Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Nov 2012 (Friday) 18:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 6D Owners Unite! Discuss and post Photos!

this thread is locked
ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 15, 2012 16:24 |  #406

kalina1977 wrote in post #15370805 (external link)
My first images with FF camera in Lapland- http://www.flickr.com/​photos/91058600@N02/ (external link)

Very nice, your photos make me want to go skiing! Looks like a really cool place, this Lapland.

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
jasperk99
35 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 15, 2012 17:05 |  #407

ddk632 wrote in post #15370798 (external link)
The question was about the built in flash, and my answer is I never use the built in flash because it is very harsh. The high ISO definitely makes you not need a flash in many situations, but it is no replacement for a decent external flash when shooting indoors with low light.

Thanks

Gear: Canon 6D , EF 50mm F/1.4, EF 28mm, F/1.8, EF 24-105mm F/4L IS, EF 70-300 F/4.5-5.6L, Speedlite 430EX II, Canon S100

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 15, 2012 18:24 |  #408

Sirrith wrote in post #15360175 (external link)
Has anyone tested AI servo performance with the outer points yet? I can't seem to find anything on google.

speedbug wrote in post #15362064 (external link)
from my situation, i need to know some things first. How does the af-servo accuracy with moving subject?
and the accuracy of non-center-AF-points in low light? (my concern is when shooting close up using f1.4 or so at low light weddings, where focus-recompose might lead to missfocus photo)

I tried tracking a moving person in a crowded room yesterday, and the results weren't too encouraging. Camera didn't seem to be very "smart" and didn't really try to ignore obstacles (although to be fair I didn't set it to ignore obstacles, is there even that option? I know there is in the 5DIII, and it works well)

But that was a very brief and unscientific test, and if anyone else has any experience with AI servo with centre or outer points, please share! I feel the 6D, if it had decent servo performance, would be good enough for me. But otherwise I will need to go 5DIII as I do need better AF than my current 450D.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

pawelx
389 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 15, 2012 18:50 |  #409

Has anyone tried transferring JPGs straight out of the camera and to their computer via Wi-Fi? I'm looking at the Wi-Fi Function Instruction Manual (external link) but of the 6 things that they list Wi-Fi can be used for, such as remotely controlling the camera, transferring files onto Canon's web service (not the likes of Picasa, Facebook, Flickr, etc though), viewing photos on a TV Set (?) using Media Player, etc, there doesn't seem to be an option for simply transferring files onto a PC.

Today was the first day of me playing with the 6d, and I just realized I haven't got a working SD card reader, so can't really share my results with you guys here;)
But on a more serious note - I was hoping that while on holidays, I would be able to quickly transfer those files onto say the hotel's PC, or even my Ipad, and then post them on picasa or FB. I would be shooting in RAW (large size) + JPG (smallest, or second smallest) for that, and uploading those JPGs while still on holiday... do-able with the 6D?

Canon 6D, 24-105 f/4 , 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 150-500
Lenses previously owned: 70-200 f/2.8 IS, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Tamron 18-270...

pawelx
389 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 15, 2012 18:58 |  #410

Another question related to AI Servo option. I was playing with that a bit today, using various configurations. My conclusions were
(1) AI Focus was rather useless, AI Servo much better - having now done some google searches, I guess this applies to all Canon cameras
(2) I only had luck when manually selecting center AF point only. Not much luck when all points were selected i.e. letting the camera decide for itself whereabouts in the frame the object was.
My results (using 70-200 f/2.8) lens were OK but certainly not amazing. I did forget to switch the lens's stabilization mode to 2, not sure though if that could have been a very important factor.

What are your settings for moving objects? Do you use center AF point only? Do you then follow the object exactly with the center point throughout the entire burst?

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 15, 2012 19:17 |  #411

pawelx wrote in post #15371275 (external link)
Has anyone tried transferring JPGs straight out of the camera and to their computer via Wi-Fi? I'm looking at the Wi-Fi Function Instruction Manual (external link) but of the 6 things that they list Wi-Fi can be used for, such as remotely controlling the camera, transferring files onto Canon's web service (not the likes of Picasa, Facebook, Flickr, etc though), viewing photos on a TV Set (?) using Media Player, etc, there doesn't seem to be an option for simply transferring files onto a PC.

