Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 12 Dec 2012 (Wednesday) 16:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

About to build a new system

Keedo
355 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 12, 2012 16:46 |  #1

Hey guys, I am looking to build a new system right now. Rather purchase In-store so I can get financing. My big budget is 1200 dollars, hoping to spend less than that though. What I will be doing with my computer is, editing pictures.. a lot. 3D animation here and there. After effects here and there as well. No gaming, don't really game that much. If I do, its on Xbox haha. Watch movies and listen to music.

Just out of curiosity, what processor do you guys recommend as well as SSD and Video Card.

Thank you, Keedo.

6D -- Canon 24-105 -- 50mm f1.8 -- Canon 16-35 f/4 -- Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II -- Canon 85 1.8
Flickr (external link)FaceBook (external link)

sponsored links
Moppie
14,828 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 12, 2012 18:31 |  #2

i7 3770 CPU
Any of the mid range Gigabyte to ASUS boards (which ever has enough SATA and USB connections for you).
16-32GB of ram. 16GB is the sweet spot at he moment, 32 might fit in to your budget.

After effects only supports Nvidia cards, and only officially supports some Nvidia cards, namely the most expensive ones.
But, a mid range gaming card (I use a GTX670, and you don't need something that powerful) will do the job if you follow the instructions here and modifiy a settings file in After Effects (also works for Premier Pro): http://www.studio1prod​uctions.com/Articles/P​remiereCS5.htm (external link)

Im currently using Samsung SSD's as they also hit a nice price/performance point.
Don't go overboard on the power supply, lower out put with better quality is better than higher output but lower quality. Cost determines quality.
A 500-600W PSU is more than enough.
(I run 2 SSD's, 4 Spinning discs, an i7 2600K, 16GB of ram, GTX670 and charge my mouse, tablet etc, all from a 650W PSU)

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Keedo
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 12, 2012 19:49 |  #3

Moppie wrote in post #15359397 (external link)
i7 3770 CPU
Any of the mid range Gigabyte to ASUS boards (which ever has enough SATA and USB connections for you).
16-32GB of ram. 16GB is the sweet spot at he moment, 32 might fit in to your budget.

After effects only supports Nvidia cards, and only officially supports some Nvidia cards, namely the most expensive ones.
But, a mid range gaming card (I use a GTX670, and you don't need something that powerful) will do the job if you follow the instructions here and modifiy a settings file in After Effects (also works for Premier Pro): http://www.studio1prod​uctions.com/Articles/P​remiereCS5.htm (external link)

Im currently using Samsung SSD's as they also hit a nice price/performance point.
Don't go overboard on the power supply, lower out put with better quality is better than higher output but lower quality. Cost determines quality.
(I run 2 SSD's, 4 Spinning discs, an i7 2600K, 16GB of ram, GTX670 and charge my mouse, tablet etc, all from a 650W PSU)

Wow, thank you for the awesome and helpful response! Will keep all of this in mind. Appreciate it.

6D -- Canon 24-105 -- 50mm f1.8 -- Canon 16-35 f/4 -- Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II -- Canon 85 1.8
Flickr (external link)FaceBook (external link)

Merlin_AZ
868 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 13, 2012 11:40 |  #4

An nvidia 660Ti might also work for you and save a few bux.

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 15, 2012 18:21 |  #5

Moppie wrote in post #15359397 (external link)
i7 3770 CPU

From what you've written before, I assume you have an i7 instead of an i5 is because you edit video. If that's true, is that pretty much the only area that benefits from hyperthreading, or do you see a substantial advantage elsewhere as well? I currently have a system much like yours except with a 2500K and I'm considering trying a game or two on it with the dual boot WIndows 7 system, so as long as the case is open...

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

Moppie
14,828 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 15, 2012 22:09 |  #6

I have two i7's, a 2600 and a 3770.

I've tested LR with hyper threading on and off, there is no perceptible difference for rendering exports and previews, but the local adjustment brush is noticeably faster with it turned on.
So much faster I couldn't work with the local adjustment brush with out it.

Toms Hardware have done some tests with games, and it VERY dependent on the game.

The biggest problem with the i5 and i7 however is getting data to it.
They can process most things faster than a single spinning disc and can read and write, so using multiple discs and where possible SSD's is the only want to truly get the best out of them.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 16, 2012 11:04 |  #7

Moppie wrote in post #15371714 (external link)
I have two i7's, a 2600 and a 3770.

I've tested LR with hyper threading on and off, there is no perceptible difference for rendering exports and previews, but the local adjustment brush is noticeably faster with it turned on.
So much faster I couldn't work with the local adjustment brush with out it.

Toms Hardware have done some tests with games, and it VERY dependent on the game.

The biggest problem with the i5 and i7 however is getting data to it.
They can process most things faster than a single spinning disc and can read and write, so using multiple discs and where possible SSD's is the only want to truly get the best out of them.

I'm using an OWC SSD for OSX and a SanDisk Extreme SSD for Window 7, and a Velociraptor for XP, and I have a small (60GB) SSD for PS scratch files etc, so I suspect that's covered.

Thanks for the input.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

drcig
22 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 17, 2012 22:06 |  #8

It sounds like you are on the right track. I highly recommend going to newegg.com and there you can atleast add items to your cart and see how much stuff is going to cost. I definitely recommend an i7 and sata 3. There is quite a big difference going form sata 2 to sata 3 in ssd drives.
It should be very doable to build a system for under 1200. Also don't go cheap on the power supply. I would get at least a 500watt supply. I learned my lesson when my supply went kaput on me from the system drawing too much power. checkout this site. I have used it to find supplys for all 3 systems I have built. http://www.extreme.out​ervision.com/PSUEngine (external link) I would rather have more than enough wattage in case you decide to add more hard drives, fans, etc.

Newegg also has a bill me later feature where you have no payments, interest for up to 6 months.

Power supply- 50-100
16gb Memory 130-170
Motherboard 150-300
Processor 150-500

Also make sure that your case you buy can fit your motherboard and graphic card. The case I bought has maybe an inch between the side of my case and the graphic card fan.
Just my 2 cents. You may be able to find prices cheaper than I did.

sponsored links

1,084 views & 0 likes for this thread
About to build a new system
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.