Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 07:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 60D or 7D?

kinpachi
104 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 16, 2012 07:29 |  #1

Hello Everyone, I currently have a canon 500D camera, and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 60D or 7D, I mainly shoot portraits, and might start doing some videos. I'm not really sure which one to choose, the 60D would save me a lot of money that I could use in buying new equipment, but I've seen many people saying that it's not good. So, what do you guys think?. And I said before, I mainly shoot portraits, I'm not into cars/sports and these stuff. :)

Canon 70D / Canon 500D ( T1i ) / Sigma 30mm f/1.4 / 18~55 mm STM / 55~250 mm IS
Flicker : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/93035868@N03/ (external link)

sponsored links
kinpachi
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 16, 2012 07:30 |  #2

Canon 60D or 7D?

Hello Everyone, I currently have a canon 500D camera, and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 60D or 7D, I mainly shoot portraits, and might start doing some videos. I'm not really sure which one to choose, the 60D would save me a lot of money that I could use in buying new equipment, but I've seen many people saying that it's not good. So, what do you guys think?. And as I said before, I mainly shoot portraits, I'm not into cars/sports and these stuff. :)

learncanon
172 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 16, 2012 07:48 as a reply to  @ kinpachi's post |  #3

When you are unsure, or do not have a concrete reason to upgrade, my advice to you is that you don't need to. However, if you love collecting cameras and lenses more than creating photographs, both are good. The content/subject in a photograph must have connection to viewer. 7D/60D cant give u that.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,305 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 16, 2012 07:48 as a reply to  @ kinpachi's post |  #4

60D/7D image quality = identical. For me, two main features separate the two. The AF in the 7D is far superior to the 60D and the 7D had micro-focus adjustments which allows you to fine tune the lens perfectly to the body. The 60D in return has a flip out screen which is nice. There are a lot of other improvements such as faster frames per second on the 7D but for portraiture, that's rather meaningless.
However, looking over your lenses you might conciser upgrading those first as the 60D or 7D is not going to buy you much in image improvement as the 550D uses the same sensor. All three share the same sensor. What about getting a 50mm f/1.4 or the 85mm f/1.8, or both? Those two lenses will do much more improving your images than the additional features of either the 60D or 7D.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

kinpachi
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 16, 2012 07:52 |  #5

gjl711 wrote in post #15372575 (external link)
60D/7D image quality = identical. For me, two main features separate the two. The AF in the 7D is far superior to the 60D and the 7D had micro-focus adjustments which allows you to fine tune the lens perfectly to the body. The 60D in return has a flip out screen which is nice. There are a lot of other improvements such as faster frames per second on the 7D but for portraiture, that's rather meaningless.
However, looking over your lenses you might conciser upgrading those first as the 60D or 7D is not going to buy you much in image improvement as the 550D uses the same sensor. All three share the same sensor. What about getting a 50mm f/1.4 or the 85mm f/1.8, or both? Those two lenses will do much more improving your images than the additional features of either the 60D or 7D.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, if I buy the 60D i'll be able to get the 50mm f/1.4, but if I get the 7D there'll be a budget issue.

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 16, 2012 07:52 as a reply to  @ kinpachi's post |  #6

I was facing the same decision as you 60D or 7D. I went with the 60D and I am in love with it. It allows me to advance my technical photography skills while still being a user friendly camera.

My Flickr account to check out some of my 60D shots.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/55056358@N04/ (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 16, 2012 08:00 |  #7

What about the T4i?

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,305 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 16, 2012 08:05 as a reply to  @ kinpachi's post |  #8

It seems to me that the only reason to upgrade from a 550D to a 60D is for ergonomics or the few additional features none of which will help much in portraiture. They are basically the same camera. They share the same sensor, they share most of the same features in short, a photo taken with a 550D and a 60D will be indistinguishable from one another. That's why learncanon suggested figuring out first what it is your looking for before jumping. If you want a bigger body or less digits, upgrade. If you want to improve the look of the images, a body upgrade will not do that for you. Get some better lenses instead.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 16, 2012 08:22 |  #9

kinpachi wrote in post #15372544 (external link)
the 60D would save me a lot of money that I could use in buying new equipment, but I've seen many people saying that it's not good.

Do any of these people have a) some experience using the camera, or b) a brain?

If you're not going to be shooting things what move around a lot (sports or wildlife) then there's very little advantage to getting the 7D. Get the 60D and put the money saved to some nice glass.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 16, 2012 08:22 as a reply to  @ kinpachi's post |  #10

Has any of you all used the t1i ? While it might not make a difference is certain aspects of photography- the t1i is still a dated design- in that it does not have off camera flash capabilities- and the video options are limited by today's designs.. Not only that- If I remember right- it has no mic connector unless you hack your own- so, yes, an upgrade might help in other aspects.. The latest rounds of each- the 60D, 7D and even the T4i sport all cross type AF points- and are better to some degree in lower light--- definitely better at the outer AF points... If you are interested in taking video- you will certainly want an external mic unless you plan on replacing the sound with music or your own narration.

The 60D might make composition easier- with that swivel screen. The 7D has a more robust body- and a slightly better wireless flash system (can control 3 groups of flash.. ). video wise- not a lot of difference, I would think. Both are certainly an upgrade in the AF department- but you state that you aren't into sports / cars yet... OK- I added yet- because that might change...

If you are on a budget- the other option you should consider is the t4i... IMO, it will do everything that the 60D will- with most of the 60D's capabilities and feature set- in a more compact Rebel format. Most of its enhancements are video related; I think you'd be remiss if you didn't give it a look over of its features...

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,262 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 16, 2012 08:32 as a reply to  @ kinpachi's post |  #11

the 60D would save me a lot of money that I could use in buying new equipment, but I've seen many people saying that it's not good.

With virtually anything, if you ask for opinions you will likely get both sides. Having said that I suspect that the positive comments about the 60D far out weight the negative. I consider myself a serious amateur, own a 60D and can state it has never failed to live up to my expectations.

Go to a store, pick both of them up, play bit with each, then move forward based on what you like/dislike.

Franz-Olof
74 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 16, 2012 08:51 as a reply to  @ kinpachi's post |  #12

I had a 60d. My friend had a 7d. I wanted his weather sealement and micro adjustment. It made a (big?) difference in our shootings. Both are good cameras.

5Dmkiii ⎟16-35Lii ⎟24-70Lii ⎟50/1.8ii ⎟∑85⎟100-400L⎟Nissin Di866ii
my photo site (external link)

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 16, 2012 08:58 as a reply to  @ kinpachi's post |  #13

I would go the 60d in your position. Does the 500d not do video, i thought it did. Why not buy the lens first and you may find after that the lens upgrade is enough. As for flash control triggers are cheaper than a camera upgrade if this is an issue

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

firefighter4u
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 16, 2012 10:27 |  #14

if you have your mind set on buying a new body then get the 60d and lens. The features on the 7d most likely will not help you for the type of shooting you described.

7D; 450D; Canon 50 1.4; 70-200 2.8L II; Tamron 17-50 2.8; Tamron 18-270 VC; Genesis 200; 430EX; YN 560II
Please support breast cancer research

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 16, 2012 10:57 |  #15

gjl711 wrote in post #15372575 (external link)

Very well said.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

sponsored links

4,112 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 60D or 7D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.