Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Dec 2012 (Thursday) 00:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Watermarking Sports photos in the corner of sold prints?

Rebel ­ Rouser
375 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 13, 2012 00:00 |  #1

Hey guys, Im just wondering if its typical to watermark prints that have been sold. I know many photographers put their watermark lightly, in an inconspicuous area to promote their product. But if someone is paying for prints, do they expect a print with no markings on them at all?

Im thinking something small with a 50% opacity in a corner somewhere is acceptable.

Thank you,
Jeremy

7D, Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX & 70-200 f2.8L

sponsored links
Yetihenry
101 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 13, 2012 00:18 |  #2

It would depend on usage, and price. With Mountainbike race photos I normally offer a 1000px longest edge, subtly watermarked digital copy for a fairly low price. The reason for this is to discourage theft for facebook, and help other racers find me. Then a full size print and option of commercial for race reports.

I rarely consider editorial as most magazines will have it covered, but you may need to build that into a pricing structure.

Here is an example of one website I sell sport photos throuh, you can see the pricing options at the top of the preview image:

http://www.rootsandrai​n.com/photos/166930 (external link)

Same photo, as I'd sell for less than a pint of beer:

http://www.pinkbike.co​m/photo/6780802/ (external link)

Fuji Xe2 | 35mm F2 | 12mm F2 | 85mm f1.8 | My bag | Gear list/References

Rebel ­ Rouser
THREAD ­ STARTER
375 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 13, 2012 14:54 |  #3

I guess my question is, if you were to sell the below print in an 8x10 for say 20 bucks to a customer, would your print have your Henry Marsh logo on the bottom left?

I suppose my post title should have said, logo rather than watermark.

Thank you,
Jeremy

Yetihenry wrote in post #15360569 (external link)
Same photo, as I'd sell for less than a pint of beer:

http://www.pinkbike.co​m/photo/6780802/ (external link)

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 13, 2012 20:32 |  #4

The only logo I include on purchased prints is the race logo, an option the client can add on for $1.50 otherwise there is no logo, especially not mine.

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

Yetihenry
101 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 13, 2012 21:43 |  #5

I've never sold a print watermarked. As I said, the reason I personally sell small jpegs cheap is Facebook, and increasing the likelihood of selling other prints. The watermarked will always be small online only deals.

Fuji Xe2 | 35mm F2 | 12mm F2 | 85mm f1.8 | My bag | Gear list/References

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,358 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 13, 2012 23:45 |  #6

Some equate a watermark as being no different than a painter adding their name to one of their paintings. I reject this premise completely. I would be extremely upset if a watermark of anyting came on a print that I had purchased (this includes places like Olan Mills, which is one reason that I haven't used them in well over two decades).

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

Rebel ­ Rouser
THREAD ­ STARTER
375 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 14, 2012 01:05 |  #7

Okay. Thanks for the inputs everyone. Like photoguy6405 said, the olan mills thing was what I was thinking of. I didnt know if it was normal to put my "name on my painting". But like you guys have said, from a customer's stand point, if I pay for a print, I probably wouldn't want a logo on it.

Anyone else put their mark on their work when its sold?

Thanks,
Jeremy

sponsored links

1,533 views & 0 likes for this thread
Watermarking Sports photos in the corner of sold prints?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.