Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 11 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 05:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 23, 2012 16:20 |  #1036

Save your $$ :).

http://www.43rumors.co​m …8-lens-review-at-lenstip/ (external link)

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #15248351 (external link)
And I am officially eating my hat. Very nice!

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

sponsored links
Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,149 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 23, 2012 19:45 |  #1037

I like Lenstip a lot, but they are harsh, and sometimes seem to have made their decisions before their review is written. To give 3 examples, they trash the Tamron 24-70, Samyang 24mm, and Sigma 12-24, all of which are praised by Klaus at Photozone. They also make the Pan 14mm F2.5 sound pretty weak, when it is, IMO, a really sweet little lens. They (he?) has a tendency to start with very high expectations and then plunge straight into disappointment. That said, he kind of repeated what we said a ways back, this lens would have to be pretty amazing to make people replace their 20mm 1.7s.

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 23, 2012 20:09 |  #1038

BTW Olympus has Black Friday deals...

https://www.getolympus​.com/us/en/black_frida​y?bf (external link)

Nikon/Fuji.

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 24, 2012 04:28 |  #1039

Mookalafalas wrote in post #15281242 (external link)
I like Lenstip a lot, but they are harsh, and sometimes seem to have made their decisions before their review is written. To give 3 examples, they trash the Tamron 24-70, Samyang 24mm, and Sigma 12-24, all of which are praised by Klaus at Photozone. They also make the Pan 14mm F2.5 sound pretty weak, when it is, IMO, a really sweet little lens. They (he?) has a tendency to start with very high expectations and then plunge straight into disappointment. That said, he kind of repeated what we said a ways back, this lens would have to be pretty amazing to make people replace their 20mm 1.7s.

Well, it's looking to be less than amazing--even the pro-Olympus bloggers like Pekka Potka and Robin Wong aren't so hot on the lens, qualifying their praise a lot more than usual--but I'm still considering getting it. It's 17mm with fast AF, and those two attributes are worth a lot to me. I'm just trying to figure out if the lower center sharpness compared to the 20mm will matter for my use.

Luckypenguin
612 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 25, 2012 20:42 |  #1040

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #15282380 (external link)
I'm just trying to figure out if the lower center sharpness compared to the 20mm will matter for my use.

As much as I like pixel-peeping images, and as much commentary as I've read on how "unsharp" the 17/1.8 is, it occurred to me that literally every image that I have ever printed large was taken using a zoom lens, and it's doubtful that any of them could out-resolve even the 17/1.8 on a test chart. I also wouldn't be using the 17/1.8 for close-focusing, portraits, or similar so the extra centre sharpness the 20/1.7 would be less useful.

My only reason for keeping the 20/1.7 currently is that I like it on my GH1, but I rarely use it on my E-M5 because it feels a bit clunky on an Olympus. Replacing the 20/1.7 with the 17/1.8 would create a bigger gap between it and my 25/1.4 and make it more likely to want to switch from one to the other. I'm not totally sold on the new lens just yet but I feel that the improvements in AF and the wider-angle could be more useful to me than a small loss of centre sharpness.

Nic - flickr photostream (external link)
G1X (last Canon standing)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 25, 2012 21:53 |  #1041

I took the plunge anyway. I think the 17mm-ness of it and the fast AF will add more value than the slightly less resolution subtracts for my use, so I'm going for it--put in a pre-order. We'll see how it goes.

titanaircraft
93 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 27, 2012 21:49 as a reply to  @ Yohan Pamudji's post |  #1042

Those that have shot video with the OM-D, do you notice if the on-board mic picks up the IBIS noise? Also has anyone used the SEMA-1 and noticed a difference in sound quality?

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 27, 2012 22:47 |  #1043

titanaircraft wrote in post #15298063 (external link)
Those that have shot video with the OM-D, do you notice if the on-board mic picks up the IBIS noise? Also has anyone used the SEMA-1 and noticed a difference in sound quality?

Sorry, just a casual video shooter here so I haven't scrutinized the audio and don't have the accessory mic. Maybe somebody else can chime in, but I think the consensus is that if you're serious about video over stills you should be looking at the GH2 instead. Or the GH3 now since early reports on it say that it's incredible for video.

titanaircraft
93 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 28, 2012 11:14 |  #1044

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #15298242 (external link)
Sorry, just a casual video shooter here so I haven't scrutinized the audio and don't have the accessory mic. Maybe somebody else can chime in, but I think the consensus is that if you're serious about video over stills you should be looking at the GH2 instead. Or the GH3 now since early reports on it say that it's incredible for video.

I am planning on just using it for casual videos too. In videos I've watched, there seems to be a lot of background hiss either from the mic themselves, possibly autogain, or the IBIS.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 28, 2012 11:45 |  #1045

Let's know what ya think.

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #15289263 (external link)
I took the plunge anyway. I think the 17mm-ness of it and the fast AF will add more value than the slightly less resolution subtracts for my use, so I'm going for it--put in a pre-order. We'll see how it goes.

Nikon/Fuji.

pxchoi
Goldmember
1,146 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 15, 2012 00:46 |  #1046

I can't believe it... I sold my Canon gear and now I shoot exclusively with the OMD and I have no regrets. Never thought this day would come.

Patrick Choi
Portfolio (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)
EOS 7D | 580EX II | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
For Sale: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 10-22mm f3.5-f4.5

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,149 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 15, 2012 03:37 |  #1047

pxchoi wrote in post #15368761 (external link)
I can't believe it... I sold my Canon gear and now I shoot exclusively with the OMD and I have no regrets. Never thought this day would come.

Congratulations! That's a good day, I think. For the price of a 5D3 and a 24-70 II, you can pretty much have the entire M4/3 lineup. And it will all fit in a fanny-pack:)

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 15, 2012 07:15 |  #1048

I sold a ton of gear when I got the OMD, but I found that I only use it for hanging out with the family or walking around with my wife, or whatever. For sports or paid shoots/portraits I still need the big camera.

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

Menelaus
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 15, 2012 10:43 |  #1049

titanaircraft wrote in post #15298063 (external link)

I'm not sure if what you're hearing is IBIS, but there is a ridiculous amount of white noise. I'm picking up the SEMA after Christmas if I don't get it, I'll update in the thread with some examples if you like.

stink ­ tooth
245 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 16, 2012 04:44 |  #1050

pxchoi wrote in post #15368761 (external link)

I have been considering this move as well

sponsored links

353,390 views & 2 likes for this thread
Olympus OM Micro Four Thirds camera!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.