Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 16 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 19:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

(C&c) "Nathan"

fourtweinty
31 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 16, 2012 19:17 |  #1

Hello! I am new in photography and practicing in portrait shots.
comments for each photo will much appreciated. thank you!

T4i (50mm f1.8)
ISO 800, f1.8, 1/40

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

Canon 650D /w BG-E8 Grip | Samoca 35 LE | EF-S 18-135mm STM | EF 50mm 1.8 | Nissin Di622 MkII | Yongnuo Rf-603c

Nu2this
50 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Location: Currently in south Louisiana but getting back to Texas as soon as possible

Dec 16, 2012 19:58 |  #2

I'm not a portrait photographer so may be a little off target but here is what I see.

If these were true portraits (controlled set up, supplemental lighting, etc.) I would say they missed their mark, but only by a little.

In the b&w there is no catch light in his eyes, which would have made a lot of difference. The background is a little distracting with the bar coming out of the side of his head. I like the amount of light on his face, and the exposure is well done. The crop is good, and having him just off center works very well (I struggle with that a lot in my photos).

In the second photo the expression is awesome. You managed to get a little light in his eyes, intentionally or not. Having a little more light on his face would change it from good to very, very good. The lady in the background takes a lot away from this photo. The architectrical features in the background aren't as bothersome as in the first one. The collar on the left shoulder and the numbers on the hat are a little soft, a couple of more inches of DOF would maybe be better. That point sometimes gets down to personal preference so may not be a problem for many people, and I find it only mildly so.

Overall these are two very good photos and you seem to have a good eye for composition. You are already ahead of my abilities in portraits, I would be very excited to have taken either of these. My knack seems to be more in landscapes and I just can't get a handle on portraits.

Kevin
Canon 5D MII
Canon 24-70 2.8L, Canon 70-200 2.8L,
Canon 580 EX II

fourtweinty
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 16, 2012 20:18 |  #3

@Nu2this; hello! thank you for the comments! I started photography 3weeks ago when I first had my Camera. I'll adjust those things on my next shots! thank you! :)

Canon 650D /w BG-E8 Grip | Samoca 35 LE | EF-S 18-135mm STM | EF 50mm 1.8 | Nissin Di622 MkII | Yongnuo Rf-603c

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 17, 2012 08:30 |  #4

IMO, need more light on the face in both, and they seem very soft...

Roamingbull
628 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 21, 2012 23:46 |  #5

I would say you have two issues. In my humble opinion I think (for a portrait shot) your composition is your biggest issue in both images. In the first one, I think he was a bit stiff, and not very natural. The second shot you had way too much inappropriate distraction in the back, and it was cropped way too tight. Unless the activity in the background correlates with what you’re trying to achieve, I would keep it as still as possible and keep people, especially with their back turned to you, out of it. This image would have been very different had it had a still background, or an active background that fit the pose of the subject, which was actually very well done. Had you had that, you would not have had to crop so much, and the background would have worked for you instead of against you. Second, in that image particular, fill light would really have helped out both of these. The first one, I can see where some shadow would work, but for the second one, you had way too much shadow on his face.

This would be my two cents,

Why don't you take a picture, it will last longer....
My web site is Eternal Reflections (external link)
Gear List: Got lots of good stuff of my own, and I use Borrow Lens.com for the rest.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

764 views & 0 likes for this thread
(C&c) "Nathan"
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.