Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 Dec 2012 (Friday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Quick Landscape Critique

rioni
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 14, 2012 22:33 |  #1

I'm working on processing some pics from last weekend and could use some critique on my pp and composition before I process the rest. Thanks in advance.

Updated ver:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

sponsored links
jafa1020
46 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 15, 2012 00:14 |  #2

I think it looks great! Nice job!

Canon 6D....Canon 50mm 1.8 ....Canon 24 -105 F4L....Canon 70 - 200 F4L....430EX II

cpeay
Goldmember
1,077 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 15, 2012 01:35 |  #3

Good lighting, color and texture

Christian Peay
When I use a camera, I see the world in detail. - Steve Coleman

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 15, 2012 08:36 |  #4

great shot in every respect - the sharpness and good exposure really stand out.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 16, 2012 00:17 |  #5

Since saying its great etc... doesn't really help the OP aside from boosting his ego, here are some things I don't like about it:
I don't like the rocks in the foreground that stick up into the middle of the frame, they add nothing to the shot and my eye keeps going back to them which is not a good thing because the lighting on them is flat and boring. There is some great texture in the rocks down in the water, which itself is a lovely colour, and great golden light on the rocks in the mid-ground. I would have tried to position myself in front of the foreground rocks so that they wouldn't feature in the shot, and make the water and textured rocks (I'm talking about the dark coloured ones) the main subject of the image, maybe with the sunlit rocks in the mid-ground as the new background. A wider angle would be used for this new composition/framing.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 16, 2012 18:40 |  #6

Generally it is a lovely capture. I like the colors, especially the water. The sky looks a bit odd color wise.

I agree with Tom about the rocks protruding into the scene and think it would have been better without them.

I tried to bring up the shadows in the foreground a bit but seemed to lose much of the crisp, clean look of the image. If that could be done without impacting the rest of the image it would improve it I believe.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

rioni
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 16, 2012 19:30 |  #7

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've tried processing a second picture w/o the rocks in the foreground but have been having some problems with the sky in this one. How is this (minus the sky)?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 17, 2012 01:21 |  #8

I like it much better than the first, the colours are great, and there's no big block of flat grey stone drawing my attention. But now its missing the very interesting rocks that are low in the water on the right, and the tops of the stones in the lower and side of the frame make it look a bit messy.

However, I believe I didn't express myself very well in my first reply. So I have done a very poor diagram showing what I meant (this is unrelated to your 2nd photo, I'm just re-reading my first post and clarifying):

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …ntitled-4_zps136bc3db.png (external link)

(the red circle indicates the main subject/foreground interest, the arrow is roughly the direction the camera is meant to be pointing, and the weird leggy thing with a box is supposed to be a camera on a tripod)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

rioni
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 17, 2012 07:19 |  #9

Thanks Sirrith. It was impossible (without facing certain death) to get closer for the shot. It's abit hard to tell, but there was a big drop down to the water right infront of where the first shot was taken. I was ill equipped for this shoot (mainly due having only one inefficient ND filter), but will be doing things abit differently if I ever go back for a reshoot. Thanks again for the comments.

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,151 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 17, 2012 07:29 |  #10

Tenically OK from this photo.
But not enough to temp the viewers to ask 'where is' yet.
Am I asking too much?

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

revluke
438 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 21, 2012 13:15 |  #11

I'd replace the sky with some sweet sky from another photo. Give it some pop

5dIII | 70d | Rokinon 14 | 16-35 f4 IS | 40 2.8 | s50A | 70-200 2.8 IS II | 100 f2 | s120-300S | sigma 2x | 600EX-RT

Glenlivet
94 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 23, 2012 14:52 |  #12

Where did you take this?

My Flickr account (external link)
My 500px Portfolio (external link)
Google+ Inland Empire Photographers (external link)

vschapman
444 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 23, 2012 14:54 |  #13

Love the colors and textures, great shot!

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi Gripped | Canon AE-1 Program | Bronica ETRS
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II - EF 50mm f/1.8 II - EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 II - EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 III - Sigma 70-210mm f/4-5.6
- FD-EOS Adapter - Various FD Lenses - Home Darkroom

Ilovetheleafs
Raising uninteresting to new levels
907 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 23, 2012 17:41 |  #14

love the look of it, makes me want to go there and just sit watching the water. I have to ask where was it taken?

also I don't find that the rocks everyone is mentioning really detract from the photo.

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

rioni
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 24, 2012 08:34 |  #15

Thanks for the additional feedback guys. This was taken at Point Lobos near Carmel, CA.

Here is an updated version:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

sponsored links

3,257 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quick Landscape Critique
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.