Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Dec 2012 (Thursday) 13:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Filter Setup for 17-40 on FF

B.Toews
780 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 13, 2012 13:59 |  #1

I am looking into a filter setup for my 17-40 on my 5D. I am considering the Cokin Z-Pro or Lee holder with the wide angle adapter.

I am looking for suggestions for using a CP with GNDs in a filter holder. I assume that I will need a drop-in filter? If so, best option I have seen so far seems to be the Singh-Ray LB CP in a sprocket mount. I know a number of photographers who use and like the Singh-Ray, but at $400 it's more than I'd like to spend.

I'm wondering if there are any options that I'm missing, or should I just go with the Singh-Ray?

Or another option, would it be better to get the Singh-Ray screw-in CP (for half the price) and handhold a GND in front of it?

Leica M3 | Leica M4-P
Fuji X-Pro1 | XF 35/2
Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
koffikapp
45 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 13, 2012 17:11 |  #2

I use the 17-40mm on a 5D mk II, and recently upgraded to 100x150mm (4x6) Singh-Ray filters from their 84x120mm (Cokin P) equivalents, and bought their Z-Pro LB Warming polarizer as well, for use with the Cokin Z-Pro holder. I did this as I wanted something that offered more flexibility and less vignetting.

With the Z-Pro polarizer and only one slot in the holder I get slight vignetting at 17mm which is practically gone by 19mm. If you want to eliminate vignetting completely you'd be better off getting a 77mm thin-mount screw-in CPL and then hand holding grads in front of that. I like the Z-Pro option as it's easier to combine polarizer, solid ND and grads for long(ish) exposures, or if it's cold outside.

Another option again would be to get the Vari-N-Duo and handhold the grads, as this particular filter replaces several solid NDs and a warming polarizer, at the cost of the Z-Pro warming polarizer by itself. Though with this you'll have some vignetting, I have a Vari-N-Duo in standard mount and get vignetting up until about 24-25mm with the 17-40, and I believe the thin mount vignettes until about 21-22mm.

Regards

ninhja
867 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 13, 2012 17:19 |  #3

I also use a 17-40 on a 5D2 but I use the Lee Holder & Wide Angle Adapter. I use Lee GNDs which work great. I have not bought a 4x4 CPL to drop into the holder yet, but I plan to in the future.The advantage of having a holder is being able to stack filters and adjust each one.

When I use my Marumi CPL, I hand hold my GNDs, which has worked pretty well as long as I wasn't in freezing cold temperatures where I shiver.

Flickr (external link)

imposterjeff
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 13, 2012 17:21 |  #4

i use lees love them, i currently use a big stopper, .9 soft nd grad, .6 hard nd grad, .6 soft nd grad, and i have coming to me 105mm adapter for a cpl which is a b+w kaesemann and the wide angle hood as well.

all in all can not go wrong with lees or singh-ray

5Dmkii bge6 x2
Σ 35 ART | Σ 50 ART | Σ 85mm | 135mm f/2L
Leica m6ttl | voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 | pentax 6x7 | 105MM F2.4

ninhja
867 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 13, 2012 17:23 |  #5

imposterjeff wrote in post #15363548 (external link)
i use lees love them, i currently use a big stopper, .9 soft nd grad, .6 hard nd grad, .6 soft nd grad, and i have coming to me 105mm adapter for a cpl which is a b+w kaesemann and the wide angle hood as well.

all in all can not go wrong with lees or singh-ray

the 105mm CPL is freaking impressive -- congrats on the new tool!

Flickr (external link)

imposterjeff
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 13, 2012 17:27 |  #6

ninhja wrote in post #15363558 (external link)
the 105mm CPL is freaking impressive -- congrats on the new tool!

i got it from some guy on fredmiranda for a steal i paid $250 for it the 105 and the wide hood and the 105 ring . he sanded a little on the back side of the holder portion for the hood but realized it wasnt working for him to use on his 17mm tse and abandoned it and found it all later, the cpl is brand new still

5Dmkii bge6 x2
Σ 35 ART | Σ 50 ART | Σ 85mm | 135mm f/2L
Leica m6ttl | voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 | pentax 6x7 | 105MM F2.4

minh2pac
362 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 13, 2012 21:34 |  #7

this is my list

lee foundation kit
lee 77 wide angle adapter
.9 hard grad
.9 soft grad
big stopper
square cpl
and a case hold them all together

perfect setup for me

Kevin
5d3, 7d, xe-1, om-d

B.Toews
THREAD ­ STARTER
780 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 16, 2012 11:07 |  #8

Thanks for the input everyone, I will take a look into the Lee system.

Leica M3 | Leica M4-P
Fuji X-Pro1 | XF 35/2
Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

1,323 views & 0 likes for this thread
Filter Setup for 17-40 on FF
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.