Today was the first day of me playing with the 6d, and I just realized I haven't got a working SD card reader, so can't really share my results with you guys here;)
But on a more serious note - I was hoping that while on holidays, I would be able to quickly transfer those files onto say the hotel's PC, or even my Ipad, and then post them on picasa or FB. I would be shooting in RAW (large size) + JPG (smallest, or second smallest) for that, and uploading those JPGs while still on holiday... do-able with the 6D?

Ok so I agree that the 6 wireless functions are a bit useless except the camera remote control.

With the iPad, you can transfer JPEGs directly from camera to the iPad using the EOS Remote application. The downside I have seen is that, for some reason, they have no EXIF data intact. If you are posting to FaceBook, then it doesn't matter. But for posting to Flickr, I like to keep my EXIF data intact so I have not been using this function.

With a laptop, I haven't tried yet but I wonder if you can wirelessly tether to the camera (enable WiFi function on camera and connect to the wireless network that the camera emits) and navigate to the camera's SD card via the network. If that doesn't work, the EOS Utility would probably be able to do this. I have to confirm, you're giving me lots of homework here :mrgreen:

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

jim800
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 15, 2012 22:36 |  #412

There was a comment earlier about the outside focus points, and right now I'm not sure if I'm chasing after a bad camera or if there's something really strange with them. Shot an event last night, and didn't really pay attention to the fact that the AR point select was set to auto. Not caused a problem in any of the previous cameras I've shot with, but I'm wondering in this case. Two crops are included, both with the exact same settings and taken from just about the same distance.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

The only difference between the two images is the AF point selection. The out -of-focus image didn't select the center point and the in-focus one did. Looking through the rest of my pictures that seems to be a pretty consistent issue, and I'm wondering if it's just my camera or a problem with the 6D.

Taken at 50mm on Tamron 24-70 2.8 at 400 ISO with flash.

xinvisionx
Goldmember
1,979 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 16, 2012 00:13 |  #413

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

My name is James ~ Gear ~ Facebook Fan Page (external link)

Kentaro
422 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 16, 2012 01:10 |  #414

Kentaro wrote in post #15370813 (external link)
Anyone else having trouble importing video into Final Cut Pro?

anyone?

[6D X (17-40 // 50 // 35 // 70-200)]

Kentaro
422 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 16, 2012 01:42 |  #415

Kentaro wrote in post #15372091 (external link)
anyone?

never mind, finally got it to work.

[6D X (17-40 // 50 // 35 // 70-200)]

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,932 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Dec 16, 2012 02:31 |  #416

I picked mine up yesterday and since I am coming from a 40D I must say that I am impressed with it so far. I haven't used any of the outer focus points and to be honest I am not expecting much from them.

things I like:
the grip, it feels good in the hand and easy to hold
the SD card door is spring opened, just unlock and it opens, the 40D never did that.
the feel of the camera and the weight of the camera is nice. It still feels as nicely built as the 40D.
the buttons have a nice feedback feel to it, soft but still positive.
the AF is nice and quick and in low light it works quite well. pointed towards some parts that 40D would have troubles but this thing gets focus lock.
the LCD on the back is nice and good to look at.

things that I am getting used to
the settings, things have changed not in location but in the way they say it. Something simple like turning on ISO expansion isn't called that any more.
Selection of the AF points, I have a button for that but it didn't do what I expected it to. I haven't read the manual yet to see what it means.

things I don't like
have to get a new cokin filter set as the current one isn't the best for 17mm
so much to learn, nothing seems to be layed out as good as I would expect. I don't think the canon menu is as good as it was on the 40D. But that might just be me trying to get used to it.

I tried some video today and that confuses me some what. I would have expected a tab in the menu for video options, like fps and format etc. but you have to press Q to get these options up.

