Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Oct 2012 (Monday) 09:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Time for a new Cell phone whats your choice

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 09, 2012 21:02 |  #76

I just want a plain old fashion Dumb Phone again. After carrying a Blackberry for almost 14 years
I'm honestly sick of all the crap on the phones. No more camera, no e-mail, no messaging. I just
want a phone again for emergencies, when I'm out and about. People have gone nuts in the last
few years thinking you should be available every waking moment, and that they have some god given
right to know that your doing every minute of it.

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

sponsored links
_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 09, 2012 21:11 |  #77

Just got an S3 and so in love with it!

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 09, 2012 21:13 |  #78

Evan Idler wrote in post #15347039 (external link)
I just want a plain old fashion Dumb Phone again. After carrying a Blackberry for almost 14 years
I'm honestly sick of all the crap on the phones. No more camera, no e-mail, no messaging. I just
want a phone again for emergencies, when I'm out and about. People have gone nuts in the last
few years thinking you should be available every waking moment, and that they have so god given
right to know that your doing every minute of it.

Yeah, if only these smartphones had a way of switching them off!

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,937 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 10, 2012 07:52 |  #79

lol

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,281 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Dec 10, 2012 08:43 |  #80

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #15153789 (external link)
Its about time to upgrade phones, I am running the Motorola Droid X currently and I really like it. I am sticking to a Android based OS, not a fan of apple (nothing against it just not my cup of tea). The reason I am asking on a photography forum is I want something that will complament my hobby, I plan to get the DSLR controler and play around with that so screen size comes into play. Any other apps that are a must have for photography?

I have been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S3, wondering if thats the best option to go with. Also looked a little at the Droid Razor, Droid Maxx and the LG Intuition. Whats everyon elses thoughts?

I realized I wanted to go big for two main reasons:

1. I've begun using my phone quite regularly as a mini-portfolio for "elevator speeches," and the biggest screen that would fit my pocket (either a jacket pocket or the back pocket of jeans) would be what I needed. I don't and won't always have a laptop or larger tablet on me.

2. I do a lot of reading, plus using Square plus camera remote control and some other tasks that have made a large screen on my phone rather more valuable of late.

That gave me two options: The LG Intuition or the Samsung Galaxy Note II. Of those two, my best available carrier, Verizon, offered an upgrade price for the Intution of $99. Their upgrade price for the Note II is $299.

So I got the Intution and have been pretty happy with it. The 4:3 screen ratio that puts off most reviewers is just fine for portfolio and reading--my primary uses.

The Samsung Note II is an overall better phone, although the screen ratio is better for movie viewing than reading and portfolio. But inasmuch as the cost is three times more, it certainly should be an overall better phone.

The only irritant I had about the Intuition is that it lacks a parking space for the stylus. That's rather mitigated by the fact that there is little need for a stylus--a fingertip works as well. But I got the Belkin-Verizon book-style cover for it, which provides a stylus slot. Annoyingly, the Belkin-Verizon cover is the only one that provides a stylus pocket, but it's available only through Verizon...it should really come with the phone.

I would argue strongly that photographers glom onto big phones like the Intuition and the Galaxy Note II. Between a convertible ultrabook (which can handle fairly heavy tasks like editing and true content creation) and a big phone, there's little need for a tablet.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

fotocrack
194 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 10, 2012 11:12 |  #81

hollis_f wrote in post #15347080 (external link)
Yeah, if only these smartphones had a way of switching them off!

There is a way to do that.
Under settings you can shut off the data, set apps to sync only manually and turn off GPS data (specially in the camera since it gets imbedded in the pictures metadata).
If you get a cheap upgrade it is worth getting a smartphone better to have it and use it when you need it then have to upgrade later and pay more.
On black Friday I got a Galaxy S3 for $0.99 from Sprint so I am a happy camper:cool:

5DM3 lover :cool: //My custom build computer //My Feedback
PLEASE DONATE TO YOUR LOCAL FOOD BANKS AND LOCAL CHARITIES

vsg28
493 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 10, 2012 11:38 |  #82

Heard of sarcasm?

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon SX30 IS (modified for IR), Rokinon 14mm, Canon 24-105 L IS, Sigma 50mm, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L IS II, Canon 100mm L IS, Kenko 1.4x Pro DG, Canon 2x II extender, Yongnuo YN-565EX, Induro CT414 with Induro BHL-3 and GHB-A

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 10, 2012 11:39 |  #83

Don't you just love it when someone gives a real answer to a sarcastic comment? :D:cool:

Tom

RDKirk
13,281 posts
Joined May 2004

Dec 10, 2012 12:30 |  #84

Sarcasm translates poorly in wide-open forums such as this. Cultures, experience levels, et cetera, are far too broad (and some cultures don't really sarcasm at all).

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 10, 2012 12:53 |  #85

fotocrack wrote in post #15349020 (external link)
If you get a cheap upgrade it is worth getting a smartphone better to have it and use it when you need it then have to upgrade later and pay more.

Here's a serious rebuttal to a serious response to a sarcastic comment. Is it really worth getting a smartphone even if you get it cheap? The real cost of that S3 you purchased is not $.99, but rather is the cost of the data plan you signed up for. Even if you turn data off, you're still paying for the plan. I am not aware of any pre-paid or pay-as-you-go data plans yet.

