Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Dec 2012 (Monday) 12:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens opinion help, please.

CrowMagnumMan
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 17, 2012 12:18 |  #1

Hi folks...first post. A little about myself. I am an avid photographer, have loved taking pictures all my life, who recently went from a point and shoot (a super zoom which I loved) to a DSLR. I went with the Canon T2i (based on it's excellent reviews) with the 18-55mm kit lens. I also bought the Nifty Fifty and 55-250mm to go along with it. I have loved getting to know my camera although I shoot everything in auto or scene mode. I have registered in a photography class and ordered 2 yrs worth of the magazine Popular Photography to learn more about how I can get the most out of my camera. I have decided to upgrade to a Canon 60D (I know, they have the same sensors) with an 18-200 lens because the camera fits in my hand better (no, like a dummy, I did not handle the T2i before buying, I just went off of reviews, but held the 60D at Best Buy), has a bit better AF, and is a little "newer" camera. I know for certain that I would like to do this semi-professionally eventually taking senior portraits, maybe a wedding here and there, and shooting some sports (inside and out). I have read and read the reviews and I am more confused now more than ever. I am spent and don't know what to get! I know there is no one perfect lens and am willing to get several for each situation. That is where I need help. Can you please offer your suggestions concerning lens for my requirements. I am looking for a good walkaround lens, for outside pictures, landscapes, etc. (which is why I got the 18-200) as well as a good portrait lens for inside and out (I would prefer a zoom and have read the 17-55 or 24-105Lwould be great for all of these things) but also know I will need a prime lens, while also reading the 70-200 would be good. There are several versions however. I would think I would want one with IS. A lens for shooting my kids and taking pictures around the house (again, I am thinking 17-55), a macro lens (as I know I will get into it and heard the 100mm F2.8 would be great), and a good sports lens. I recently shot my daughter's volleyball games with the 55-250 and was pleasantly surprised with how good the pics came out but know there must be better lenses out there. The lighting was not the best in the gyms I shot. I do want to shoot football and baseball too. I am not looking to spend 2K on a lens, but, I am willing to spend half of that or a bit more. I think for right now, a good walkaround lens, that is good for landscape and inside pictures, as well as portraits, would be a good first start. But, I would like to hear your thoughts on a good prime for portraits, a good wedding lens, a good macro lens, and a good sports lens. Any lens that can do double duty for all of these, obviously, would be aces. Thank you so much! I look forward to contributing to the forum and asking lots of questions!

sponsored links
joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 17, 2012 12:25 |  #2

Paragraphs please.

Joel

skycolt
410 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 17, 2012 12:32 |  #3

Try some 70-200mm f/2.8

1D IV | converted 1000D | ever changing lenses
Flickr (external link)

CrowMagnumMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 17, 2012 12:42 |  #4

Wow. Nevermind. Thanks for your advice.

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 17, 2012 12:43 |  #5

Summary:

Just bought a T2i.

Now wants a 60D.

Has some lenses (18-55, 55-250 and 50f/1.8)

Wants different lenses.

Wants the impossible "do it all zoom". Or 17-55. Or 24-105. Or 70-200. Or 18-200.

Plans to shoot portraits, kids playing sports, macro.

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,354 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 17, 2012 12:44 |  #6

CrowMagnumMan wrote in post #15377442 (external link)
Wow. Nevermind. Thanks for your advice.

You'll get some advice. Just give us a chance to catch our breath ;)

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

CrowMagnumMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 17, 2012 12:45 |  #7

Hi folks...first post. A little about myself. I am an avid photographer, have loved taking pictures all my life, who recently went from a point and shoot (a super zoom which I loved) to a DSLR. I went with the Canon T2i (based on it's excellent reviews) with the 18-55mm kit lens. I also bought the Nifty Fifty and 55-250mm to go along with it. I have registered in a photography class and ordered 2 yrs worth of the magazine Popular Photography to learn more about how I can get the most out of my camera.

