Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 30 Nov 2012 (Friday) 18:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LCD loupe or view recomendations

stickman513
588 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 30, 2012 18:06 |  #1

I posted this in landscape talk as well, but thought you video guys probably have a lot more experience with these.

I am looking at a "HOODMAN" type of loupe or view for shooting in bright conditions for focus, chimping and poss some video in the future.

I really have no experience with these and hope anyone can point me in right direction or give recommendations or experience with the hoodman set up or others that work well

Any help is appreciated,
Doug

Doug
6D | T2i
24-105L | 70-200L 2.8 II | 10-22 | 105 Macro
430 EX II | Yongnuo Triggers | Manfrotto Legs | Lee & Marumi Filters

sponsored links
mizer357
213 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 30, 2012 20:28 |  #2

what camera? i've been using a zacuto z-finder on a 5d2 and 5d3, and a carryspeed viewfinder on a t3i. for the z-finder, i actually prefer the stick-on mounting frame over the gorilla plate -- just less stuff.

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 01, 2012 07:42 |  #3

Any loupe is better than nothing. The cheap ones are so cheap it is almost worth getting one as a trial on the assumption you will upgrade quite quickly. This way you can at least see if it does what you want.

Zacuto Z Finder seems to be the benchmark and commands a price tag to match. There are many, many cheaper alternatives but they probably don't have the same quality.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

stickman513
THREAD ­ STARTER
588 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 01, 2012 10:31 |  #4

Mizer, I have a T2i.

John, wow that does command a price.
Looks like I will try out the hoodman, seems to get decent reviews and seems reasonably priced.

Doug
6D | T2i

Madwrench
633 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 03, 2012 16:27 |  #5

John Sims wrote in post #15311703 (external link)
Any loupe is better than nothing. The cheap ones are so cheap it is almost worth getting one as a trial on the assumption you will upgrade quite quickly. This way you can at least see if it does what you want.

Zacuto Z Finder seems to be the benchmark and commands a price tag to match. There are many, many cheaper alternatives but they probably don't have the same quality.

I totally agree. I think I paid around $35 for a CarrySpeed loupe. When I ordered it I wasn't sure how much I would really use it, but I was surprised at how much it helps, even though it has no diopter adjustment, so it isn't perfect for my eye's focus.

So, yeah - any loupe (especially with Magic Lantern's focus assistance) is FAR better than nothing.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 04, 2012 12:55 |  #6

As others have suggested, get a cheap one and it will at least give you an idea of what it will do for you - there are tons on eBay.

I have a Samsung NX100 that I use with old Canon FD lenses, it was a real struggle to focus them manually on the LCD. I sprung for an electronic viewfinder but that was even worse. Bought a $12 loupe off eBay and enjoying it now! :)

Joel

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 05, 2012 13:24 |  #7

Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x all the way! I had a couple cheaper ones and they didnt even come close. When I first got the Z-Finder I started with the stick on frames on my bodies, but now I have the Zacuto EVF Snap and use it with that.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

akivisuals
67 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 09, 2012 18:02 |  #8

I have had a few Zacuto Z-finder Pro loupes and they are awesome. The only part I hate is when the rubber eyecup falls off with the anti fog disc and this happens often. I also own the new Carryspeed loupe with the quick release and the hinged cover. It's designed very smartly. It uses a standard Arca Swiss style baseplate, has a quick release for the entire finder, has a hinged portion so that you can see the screen without taking anything off and a built in eyepiece protector. The view vignettes slightly in the corners but overall is very good. It's cheap too!

Canon 5D3 | 5D2 | 15 fish | 35L | 50L | 50 macro | 85L | 100L macro | 135L | 17-40L | 24-70L | 24-105L | 70-200L IS II | 100-400L | 1.4x | 3x 580EX | 550EX | 2x 540EZ

stickman513
THREAD ­ STARTER
588 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 11, 2012 12:39 |  #9

thanks akivisuals, ill look into that one

Doug
6D | T2i

francis_a
238 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 11, 2012 22:42 |  #10

Very timely post OP. I've between thinking of getting a LCD viewfinder. Considered the z-finder and letus hawk but the price is the factor stopping me. Then I saw the vf3 swivi from carryspeed.

Looks like it fits the bill, including price. Quick detach, no sticky thingy, no frames, LCD on the t3i can swing out still. Pretty much everything I was looking for.

Ya, check it out, it might work out for ya. Getting one myself this week.

Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW | Crumpler 6MDH | Lumiquest Quik Bounce 80/20

dngphoto
384 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 12, 2012 21:31 |  #11

i have this attached to my t2i http://www.amazon.com …eywords=perfect​+viewer+3x (external link)

I like it a lot and if they sold the adhesive screen protector separately I would buy it so I could use on both of my cameras

Sean - dngphoto&film 5dii Gripped / Σ 50 1.4 / Canon 28-135 USM / Σ 12-24 HSM

agphotography
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 17, 2012 10:56 |  #12

I have the older Z-Finder Pro, before they had the 2.5x and all that so mine's a 3.0x but it is a real gem and an invaluable piece of equipment for video recording.

I have never once regretted that purchase.

-Abram-
www.goglanianphoto.com (external link)
500px (external link) / Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)

sponsored links

2,236 views & 0 likes for this thread
LCD loupe or view recomendations
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.