Over the next couple of years, consumers will be faced with finding the right balance of devices to suit their needs. Do most people need a desktop/laptop, subscription based tablet AND a smartphone with data plan? Probably not.

Myself: Between consumption and creation, I have a preference and need for creation devices. This means that I will most definitely need a desktop or laptop computer. Currently, I have a personal laptop and a work laptop. I will not likely ever purchase another laptop, instead opting for a powerful desktop. When I'm on the go, my company provides me with a tablet for e-mail consumption and document access. That's all I really need.

As a consumer, I have to ask whether I need a smartphone. Since I already have a tablet, I don't really need to have a data capable phone. I'm seriously considering downgrading my phone to a basic cell phone for text messaging and voice.

To further complicate matters, my company also provides me with a company cell phone (I could use it for personal, but I like to keep them separate). When I'm eligible for an upgrade, I might consider something like the Galaxy Note... if that's the case, then the need for a tablet is back up in the air even though it's company provided.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,053 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 10, 2012 12:59 |  #86

RDKirk wrote in post #15348470 (external link)
That gave me two options: The LG Intuition or the Samsung Galaxy Note II.

As of right now I'm planning on getting a Note II. If I strike quickly enough that'll be the one. If I lag I'll probably end up with a Galaxy S4 when it comes out...

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 10, 2012 13:03 |  #87

RDKirk wrote in post #15349353 (external link)
Sarcasm translates poorly in wide-open forums such as this. Cultures, experience levels, et cetera, are far too broad (and some cultures don't really sarcasm at all).

I'm pretty sure sarcasm exists in Cali. I'm also pretty sure Hollis is well aware that smartphones can be turned off. No cultural or web-board translation needed, really.

I'd guess Mr. fotocrack was just trying to be helpful and replied just a bit too quickly! ;)

Tom

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,937 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 10, 2012 13:20 |  #88

Nathan wrote in post #15349440 (external link)
Here's a serious rebuttal to a serious response to a sarcastic comment. Is it really worth getting a smartphone even if you get it cheap? The real cost of that S3 you purchased is not $.99, but rather is the cost of the data plan you signed up for. Even if you turn data off, you're still paying for the plan. I am not aware of any pre-paid or pay-as-you-go data plans yet.

Answer: Google Nexus 4 - $300 from http://play.google.com (external link) + T-Mobile new subscriber monthly @ $30/month (100' talk, unlimited text/data -- 4G speeds up to 5GB/mo -- additional talk at only $0.10/minute).

So, that saves me $50/month ($80 (VZW) - $30 (T-Mo)) = $600/year. Take out the extra $150 for the phone, and it's an extra $6.25/month, but still a lot of cash saved.

2013, America will see a bit of a revolution for mobile access. T-Mobile is going away from phone subsidies in 2013 (external link), and only offering their value plans to customers. Then, you have Google under-cutting the crap out of all other top-tier unlocked GSM phones ($300 for a Nexus 4 vs $1000 for iPhone 5, $500 Galaxy Nexus) -- so we're sure to see many $300-and-under quad-core GSM phones to compete.

The best thing is that we'll be free from the stupid provider apps and lockdowns on the phones. If only we could roll over the cable monopoly.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

RDKirk
13,281 posts
Joined May 2004

Dec 10, 2012 14:01 |  #89

Nathan wrote in post #15349440 (external link)
Over the next couple of years, consumers will be faced with finding the right balance of devices to suit their needs. Do most people need a desktop/laptop, subscription based tablet AND a smartphone with data plan? Probably not.

I think we see sales data indicating that the market is shaking itself out in terms of who needs what, although maddingly the pundits don't seem to understand what they're seeing. It's not phones versus tablets versus computers, it's content creators versus content consumers. The next "War and Peace" will not be written on a tablet or phone.

As I mentioned, with a Note-sized phone ("phablet") supplying my mobile "consumption" and voice communication needs and a convertable ultrabook supplying my mobile creation and text communication needs, I have no need of a tablet (and the two devices share a data account, thanks to PDANet).

Not real soon, though, will either device replace my image editing desktop. For that, I will continue to need a combination of ram, cpu speed, and monitor size that won't come in an an ultrabook format for a long time...and should not.

fotocrack
194 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 11, 2012 02:42 |  #90

RTPVid wrote in post #15349470 (external link)
I'm pretty sure sarcasm exists in Cali. I'm also pretty sure Hollis is well aware that smartphones can be turned off. No cultural or web-board translation needed, really.

I'd guess Mr. fotocrack was just trying to be helpful and replied just a bit too quickly! ;)

Touche! I missed the sarcasm :oops:
Regarding the cost of the plan I did not factor that in since I am only paying $30 for voice, text and data. I got a cheap good ol sprint plan

5DM3 lover :cool: //My custom build computer //My Feedback
PLEASE DONATE TO YOUR LOCAL FOOD BANKS AND LOCAL CHARITIES

sponsored links

10,613 views & 0 likes for this thread
Time for a new Cell phone whats your choice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.