Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 08 May 2006 (Monday) 18:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where's Nifty?! #2

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 05, 2012 08:32 |  #5956

Killjoy wrote in post #15327354 (external link)
We've discussed that before, and it's been decided that it's best to keep it all here.
There were some images from the original nifty (that died a horrible death) that were hosted on someone's web site.
Those images are lost forever. We aren't going that route again.
Yes, it's possible that people link to images from their own sites, and eventually delete things, or move things, but we won't lose the whole thread of images in one fell swoop.

Hmmm. I could offer to host them on my blog page. But that all depends on how much space those would take up. I'll have to look into that. I wouldn't mind doing it so long as it didn't eat away at the space available to my blog.

The other problem is, people would have to send the files to me so I could get them up on the blog. I would give people access to upload photos but then that opens the door to all of the spammers out there. I had to block comments at my blog because I was getting 40 - 60 SPAM messages per day.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links
Sokol ­ Photography
114 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 05, 2012 12:02 |  #5957

I'll be PM-ing CW Jones directly, and should have pics up this weekend. Again I apologize for the delay. My 11 year old was hospitalized, and it kinda drew attention away from things.

Chris

Gripped 5D mk II, Gripped 7D, 70-200mm f2.8L USM, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2L, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Sigma 70-300mm APO 1:4-5.6, Tamron 19-35mm 1:3.5-4.5, Nifty Fifty, Yongnuo YN468 (1) & YN560 IV (3), YN560 TX, RF-602/C set, lots of toys, and a bunch of studio stuff.
Chris Sokol/Sokol Photography

joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,483 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 05, 2012 12:09 |  #5958

As Killjoy has explained.. We have lost a great number of images to a now defunct website. We have been given permission by the Mods to keep the photos here in the thread and that is a decision that was made a couple of years ago.

This idea comes up every so often. It would be great in a perfect world where no one every loses interest, and keeps things up to date and devotes time and energy into a project that is not really their own. We will continue to host the photos on POTN and continue to chit chat and enjoy each others company and contributions.. Thanks for the offer.

CameraMan wrote in post #15328983 (external link)
Hmmm. I could offer to host them on my blog page. But that all depends on how much space those would take up. I'll have to look into that. I wouldn't mind doing it so long as it didn't eat away at the space available to my blog.

The other problem is, people would have to send the files to me so I could get them up on the blog. I would give people access to upload photos but then that opens the door to all of the spammers out there. I had to block comments at my blog because I was getting 40 - 60 SPAM messages per day.

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post to which you are responding.

joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 05, 2012 12:13 |  #5959

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #15328955 (external link)
Okay then, I will wait for my turn. :)

Edit: by the way, I understand the images are hosted at http://www.nifty50.glo​bal.photoshare.co.nz (external link) but the site was down yesterday and is still down today. Have the images been moved somewhere else maybe?

That website is defunct.. no one has the password and I'm sure that the ownership has lapsed. This is part of the ongoing discussion about where the photos belong. The only images left are here in the thread.. Sadly no one can edit Carzee's initial post.

joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 05, 2012 12:17 |  #5960

Sokol Photography wrote in post #15329653 (external link)
I'll be PM-ing CW Jones directly, and should have pics up this weekend. Again I apologize for the delay. My 11 year old was hospitalized, and it kinda drew attention away from things.

Chris

Chris.. Hope your daughter is recovering and now healthy and happy! Sorry to hear about her hospitalization. I know we all wish her well.

We look forward to seeing your photos

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 350 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 05, 2012 12:37 |  #5961

joayne wrote in post #15329680 (external link)
That website is defunct.. no one has the password and I'm sure that the ownership has lapsed. This is part of the ongoing discussion about where the photos belong. The only images left are here in the thread.. Sadly no one can edit Carzee's initial post.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I must say that I thought it a bit odd to read in the OP that the images were hosted elsewhere as that is almost a guarantee the images will be lost at some point, so a good idea to keep them here at POTN.

Joayne, I don't understand about Carzee's initial post. Mods can edit posts, can't they?

I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
My flickr (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 05, 2012 12:44 |  #5962

llareggub wrote in post #15133023 (external link)
Possibly the most sobering and toughing memorial I have ever seen anywhere in the world is this on the banks of the danube, created in 2005 Gyula Pauer and Can Togay and sits in a fairly unassuming position on the banks of the River Danube between the Parliament building and the Chain Bridge. It honors the Jews who were killed by fascist Arrow Cross militiamen in Budapest during World War II, after being ordered to remove their shoes they were shot at the edge of the water so that their bodies fell into the river and were carried away.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

What an extraordinary monument. I believe you when you say that this is the most sobering and touching memorial you have ever seen. It sent shivers up my spine and brought tears to my eyes. Being from the Netherlands we have some war traumas of our own, all of which I grew up with. Thank you for sharing these.

joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 05, 2012 12:47 |  #5963

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #15329757 (external link)
Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I must say that I thought it a bit odd to read in the OP that the images were hosted elsewhere as that is almost a guarantee the images will be lost at some point, so a good idea to keep them here at POTN.

Joayne, I don't understand about Carzee's initial post. Mods can edit posts, can't they?

Never Asked..  :p

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 05, 2012 12:50 |  #5964

^^^ Haha, right, well that explains it then! :) :)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 05, 2012 13:49 |  #5965

Sokol Photography wrote in post #15329653 (external link)

Chris

I have CW Jones info to send on my Nifty, if you would like to move to next on the list or I can just let me know, will be shipping mine out Friday

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 08, 2012 22:49 as a reply to  @ post 15327625 |  #5966

Nifty has been sent to CW Jones

CW ­ Jones
737 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 10, 2012 17:27 |  #5967

And I am in possession of Nifty! Should be sending it out either right before the holidays or waiting till just after, not sure yet haha

-Collin
Canon 30D Gripped + The "Budget Trinity" of lenses.
Full Gear List Here
Flickr (external link)
Razzi (external link)

joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 10, 2012 17:36 |  #5968

Two lenses through 3 host and no photos  ???

Killjoy
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 10, 2012 18:44 |  #5969

joayne wrote in post #15350502 (external link)
Two lenses through 3 host and no photos  ???

Folks, the idea behind this whole thread is that once you get your hands on Nifty, you not only take photos with the lens, you share them in this thread.
It's not a freebie for you to just check it out if you'd like to buy one or not.

So please, if you are on the list, be prepared to show some images. If you have had a Nifty lens, and have not yet shared some images, please break them out, and share them here.

Thanks

Some people hunt with a gun. I use a Canon.
My Smugmug (external link) page
All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 13, 2012 01:26 |  #5970

Come on you hosts out there.
The last picture posted was over 2 weeks ago!! When you think that there are at least 3 lenses on the go, that is not good! There are hundreds of Christmas activities going on, so noone can say there was nothing to shoot.

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

sponsored links

2,892,973 views & 5,990 likes for this thread
Where's Nifty?! #2
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.