Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 10 Dec 2012 (Monday) 23:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Attempts at HDR, Please Help

ssick92
35 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 10, 2012 23:40 |  #1

Hey everyone,

So I finally edited together my first batch of HDR photos. Overall, I know I need work. I can't figure out whether to do natural HDR, surreal HDR, or a combo of both.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I did to each besides stack in Photomatix Pro 4.2.4 and did some exposure, contrast, and color editing in Photoshop CS5.5.

Overall, I know I am a beginner, but these are just my results of messing around with a bunch of sliders which I don't know exactly what they do... Please give advice, in noob terms if at all possible :D

Also, completely irrelevant, but do you guys like a black border around photos or no? The only reason I have them is so I can crop my photos however I want but they will remain on a constant size canvas for printing.

IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5e14rNWFsvA/UMbF2tdSmeI/AAAAAAAAA6U/GzWze2dfOuE/s1046/Tunnel+HDR.jpg

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ne0nU1X4mxo/UMbF5WxAA-I/AAAAAAAAA6c/9QIUj53NEw8/s1046/Trail+HDR.jpg

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-TFHO90y4FdY/UMbF777b5-I/AAAAAAAAA6k/72Y2S3lZhx0/s1046/Park+HDR.jpg

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-MsHec15P0cE/UMbF-Sgdz_I/AAAAAAAAA6s/MtskgyTg-IE/s1046/Graffiti+HDR.jpg

Canon EOS Rebel T3i - 18-55mm kit lens - Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
---Check out my other photos (external link)---

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
21,266 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Dec 10, 2012 23:47 |  #2

First welcome to POTN.:)

These are very nice compositions but I'm not sure that HDR is really needed here, except maybe the tunnel shot...Good job keeping the colors more or less realistic though.

Mark

ssick92
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 11, 2012 00:41 |  #3

rrblint wrote in post #15351818 (external link)
First welcome to POTN.:)

These are very nice compositions but I'm not sure that HDR is really needed here, except maybe the tunnel shot...Good job keeping the colors more or less realistic though.

That is exactly what I was thinking also. But then I also see some shots on here where I didn't think HDR was necessary, but those same shots are people's favorites, so I basically just did it anyway...

Obviously, as I get better with Photomatix + Photoshop + Photography, I will get better results. But mainly, I am going to try and find some more HDR worthy scenes in the next few days to continue working on it with better photos. Also, now that I recently got a tripod I can get even better shots :D

And as for the colors, I tried keeping them pretty realistic except for the one at the park. The sky was not nearly that blue, and the grass not nearly that green, but I was going for a more surreal, saturated feel for that one.

Thanks for your response. I can tell I'm going to learn a lot here on POTN and probably get in way over my head, but that is what learning is all about :D

Canon EOS Rebel T3i - 18-55mm kit lens - Tamron 75-300 f/4-5.6 - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Bsmooth
861 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 11, 2012 13:47 as a reply to  @ ssick92's post |  #4

If one uses Photamatix you need to cut back on yellows, its just the nature of the beats so to speak.
Also may want to look into Lumiosity masks at some point in the future, they can help with that "flat" look that HDR images sometimes have, great site for that here: http://www.goodlight.u​s/writing/tutorials.ht​ml (external link).
I know your learning a lot , so this is for future reference only, but there very helpful.
So get in over your head and have some fun !

Bruce

ssick92
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 11, 2012 16:18 |  #5

Bsmooth wrote in post #15353990 (external link)
If one uses Photamatix you need to cut back on yellows, its just the nature of the beats so to speak.
Also may want to look into Lumiosity masks at some point in the future, they can help with that "flat" look that HDR images sometimes have, great site for that here: http://www.goodlight.u​s/writing/tutorials.ht​ml (external link).
I know your learning a lot , so this is for future reference only, but there very helpful.
So get in over your head and have some fun !

Cool, thanks for the link! I'll definitely start poking around there.

ssick92
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 11, 2012 23:32 |  #6

Here is my newest attempt. Colors are a little surreal but not as far off as you might think. At least it is a shot that needs HDR:

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nnE24HVcAKc/UMgWxU5ijvI/AAAAAAAAA7M/EbZPnlwIdUg/s1046/Front+Yard+HDR.jpg

rrblint
21,266 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 12, 2012 00:24 as a reply to  @ ssick92's post |  #7

This is a definite improvement:)...You have a very good eye for composition.

There is some haloing around the trees on the left, but I like the surreal quality of this one.

Mark

Bsmooth
861 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 12, 2012 09:08 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #8

Sometime you may want to process 2 while tonemapping, one for the details, and another for the sky, and blend them, that way you get a great looking sky and great details as well.

Bruce

ssick92
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 12, 2012 14:20 |  #9

Bsmooth wrote in post #15357249 (external link)
Sometime you may want to process 2 while tonemapping, one for the details, and another for the sky, and blend them, that way you get a great looking sky and great details as well.

Never thought about layering 2 "different" HDR photos. I will have to try that because the sky in my last one definitely looks weird to me... Thanks for the suggestion!

shutterbugcrazy
458 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 15, 2012 21:22 |  #10

I think the first one could use a boost of color and a small (very small) bit of lab color sharpening on the lightness tab

https://www.facebook.c​om …otography/36095​6144097830 (external link)

ssick92
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 16, 2012 02:18 |  #11

I was doing a night timelapse and decided I would shoot an HDR photo as well. This is the HDR that resulted. This was taken at about 12:00am. The highest exposure shot was taken with a bulb timer of 45 seconds, and I still couldn't really get the dark areas the get any detail and I didn't want to bump the ISO past 800.

I am actually fairly happy with the result. Once again I don't think it is true HDR but the high exposures helped get some extra detail in there:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Bridlewood Park (external link) by JHelmuthPhoto (external link), on Flickr

ssick92
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 17, 2012 02:58 |  #12

Here is my recent attempt at an HDR photo. I was going for as realistic as possible with this one. I like the result I just wish the clouds would have given me a little more to work with...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

All Natural (external link) by JHelmuthPhoto (external link), on Flickr

rrblint
21,266 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 17, 2012 07:19 |  #13

Like this one John.

Mark

Bsmooth
861 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 17, 2012 08:34 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #14

Nailed this one John, and the clouds look good.
Look at it this way, you'll have lots more opportunities right ?

Bruce

Bruce

ssick92
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 18, 2012 05:31 |  #15

Thanks Mark and Bruce, it feels good to be able to noticeably see improvement in only a couple short weeks. And yes, there will be tons more opportunities :D

sponsored links

2,739 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Attempts at HDR, Please Help
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.