Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 17 Dec 2012 (Monday) 11:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sunset - Tips?

johnmisth1971
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 17, 2012 11:18 |  #1

Hi Guys,

I've always had trouble with shooting sunsets. Below are a couple of shots:

Tenerife, Canary Islands

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1217.photobuck​et.com …/IMG_2599_zpsb3​304229.jpg (external link)

What do i think i should have done to have got a better picture? The sun did not appear as a circle but rather as a big light source... In my opinion, if i was able to get a circular sun, the picture would have been much nicer... Any tips?

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1217.photobuck​et.com …/IMG_1628_zps69​ecb012.jpg (external link)

This picture is just dull... Looking at that sunset in real life was spectacular, but having it in a picture didnt give the same impact. Any ideas or tips.

Thanks in advance!

JS

James33
568 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 17, 2012 13:08 |  #2

Cameras don't have the same ability as the eye to capture all the light from brightest to darkest in one shot. In the 2nd you are shooting at a smaller aperture (I would think - didn't check exif data) and/or faster shutter speed than the first. It allows less light into the camera giving you a rounder sun but less light everywhere else. Metering for the foreground will blow out the sun into a larger blob as more light is hitting the sensor. To get the best of both worlds you need to bracket your shots by using a tripod and setting the aperture you want (f11 or 16 for landscape) and adjusting your shutter speed. You then combine these in post.

Also - #1 would be better with a level horizon.

www.jamesparkerphoto.c​om (external link)

Nu2this
50 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Location: Currently in south Louisiana but getting back to Texas as soon as possible

Dec 17, 2012 13:14 as a reply to  @ James33's post |  #3

Do some research on using neutral density and graduated neutral density filters, you will be able to tone down the sun while captureing the foreground in the correct exposure, essentially balancing the two. The other option is to blend multiple images as suggested.

Kevin
Canon 5D MII
Canon 24-70 2.8L, Canon 70-200 2.8L,
Canon 580 EX II

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,464 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 19, 2012 12:40 |  #4

Everyone shoots sunsets at one point...I do still. :-) They're tough to balance though. As mentioned above, bracket a few shots and layer them in photoshop later, or what I do sometimes is spot meter on a part of the sky that I want to make sure is correctly exposed and once I get that exposure I frame the shot and fire off a frame. Here's what I mean (definately not the best out there but I'm want to show you what I mean): (sorry for hijacking with one of my photos)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

I spot metered the sky above the "A" of my watermark where the blue starts transitioning to orange right below that almost horizontal contrail. One shot, since I didn't have my tripod with me. A little work in Lightroom to bring back a little detial in the foreground, a little shift to the right of the vibrance slider to bring out the colors in the sky a bit more to what it really looked like to my eyes and that was that....other than cropping. I was happy with the end result. Shot it with my Rebel XSi and Tamron 10-24mm @ f/11 and 24mm.

This typically requires patience though and the "right" sky for it. In both of your examples the sunset is....well....not that spectacular. There are clouds in the first (clouds are typically a good thing for sunsets because they make for some nice colors and patterns in the sky during that time) but the sky is only about 10% of the photo. In the 2nd, again there's a few stringy clouds but the sky isn't very dramatic. It may have been to your eyes, but remember as James said...a camera is not capable of seeing a range of light the same as our eye. I don't think there is yet to be a camera, or ever will be for that matter, that will match the dynamic range of our eyes.

You also need to know the limitations of your camera. Different cameras have different dynamic ranges, and thus will render those colors in the sky differently.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint XPLOR 400PRO│Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

leeleeRT
103 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 19, 2012 14:15 |  #5

rivas8409 wrote in post #15385931 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

This is beautiful.

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept" - Ansel Adams
"Models make the best photographers" - Tyra Banks
www.focusure.com (external link)
5DM2/15mmfish2.8/70-200mm2.8IS/50mm1.2/105​mm2.8macro/16-35mm2.8/24-105mm4.0/etc, etc - cert. gear junkie

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

807 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sunset - Tips?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.