Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 10 Dec 2012 (Monday) 21:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographer's Reflective Jacket

Shudderbug
228 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 10, 2012 21:50 |  #1

I had this kind of a crazy, odd idea, but I have not been able to find anything... I do quite a bit of walking around in areas that is not generally advisable to walk (typical photographer thing, sometimes go out on the line for a shot). Generally, I try to make myself as visible as possible and avoid cars and other such dangers as much as I can. However, I was thinking it would be better if I got a reflective vest or jacket (think yellow/green reflective vest or a light jacket that with a reflective "security" on the back) just to be absolutely visible for when I take pictures in, say, the road or on the edge of a road in the dark.

I thought though that it'd be pretty cool, for grins and chuckles, if I could get one of those with the title "photographer" on the back instead of "police" or "security." Despite looking on the internet, I could not find many results so I was curious if anyone here has ever thought of the same thing or found something similar.

Chris
7D Gripped, 5D, Digital Rebel, 70-200mm f/2.8 (non-IS), 24-70mm f/2.8 mk1, 16-35mm, 28-135mm IS, 50mm f/1.8, 580ex II, 430ex II, Yongnuo YN560

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 11, 2012 00:42 |  #2

find a uniform shop where you live, they should have what you want and from my dealings with them are happy to put whatever lettering you want on the back, assuming it's not copy righted/trade marked.

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 11, 2012 10:12 |  #3

The vests are readily available on Amazon. Just search "reflective vest" and you'll find them. You'd have to take it somewhere to have the lettering put on, though.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

Hardrock40
467 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 13, 2012 01:31 |  #4

I've thought about it also, but then think no, I do not need kids throwing bottles at me because they noticed me in plenty of time to get ready. I'll just stay out of the way of traffic and if I get hit on the sidewalk or off the road, a vest wouldn't have helped anyway.

JamesDurbinMedia
159 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 13, 2012 01:46 |  #5

Who gives a $hit if it says "photographer" just get a reflective vest and be safe. It's a state law in most states that you wear one when working on a state roadway. I'd rather have the same kind the police do than one i paid extra for that advertises me as a member of the media. The police already treat us news photographers like $hit, I'd rather not be advertising my occupation on my back. I guess it's a cooler idea for you folks who don't actually make pictures for a living.

J.D
Staff Photographer - Hearst Corporation - Newspaper Division

BillGil
245 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 13, 2012 02:56 |  #6

I don't think I would want to walk around in the dark highlighting the fact that as a photographer I might be carrying some expensive equipment with me.

Bill

Canon 40D | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/4L IS l EF-S 10-22mm | 580EX II | Manfrotto 055PROXB w/488RC2 l Kata R-103 | Crumpler 6MDH

Shudderbug
THREAD ­ STARTER
228 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 13, 2012 07:45 |  #7

As far as whether it says photographer or is just reflective, there is no value to it saying photographer other than for grins and chuckles. Just for my own humor. As far as whether to wear a reflective vest or not, it depends on a situation. At this time of the year, there are some cool scenes in woods, but wearing drab colors (black, brown, green, etc. as I typically wear) is hardly ideal - getting mistaken for a deer is not on my 101-things-to-do-before-you-die list. Instances like that is when I will grab something bright I was in the woods the other day, on a service road but still, and thought that I needed to grab something different next time I come out. Generally when I work around roads, I stay out of the way of traffic, but again, that extra step of letting people know you are around helps sometimes. The title photographer was purely for my own humor - I saw the titles on the back of various reflective jackets and thought it would be funny to have one that said photographer.

Thanks for the input

Chris
7D Gripped, 5D, Digital Rebel, 70-200mm f/2.8 (non-IS), 24-70mm f/2.8 mk1, 16-35mm, 28-135mm IS, 50mm f/1.8, 580ex II, 430ex II, Yongnuo YN560

Shudderbug
THREAD ­ STARTER
228 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 13, 2012 07:49 |  #8

And for the record, I do in fact work with the county newspaper as a contractor in addition to senior portraits and weddings on occasion. So it is a funny idea to some people that make a business in photography.

Chris

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 13, 2012 17:52 |  #9

Shudderbug wrote in post #15361334 (external link)
As far as whether it says photographer or is just reflective, there is no value to it saying photographer other than for grins and chuckles. Just for my own humor. As far as whether to wear a reflective vest or not, it depends on a situation. At this time of the year, there are some cool scenes in woods, but wearing drab colors (black, brown, green, etc. as I typically wear) is hardly ideal - getting mistaken for a deer is not on my 101-things-to-do-before-you-die list. Instances like that is when I will grab something bright I was in the woods the other day, on a service road but still, and thought that I needed to grab something different next time I come out. Generally when I work around roads, I stay out of the way of traffic, but again, that extra step of letting people know you are around helps sometimes. The title photographer was purely for my own humor - I saw the titles on the back of various reflective jackets and thought it would be funny to have one that said photographer.

Thanks for the input

Hit Cabela's then for a hunting vest; at least it'll have pockets you can use. Only time I'd wear a high-viz vest/jacket that has a title on the back is working on the flight line or other supremely high-risk, but contained, area.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Shudderbug
THREAD ­ STARTER
228 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 14, 2012 11:23 |  #10

^ I like that idea - pockets are supremely useful. Thanks

Chris

ump107
62 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 15, 2012 11:45 |  #11

Not knowing where you are going to shoot several vests may actually be in order. If you are going into the woods the Orange hunters vest from Cabela’s is perfect. Just don’t wear a white hat or coat last thing you need is some irresponsible hunter shooting at you thinking you’re a deer’s but. For work on or near a roadway a ANSI compliant vest with reflective stripping is the best. The Lime Yellow prevents the confusion with traffic barrels. (Yes some drivers that have struck road workers have stated that they thought they hit a traffic barrel.) If you want a safety jacket with Photographer on the back of it you can try a Google search for safety coat reflective. Many companies such as Galls or Full source will offer titles put on back of coats or vests.

Alan
Full Gear List
Canon 40D, Canon BG-E2N Battery grip, Canon 580 EX II
Canon 18-55mm EFS 3.5-5.6 IS, Canon 28-105mm EF 3.5-4 USM, Canon 50mm 1.8,
Tamron 28-80mm 3.5-5.6, Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro

Bang ­ Bang ­ Boy
Goldmember
1,347 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 15, 2012 15:29 |  #12

A friend of mine has one like that. He usually wears it when shooting car accidents or fires.
Really handy for not getting run over I suppose. Me I hate them and would rather risk getting hit than putting that over my big winter jacket.

Lots of old stuff but hey I am a student
Photojournalist in Johannesburg.

Firemike
" lingering odor "
3,654 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 15, 2012 16:39 |  #13

In addition to EMS jackets, you might try a cycling shop as many of those jackets are partially or fully reflective. They also have pockets.

Michael
Gear List

sponsored links

3,242 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographer's Reflective Jacket
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.