Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 28 Nov 2012 (Wednesday) 16:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tips for Boring or Dark Wedding Ceremony Venues?

NYC2BGI
846 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 07, 2012 07:16 |  #31

IllusionGrafix wrote in post #15334374 (external link)
I'm surprised with how many of you run into no-flash rules at churches. I have yet to have a church not allow me to use flashes for the ceremony. It seems most people have the same idea with ugly venues though, just shoot close and let the DOF kill the background.

Obviously if you can't add light, it is just a matter of cranking iso up and using small apertures, your hands are tied.

I was thinking the same thing. I have not had a church where flash was not allowed. I have always asked the reverend in charge and they tell me to fire away.

Canon 5D3, 5D2, 40D
EF 50mm f1.4, EF 85mm f1.8,
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
http://www.facebook.co​m/HightechPix (external link)

sponsored links
jcolman
Goldmember
2,624 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 07, 2012 08:53 |  #32

Sovern wrote in post #15335949 (external link)
Good advice here, actually I personally think that I'd rather just shoot with one flash for bounce right on camera if it was allowed combined with high iso.

Now you're on the right track. During a wedding, things are moving so fast that you rarely have time to put into practice things like "an assistant with some lights behind me so that the inverse square light law etc... etc... etc" You just have to shoot.

During the reception, you can put up lights and shoot better quality photos. I usually place 3 or 4 lights around the reception venue.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 07, 2012 09:22 |  #33

NYC2BGI wrote in post #15337134 (external link)
I was thinking the same thing. I have not had a church where flash was not allowed. I have always asked the reverend in charge and they tell me to fire away.

Now that's curious. My experience has been quite the opposite. Now I wonder where the difference is. Is it regional? Is it denominational? A combination of both? Or is it really just random luck of the draw?

I'm in southern Indiana and the churches I have most frequently shot in were larger and older churches. Many were catholic churches in fact with the stained glass and lovely architecture. The few places where I haven't run into a problem have been smaller modern "churches", many of which from the outside aren't very, for lack of a better word, "churchy" looking. It has been about 1 in 3 smaller rural churches that have allowed flash photography during the ceremony. One pastor specifically told me that his main concern wasn't me with a flash, but that there were over 100 people in the audience with cameras and camera phones that he didn't want to encourage as he wanted them to be "one with the new family" while they exchange vows rather than be watching from behind their camera which "disconnects" them. I happen to agree with this part but I'm not sure what the hired pro's flash has to do with it.

I have shot two Jewish ceremonies which didn't allow flash photography and an Indian wedding which was an amazing affair which not only insisted that I do whatever I could to capture everything, but wore me out wanting a shot of each guest with the wedding couple! (I would love to specialize in Indian weddings if there were enough of that culture in my area to support me!)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

cabinajm
812 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 13, 2012 09:39 |  #34

I recently attended a wedding for a family member where I was not the photographer. I even left my camera at home (big mistake). Anyway, I commandeered one of my cousins' Rebel XS with kit lens and immediately turned it to manual mode and started shooting. I bumped the ISO up to 1600 and opened up the aperture as wide as the lens would allow. When I reviewed the pictures I saw a lot of noise and the pictures were all blurry, mostly due to lower MP of the sensor, distance from the B&G and light falloff to the lens. There was only one skylight above the altar and double glass doors in the back of the church, other than that there was no other light source.

The priest would not allow flash during the ceremony.

This picture was taken during the rehersal the day before, using my 5dII and 24-70.

IMAGE: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/177350_10151119668391190_566547474_o.jpg

-Chris
A couple Canons, a flash, a bunch of lenses and LIGHTS!
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

bluefire7
190 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 19, 2012 09:39 |  #35

ISO tests should be conducted without on onboard flash on ETTL. i think 99.99% of everyone here will agree that the 5D classic or any other full frame camera is vastly superior to any rebel in that department. at churches, you're bound to have darker areas/colors which is where noise really shows itself. exposing to the right helps, but definitely more so on FF than crop.

Canon 5DmkIV | Canon 16-35 F2.8L II, Canon 100 F2.8L Macro, Canon 135 F2L, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II, Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS II, Sigma 50 F1.4 ART, Sigma 85 F1.4, | Canon 600 RT, Canon 580 EXII, Canon 430 EXII | Radiopopper JrX's
NY Wedding Photographer (external link):eek:
LIKE Us (external link):cool:

MFG
536 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 19, 2012 17:13 |  #36

very nice to read all the discussions here.
of course with the current model ie 5D3 etc ISO >5000 can be really clean.

In terms of Tips for boring event, here i go,
1. Someone mentioned "tight" -> use longer focal length and move yourself (hopefully) to get some nice Background.
2. get some details rather than overall.

for Dark churches,
0. take RAW (I assume everyone (almost) takes in RAW) :)
1. Rule one for me, Prevent slow shutter speed (1/30 min -> depend on FL too). 200mm -> 1/60 min
2. If your cam body does not have a clean high ISO, I will go to the max (clean -> subjective) ISO then lower EV to -2/3. **This -EV here is to help increase the min shutter speed since I cant increase ISO. If you really cant maintain the min SS, "F it" and increase your ISO! Rather take sharp pic with noise than clean yet blurry pic.
3. Flash or no flash... of course if u can, then use it. Even if I dont fire flash, I ETTL it. (I am yet to experience churches that forbides flash but I have never fire flash in churches. I want to be as slient as possible.

If the above dont work for you, its time to upgrade your camera body.

Hope that's helpful.
Cheers,
Scott

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

dubaiphotography
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 20, 2012 01:44 |  #37

Great work.
Thanks.

sponsored links

8,783 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tips for Boring or Dark Wedding Ceremony Venues?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.