my photos? Then "like" my Facebook page! (external link)

FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
497 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 11, 2012 12:58 |  #3

tewlman wrote in post #15347355 (external link)
I haven't but would be willing to do something like that.

It was a fun experience, crazy but fun.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*
Gear: Canon T2i, 430EX II flash, Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD II, Canon 18-55mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens

Crazy ­ Dog
58 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 11, 2012 13:17 as a reply to  @ tewlman's post |  #4

I've done these Santa Shoots in the past for many years. However, I have not done them the last two years so I may not be "up to date" on everything.

I don't know how it is in other towns but in my town we did not just have dogs show up, we had many different types of pets. But that's part of the fun, you get to meet a large variety of pets! In all the years I've done these I've met many different types of dogs, cats, rabbits, many other small furry critters, snakes, lizards, reptiles, pot-bellied pigs, ferrets, horses (YES horses!), parrots, birds, and exotic pets too! I've even met a serval cat, pet skunks, pet sloth, pet kangroo, pet monkey, and many others! So if your squeamish of such pets you may not have fun. LOL!

Anyways, as far as the photo's go..... well let me just say Petsmart is not set up for professional photography. We always had to use the crappy cardboard backdrop that Petsmart supplied us with and a chair for Santa to sit on. We were lucky if we could get a bench or other props. We also had to use Petsmarts crappy Polaroid camera that they supplied us with. We used it for years! Even though it was way past it's time. LOL! We could only take one photo of each customer. You would set everyone up, snap the shot, the camera would spit out the photo, you would give it to the customer and they would be on there way. However, the last year I did the santa photo's, Petsmart upgraded to a crappy point and shoot camera. You would set everyone up, snap a few shots, repeat this a few times then swap the SD card with a new one, someone else would pop the SD card into a crappy printer, print it and hand it to the customer. We never even got to see the finished photo's. We had to get through the line of people quickly so you couldn't take a whole lot of time with each person. The store I was at never let us bring our own equipment. The director of the store said it would be a liability if we had lights, cords and tripods out so we couldn't use anything "professional".

Now days I believe it is a little different. I've heard that the Santa Photo's are done by the rescue groups that are located inside Petsmart not by Petmart. So everything including Santa is provided by the rescue groups. I don't know if that's going to make any difference in the photography part of it though.

Anyways, Hope you have fun! I'm sure you will! You will have to update this thread and let us know how it went. :D

Celina

Canon 5D Mark III- Canon 50D - Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 70-200mm f/4
L IS USM- Canon Speedlite 580ex flash WTB: 35L, 50L or 85L

FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
497 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 13, 2012 12:36 |  #5

Crazy Dog wrote in post #15353871 (external link)
I've done these Santa Shoots in the past for many years. However, I have not done them the last two years so I may not be "up to date" on everything.

I don't know how it is in other towns but in my town we did not just have dogs show up, we had many different types of pets. But that's part of the fun, you get to meet a large variety of pets! In all the years I've done these I've met many different types of dogs, cats, rabbits, many other small furry critters, snakes, lizards, reptiles, pot-bellied pigs, ferrets, horses (YES horses!), parrots, birds, and exotic pets too! I've even met a serval cat, pet skunks, pet sloth, pet kangroo, pet monkey, and many others! So if your squeamish of such pets you may not have fun. LOL!

Anyways, as far as the photo's go..... well let me just say Petsmart is not set up for professional photography. We always had to use the crappy cardboard backdrop that Petsmart supplied us with and a chair for Santa to sit on. We were lucky if we could get a bench or other props. We also had to use Petsmarts crappy Polaroid camera that they supplied us with. We used it for years! Even though it was way past it's time. LOL! We could only take one photo of each customer. You would set everyone up, snap the shot, the camera would spit out the photo, you would give it to the customer and they would be on there way. However, the last year I did the santa photo's, Petsmart upgraded to a crappy point and shoot camera. You would set everyone up, snap a few shots, repeat this a few times then swap the SD card with a new one, someone else would pop the SD card into a crappy printer, print it and hand it to the customer. We never even got to see the finished photo's. We had to get through the line of people quickly so you couldn't take a whole lot of time with each person. The store I was at never let us bring our own equipment. The director of the store said it would be a liability if we had lights, cords and tripods out so we couldn't use anything "professional".

Now days I believe it is a little different. I've heard that the Santa Photo's are done by the rescue groups that are located inside Petsmart not by Petmart. So everything including Santa is provided by the rescue groups. I don't know if that's going to make any difference in the photography part of it though.

Anyways, Hope you have fun! I'm sure you will! You will have to update this thread and let us know how it went. :D

The petsmart here in Evansville is no different, crappy lighting unkind to a photographer who is told to just bring their camera. They didn't want flash or any of that stuff plus being that I was paid, I wasn't going to put a lot of effort into it, just do my best to capture memorable looks and moments with good/great lighting, I'd say the black dogs were difficult with no flash but the owners were just pleased with the outcomes of the photos. I will say the woman in charge was a bit annoying, when the owners were picking out the photo they liked best, she would disagree and go to another one, the owners were thinking more funny and memorable while she was thinking of Santa's hat, or other minor things. The photographer before me had seen guinea pigs, a pot bellied pig and I think a cat, but all I saw was dogs. The only thing that I regret is that I completely forgot to hand out my card to owners, though I am not sure that would have been acceptable. It wasn't bad for a first time, but next year I will be more ready if I choose to do it again.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,021 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Charity Shoot at Petsmart with Santa
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.