Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Dec 2012 (Friday) 10:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70-200 2.8 II, How dark, is to dark?

guso
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 14, 2012 10:36 |  #1

Hello folks. Last night I was practicing shooting a stuffed santa and trying to get the christmas tree lights on tree, behind santa to be out of focus. Got some nice shots but had a terrible time trying to get the lens to focus on santa. I would even use a flashlight with no help. I would focus on tree with lights and it would focus. Didn't think it was too dark. Is that normal, correct?

sponsored links
Albert ­ Nam
393 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 14, 2012 10:45 |  #2

Depends on the body, the contrast of the stuffed figure, etc.

Gear
flickr (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,251 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 14, 2012 12:11 |  #3

guso wrote in post #15366182 (external link)
Hello folks. Last night I was practicing shooting a stuffed santa and trying to get the christmas tree lights on tree, behind santa to be out of focus. Got some nice shots but had a terrible time trying to get the lens to focus on santa. I would even use a flashlight with no help. I would focus on tree with lights and it would focus. Didn't think it was too dark. Is that normal, correct?

focus on something with more contrast. if you can't get that lens to focus in low light you either have a bad lens or you aren't familiar with what you are doing, and i strongly suspect the latter :D.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

warwoman
160 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 14, 2012 12:18 |  #4

ed rader wrote in post #15366524 (external link)
focus on something with more contrast. if you can't get that lens to focus in low light you either have a bad lens or you aren't familiar with what you are doing, and i strongly suspect the latter :D.

Nice,Ed!

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 14, 2012 12:40 |  #5

Camera focus system uses contrast to find focus. White on black is easy. Dark green vs Black makes it harder. Find somewhere that has contrasting colors or light and it can focus.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

guso
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 14, 2012 12:54 as a reply to  @ warwoman's post |  #6

i have a 7D, focused using spot AF. focused on the white beard, the red outfit with no luck. would press down on the shutter half way to engage the auto focus with no luck, would drag off the stuff doll and it would focus. doesn't seem to be rocket science Ed. That is why I am asking if there is a limit to how lit a room needs to be. Could be the contrast but tried focusing on white and on red with no luck and also with a flashlight lighting the subject.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 14, 2012 13:44 |  #7

Were you too close? The minimum focusing distance of that lens is about 5 feet.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Blubayou
369 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 14, 2012 14:08 |  #8

focus limit switch set to the longer value (2.5m-infinity instead of 1.2m-)?

guso
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 14, 2012 14:22 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #9

thanks Taylor. That seems to be the anwer. I was about 4 ft. away so at the limit and it did focus and objects further away. i will retry just to confirm.
thanks

guso
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 14, 2012 14:24 as a reply to  @ guso's post |  #10

thanks everyone that seems to be it.

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 14, 2012 14:56 |  #11

guso wrote in post #15366696 (external link)
i have a 7D, focused using spot AF. focused on the white beard, the red outfit with no luck. would press down on the shutter half way to engage the auto focus with no luck, would drag off the stuff doll and it would focus. doesn't seem to be rocket science Ed. That is why I am asking if there is a limit to how lit a room needs to be. Could be the contrast but tried focusing on white and on red with no luck and also with a flashlight lighting the subject.

I don't know if it is the same on that lens, but my 70-200 F4 has a setting that tells the lens how far the closest subject may be. I had my lens on 3m to infinity and man did I try to focus. Nothing helped. I was on the edge of the setting and had to set it to 1.2 meters.

It caught me once again the other day, but this time around I recognised the situation :-)

DRH

ed ­ rader
23,251 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 14, 2012 15:49 |  #12

guso wrote in post #15366696 (external link)

if you can get enough shutter speed to get an unblurred picture there's enough light, imo. but sometimes you have to change your point of focus -- that's another one of those trade-offs so common in photography.

you could have an equipment problem. do you have other lenses you can try?

5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

ed ­ rader
23,251 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 14, 2012 15:50 |  #13

guso wrote in post #15367007 (external link)
thanks Taylor. That seems to be the anwer. I was about 4 ft. away so at the limit and it did focus and objects further away. i will retry just to confirm.
thanks

ahhh....just like i was sayin' ;).

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 14, 2012 17:34 |  #14

guso wrote in post #15366182 (external link)

Since Santa is stuffed, why did you not put the camera on a tripod and focus manually with live view? Or put the camera on a tripod and focus with the lights on before turning the lights off and taking the picture?

Still subjects make this easy....take the easy way.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links

1,870 views & 0 likes for this thread
70-200 2.8 II, How dark, is to dark?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.