That's 5 lines. Comprehension of those on this forum is sad. Oh well. Looks like I made the wrong choice to post here. Farewell.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,156 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 17, 2012 12:48 |  #8

CrowMagnumMan wrote in post #15377461 (external link)
Hi folks...first post. A little about myself. I am an avid photographer, have loved taking pictures all my life, who recently went from a point and shoot (a super zoom which I loved) to a DSLR. I went with the Canon T2i (based on it's excellent reviews) with the 18-55mm kit lens. I also bought the Nifty Fifty and 55-250mm to go along with it. I have registered in a photography class and ordered 2 yrs worth of the magazine Popular Photography to learn more about how I can get the most out of my camera.

That's 5 lines. Comprehension of those on this forum is sad. Oh well. Looks like I made the wrong choice to post here. Farewell.

Comprehension is fine, tolerance of bad writing is less. A bit of advice, use your current camera until you find its limitations, then worry about upgrading.

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,354 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 17, 2012 12:49 |  #9

Ok. First bit of advice:

Lighten up

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 17, 2012 12:50 |  #10

OP... much like your first post, I think you need to slow down with your camera wants.

Take some time to do some shooting, and figure out what you NEED.

I managed to catch the words that you are thinking of doing this "semi-professionally." Let's throw the brakes on that one for a while. Let's say at least 3-5 years. Don't expect photography to be a hobby that pays you. Expect it to be a labor of love, and a long road to travel. It doesn't happen overnight, and given that you're still in auto mode, you have a long way to go.

My advice would be to spend some time with what you have. Learn the camera well. Learn what your lenses are capable of. Learn their weaknesses. Read some actual photography books. Popular Photography magazine is more centered for gear-heads than people who want to learn their craft. Out of a 120 page issue, it's 50 pages of ads, 40 pages of product reviews, 20 pages of software/processing and 5 pages of user submitted photos, 1 page from the editor, which leaves 4 pages of other usable content.

Learn the basics. Read "Understanding Exposure". Then, move on to specific books that pertain to your interests. Then go back to "Understanding Exposure".

There's a lot to learn on this forum, but don't expect to be coddled.

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 17, 2012 12:55 |  #11

va_rider wrote in post #15377485 (external link)
OP... much like your first post, I think you need to slow down with your camera wants.

Take some time to do some shooting, and figure out what you NEED.

I managed to catch the words that you are thinking of doing this "semi-professionally." Let's throw the brakes on that one for a while. Let's say at least 3-5 years. Don't expect photography to be a hobby that pays you. Expect it to be a labor of love, and a long road to travel. It doesn't happen overnight, and given that you're still in auto mode, you have a long way to go.

My advice would be to spend some time with what you have. Learn the camera well. Learn what your lenses are capable of. Learn their weaknesses. Read some actual photography books. Popular Photography magazine is more centered for gear-heads than people who want to learn their craft. Out of a 120 page issue, it's 50 pages of ads, 40 pages of product reviews, 20 pages of software/processing and 5 pages of user submitted photos, 1 page from the editor, which leaves 4 pages of other usable content.

Learn the basics. Read "Understanding Exposure". Then, move on to specific books that pertain to your interests. Then go back to "Understanding Exposure".

There's a lot to learn on this forum, but don't expect to be coddled.

Everything said here is true.

Joel

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 17, 2012 12:58 as a reply to  @ CrowMagnumMan's post |  #12

