Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Dec 2012 (Wednesday) 19:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

About the Canon T3i LCD...

techzee
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 12, 2012 19:35 |  #1

I recently got a Canon T3i. So far, i think i have learned all of the important buttons for it thanks to the manual as well as the internet.

Before I state the problem I have of it, I just want to apologize in advance if any of you do not understand what I am asking. It's really hard to explain but i will try to make sense.

Anyways, I also have the SONY Cyber-shot and on this LCD panel, before you take an actual picture, you are able to view it in the LCD panel first and then you are able to take a picture. Is it like that with the Canon T3i?

Because every time I try to take a picture after playing with the settings, I can only look through the viewfinder to take an actual picture, I can't just look in the LCD panel because all that shows up in my LCD are settings. Does Canon T3i have that feature or no? If so, then how do I make it possible so that I can view what picture I will be taking on my LCD first so that I can take a good picture?

I hope that made sense and if not, I am sorry for wasting your time :(

sponsored links
LARAB
73 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 12, 2012 19:57 |  #2

This might help, let me know if it does not. -Brian

http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …OSLiveView_Quic​kGuide.pdf (external link)

jherm87
385 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 12, 2012 20:02 |  #3

push the little button with the picture of the camera on it, that will give you live view

[T3i gripped] [18-55][55-250 4.5/5.6][28mm 1.8][40mm 2.8][50mm 1.4][50mm 1.8][Samyang 8mm fisheye][580exII, 430ex, 220ex]

KhanhD
"I need a grip . . . on my life"
1,523 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 12, 2012 20:22 |  #4

Continue reading the manual. ;)

Khanh Duong | KHDPhoto.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)
iPhone 5s + Instagram (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,655 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Dec 12, 2012 20:51 as a reply to  @ KhanhD's post |  #5

Yes, it's called "Live View"...Push the button with the camera icon on it, just to the right of the optical viewfinder.

You can read about it starting on page 123 in the English language manual.

Welcome to POTN.:)

Mark

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,273 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 12, 2012 21:23 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #6

For general photography, the optical viewfinder is preferred. Live view, explained in the previous posts, is used primarily for video, awkward shooting angles with the articulated screen, and close-up photography.

techzee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 12, 2012 22:05 as a reply to  @ oldvultureface's post |  #7

i thought that icon was only for when taking videos. Because i did press it and tried to take a picture and it wouldn't let me =/

rrblint
22,655 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 12, 2012 22:07 as a reply to  @ techzee's post |  #8

Did you use the shutter button to take the shot?

Mark

techzee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 12, 2012 22:09 |  #9

yes i did!

i pressed it completely down and not halfway. All it did was focus but not take the picture.

@LARAB thank you for that but it didn't quite help. but i appreciate the help =]
@rrblint I did re-read that page and did everything it said, but still nothing, it only focuses. thanks for the welcome by the way ^_^

Yetihenry
101 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 12, 2012 23:27 |  #10

Turn it to manual, and then try it. It's likely you had it set so it won't shoot without focus/ae lock.

Fuji Xe2 | 35mm F2 | 12mm F2 | 85mm f1.8 | My bag | Gear list/References

techzee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 13, 2012 09:55 |  #11

oh wow. It totally works when it is in manual focus!! bot auto focus tho. do you know how i can change my settings so that i can take pictures when it is auto focused? Because once I got the camera all i changed was the date and the time. I did not change any settings. Even if I did, I would have put it back to its default setting.

thank you so much for everyone helping me!!!

rrblint
22,655 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 13, 2012 10:17 as a reply to  @ techzee's post |  #12

Ok, let's see if we can get you straightened out...I need to ask some questions in order to figure out what's wrong and I must leave in about 20 min, so bear with me.

First: What shooting mode are you using(such as A+, one of the other "scene modes", P, Av, Tv, or M)?

Mark

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,722 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 13, 2012 11:14 |  #13

You make the statement everything should be at default settings. Try this procedure to be absolutely certain they are then retest...

If you have the manual go to page 176 and follow the instructions to revert to the Default Settings. If not go to the menus, select the 9th item from the left (should be the 3rd wrench). Under that you will find a choice for "Clear Settings" - move downward to select that choice. You should now get a screen with the choice to "Clear all camera settings" - select and hit the "Set" button. Do the same for the choice "Clear all Custom Func. (C. Fn.).

Exit all the way out and retest, but before doing that make absolutely certain the switch on the lens is fully moved to the "Auto" position.

techzee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 13, 2012 11:38 |  #14

@rrblint I shoot in M mode mostly.

@john i did what you said, but it still does the same thing.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,722 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 13, 2012 14:04 |  #15

This is shaping up to be something strange! What lens is on your camera by the way.

Canon makes a series of online tutorials for the 60D. The 60D in many ways, particularly the menus is similar to the T3i. Go to http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …s/eos_60d_tutor​ials.shtml (external link) for the 60D tutorials, of which there are 14. You can scroll left/right to select a topic one of which is Live View. Select it and then watch it and see if you are missing anything critical.

sponsored links

1,672 views & 0 likes for this thread
About the Canon T3i LCD...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.