But really still trying to learn where everything is.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

pawelx
389 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 16, 2012 06:36 |  #417

theflyingkiwi wrote in post #15372197 (external link)
things that I am getting used to
the settings, things have changed not in location but in the way they say it. Something simple like turning on ISO expansion isn't called that any more.
Selection of the AF points, I have a button for that but it didn't do what I expected it to. I haven't read the manual yet to see what it means.

things I don't like

so much to learn, nothing seems to be layed out as good as I would expect. I don't think the canon menu is as good as it was on the 40D. But that might just be me trying to get used to it.

But really still trying to learn where everything is.

I agree - coming from 50D, I too am finding the menu a bit confusing. Haven't even tried with the video yet, but AF point selection is confusing. I worked it out like this(it's not described in the paper manual that comes with the camera, which apparently is an abridged version - full manual is only on the internet in PDF form (external link) - please see top of page 95), if anyone disagrees please let me know! On top display, SEL + AF and SEL + [] are the same modes i.e. manual selection of a single AF point. The difference being, centre point is treated differently, so when selecting it, mode goes from SEL + AF to SEL+[]. Also when moving the arrows / wheels outside of the points grid, mode goes to [] + AF which means handing over point selection to the camera.

I really liked the way in my 50D I could use the wheel to scroll through the 9 (? I don't remember) points, rather than using two wheels or arrow buttons to navigate left/right and up/down. Also the magnification function in preview, it was done much better in 50D, but this I think has already been commented multiple times on this forum. I had 5D mk3 for a day and zooming in/out uses the same very confusing method as 6D.

Staying with AF points topic, someone earlier asked about off-center points. I certainly didn't find this issue i.e. when manually selecting an off-center point, and carefully composing a static frame with shallow DOF (was shooting 50mm @ f/1.4), AF was very accurate.
Using the []+AF option i.e. letting the camera decide which AF points to use, was a totally different story, and completely useless in AI Servo mode, IMO.

pawelx
389 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 16, 2012 06:44 |  #418

jim800 wrote in post #15371780 (external link)
There was a comment earlier about the outside focus points, and right now I'm not sure if I'm chasing after a bad camera or if there's something really strange with them. Shot an event last night, and didn't really pay attention to the fact that the AR point select was set to auto. Not caused a problem in any of the previous cameras I've shot with, but I'm wondering in this case. Two crops are included, both with the exact same settings and taken from just about the same distance.
The only difference between the two images is the AF point selection. The out -of-focus image didn't select the center point and the in-focus one did. Looking through the rest of my pictures that seems to be a pretty consistent issue, and I'm wondering if it's just my camera or a problem with the 6D.

Taken at 50mm on Tamron 24-70 2.8 at 400 ISO with flash.

I don't want to suggest the obvious, but in which mode where you shooting these?
Was it SEL + AF by any chance? Because this is what was happening to me yesterday, before I went on the internet and figured it out. SEL + AF isn't, as one might think, automatic selection of AF points by the camera. That would be [] + AF. SEL + AF means you manually choose one AF point to use, and it's not the centre point. I kept on shooting and wondering why the hell was the camera always choosing this one specific off-centre point, I even tried taking a photo of a small black book lying on a perfectly white table, and the camera "kept on choosing" the wrong AF point for it. The thing was, it wasn't the camera choosing the wrong AF point, it was me having chosen that point earlier.

Very confusing IMO, and further compounded by the fact that the paper manual coming in the box with the camera doesn't describe it.

Massif ­ Central
31 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 16, 2012 08:21 as a reply to  @ pawelx's post |  #419

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img543/6944/img1134dm.jpg

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img9/224/img1283sz.jpg

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img22/4927/img1307yv.jpg

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img23/9670/img1332k.jpg

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img837/8098/img1357k.jpg

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img405/5773/img1372f.jpg

punkerz123
328 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 16, 2012 08:34 |  #420

xinvisionx wrote in post #15371985 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

[IMG]http://ravaged.gibhut.​com/6D/IMG_0920_post.j​pg[IMG] (external link)

[IMG]http://ravaged.gibhut.​com/6D/IMG_0938_e_post​.jpg[IMG] (external link)

Who needs DXO ratings!?? Great picture with excellent dynamic range here

Olympus OM-D E-M5 | 25mm f/1.4
Feedback

sponsored links

2,939,975 views & 3 likes for this thread
-= 6D Owners Unite! Discuss and post Photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.