You might want to look at getting a 24-105L as it is a really goo dall ronder lens and it would give you something to use on a "walk around" basis. Some people think that at f4 it is too slow so you could also consider the 24-70 2.8 to get an extra stop of light. With either of these lenses on a crop bosy you are going to want something that allows you to deal with the wide end better. The 10-22 would be an excellent choice as it is really highly regarded but the Tokina 11-16 is a very nice lens as well. I have one. You are going to need to focus a bit and decide what you need your camera to do. There is no such thing as a lens that gives you a huge focal range, fast aperture to freeze action and good image quality. You need to start building your lens collection based on what you need. Along with a couple of high quality zooms (as described above) you will probably also want to consider a few primes. These tend to be faster and sharper than zooms (in general) and can give you extremely high image quality. The "nifty 50" 50mm f1.8 is super cheap (in price and construction quality) but it would be a great starting point to figure out what you need as far as primes go. Some of them get pretty pricey fast. If you are going to be doing this semi-professionally it meand that you are going to be charging money. That means that you can justify expensive lenses but it also means that you have to produce the quality that the customer demands and deserves. Those meant that you will need to carefully consider what will be the best tool for the job. As above, there is no such thing as the perfect all-round lens (or camera for that matter).Ultimately I would strongly advise that you focus on what you need. Don't sweat the details too much, just buy high quality equipment. 99% of your results will depend on your abilities and skills. The camera/lens just facilitate things (in general). Go spend some time at some photog classes but don't fall into the "gear envy" trap that folks in those things tend to be in. Focus on producing great images. If someone tells you that the way to get this image is to buy xyz piece of gear, forget about them. The way to take great photos is to learn to see. Also, I'd personally cancel the magazine subscription. You can find 100x as much information for free online (for example just by browsing topics around here) than you'd get in a year of magazine articles. Use the money for gear, classes and to get you out shooting pictures.

Good luck

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

CrowMagnumMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 17, 2012 13:01 |  #13

gonzogolf wrote in post #15377475 (external link)
Comprehension is fine, tolerance of bad writing is less. A bit of advice, use your current camera until you find its limitations, then worry about upgrading.

Not a misspelled word, excellent comma usage, and definitely understandable. I do not put threads on the internet in paragraph form. If you can not understand that post, or, think the writing is horrible, you have no clue.

To the others, thank you. However, I did say I have to learn the camera more which is why I enrolled in a class AND that I am sure I want to advance more into this and I was just looking for suggestions about my questions.

No one needs to coddle me.

Great welcome. Thanks to the others who actually offered sound advice.

fashionrider
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 17, 2012 13:01 |  #14

FYI, you can get tons of help from here. Most of the posters go through multiple threads and provide advice. That means, we don't have time to read 500+ words for each thread. I too normally wouldn't bother reading the entire post but went through the replies instead. But I did go back and read the entire thing.

Here's some advice for me. For portraits, kids, landscapes, you don't exactly need $2000 lens. However for weddings, you'll need top of the line gear. Weddings are ridiculously dim and you'll need the fast lens.

For your budget, I suggest the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Mark 1 (Used, can cost you a little over $1000. The Mark 2 goes for $2000+). I have the Mark 2, and I use it for everything. Portraits, weddings, sports, etc. It is very versatile.

Walk around general lens, the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L (mark 1 or 2) is very good. However, Tamron's 24-70mm with VC (same as IS) is a good competitor at $1300. Canon doesn't have IS.

Get those 2 lens, cost less than $2500 and you got a very good range covered. You'll probably want a really fast lens afterwards which at that point, I would recommend the 85mm f1.2L, or 135mm f2L. Either of those 2 will demolish anything for portraits.

GOOD LUCK!

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 17, 2012 13:01 |  #15

First a subject line in all capitals.

Then a long post with zero use of carriage return to create paragraphs.

Then you think we have comprehension problems.

That isn't the best start possible for your life on the net.

It really helps to spend that little extra time to present your case in a good way - and the enter key is just as important as the use of punctuation. Why? Because it greatly affects how many forum visitors that will bother to read what you have written.

It's no different from writing a book. A book that starts too badly results in people throwing it away without ever finding the potential treasures later on in the book.

And don't ever try the route of rubbing forum members the wrong way if you aren't happy with answers. It is an excellent way to further kill good answers before they reach you.

That initial post of yours could incite a revolt on almost any web forum. In this case, you met friendly people who pointed out the issues with the post instead of slamming you. You will not have any troubles finding 100 photo forums where people would react much, much worse. Or totally ignore the thread.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links

3,744 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens opinion help, please.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.