Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Dec 2012 (Wednesday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Good Tripod with ball head?

FreeSoul1987
520 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 12, 2012 11:32 |  #1

I am looking to add a second tripod to my gear, one that pans easily and quickly but locks securely into place. I am looking at some of the Manfrotto tripods, I kind of like the 055XPROB 3-section tripod, and I like the 324RC2 Joy stick head. I'd like one close to that, it just looks easier than the one I have now which has 3 handles. Any tips or referrals would be much appreciated.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*
www.FreeSoulPhotograph​y.smugmug.com (external link)
Gear: Canon EOS 70D, 430EX II flash, Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD II, Canon 18-55mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 12, 2012 11:45 |  #2

Get a decent ballhead. The 486RC2 or so is okay if you prefer the Manfrotto QR system.
The 324RC2 Joy stick head is not a decent ballhead, but a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Personally, I'd go for something with an Arca Swiss style QR…

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 12, 2012 12:45 |  #3

I tried the 324 ball head, I'd avoid it. it would not go into positions I wanted to shoot from. Like Rene says, the 486 is good if you want to stick with Manfrotto. My first choice would be on the RRS bullheads, BH-30 or BH-40.

pfjbaldwin
328 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 12, 2012 12:55 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #4

I have the 055 with the older 322 head and like it for studio work. The 324 is great for quick reset camera position and lock, but not for panning. You need a ballhead.

pfjohnsonphotography.c​om, pfjphoto.com, Baldwin, MD
CPS

FreeSoul1987
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 12, 2012 13:31 |  #5

Thanks so far, I have an older model Bogen 3021 tripod legs with a Bogen 3029 head, I got it off Amazon like 2 years ago and am wondering if I should upgrade. I am just really beginning to use my tripod so I am a bit dumb in this matter, I cannot see how to remove the 3029 head if at all. If I can, then I'd like to just purchase a new head because I like the tripod itself, it is sturdy and strong.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*
www.FreeSoulPhotograph​y.smugmug.com (external link)
Gear: Canon EOS 70D, 430EX II flash, Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD II, Canon 18-55mm lens, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens

DavidR
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 12, 2012 21:04 as a reply to  @ FreeSoul1987's post |  #6

The 3021 was the predecessor to the Manfrotto 055x series and is still an excellent tripod. Check on the underside of the center column. There are three setscrews that need to be loosened. After they are loose, the head can be unscrewed off of the tripod.

I recommend putting the money into a quality ballhead. The Markins Q10 (external link) would be my choice for the 3021.

Sony a9II

mckinleypics
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 12, 2012 21:16 |  #7

I have that tripod and like it fine. I have a RRS BH-40 ballhead on it and like it a bunch.

Dave
7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,343 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Good Tripod with ball head?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.