Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 16 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 17:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lets Talk Image Delivery - USB, CD, Cloud, Other?

GooseberryVisuals
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 16, 2012 17:32 |  #1

What is everyone using as their method of image delivery to clients?

We just switched from a generic CD to a custom USB, and I must say, clients are really liking the more professional feel.

There were a few big factors in us switching - first, the price per unit wasn't too high and wee could justify it knowing that it could help with referrals down the road. Second, a lot of new laptops aren't even shipping with CD drives, so it is/was only a matter of time before clients start asking for alternative ways to get their images. Third, the cloud was an option, like using Dropbox or Google Drive, but we don't want to be responsible for hosting them forever and I think clients like receiving something tangible.

What are you guys using?

sponsored links
jackinavox
302 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 16, 2012 18:56 |  #2

We use a combination of it all.

Custom branded everything:
- USB drives
- DVD and eco-DVD cases
- Wooden box with prints
- Wooden box with Albums

Works for us and the clients love the presentation.

Candy Capco Photography (external link) | Wellington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link)
Follow us on Facebook! (external link)

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 17, 2012 03:54 |  #3

I'm currently on DVD's but about to switch to USB sticks for the final images.... and also maybe a cloud / server for screen-res proofs so the clients can download themselves to save me posting things out twice.

I liked the look of the Sandisk 'Memory Vault' product - essentially a flash drive that only allows a certain number of writes in it's life but B&H dont have them in stock anymore. It would cost more but you could offer a 'standard' USB stick or an upgrade to something designed to last forever.

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

GooseberryVisuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 17, 2012 05:47 |  #4

These are the USBs I'm using, I got mine from http://www.usbmemorydi​rect.com/ (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8072/8267432829_4af940e9e7_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …acharywheeler/8​267432829/  (external link)
Gifts for Newfoundland Wedding & Engagement Couples!! (external link) by ZachWheeler (external link), on Flickr

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 17, 2012 16:09 |  #5

Nice!

| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 17, 2012 18:38 |  #6

I dunno. I went through this whole debate and decided on archival grade discs with scratch proof coating. The archival discs are rated for 100 years of data integrity, and the scratch proof coatings are VERY VERY strong. You basically need a very sharp knife and serious pressure to scratch them.

Also, usb drives are NOT archival AT ALL! They suffer from something called bit rot, where the data just eventually corrupts and is lost, even when properly stored and never touched. 99.999% of USB keys are also not write-only like a finalized DVD is, which means they can easily erase all the photos on them by accident. While DVDs may be nearing extinction, the form factor is still alive and well in the form of blurays, with backwards compatibility to dvd. USB may not even exist in 10 years, so it's no better than DVD as far as obsolescence goes... Who knows?

It's not like people would carry around their wedding dvd to share their pics anyhow, they would download them to their computer immediately and probably NEVER use the disc again until they accidentally erase them or something. So really, is it that much of a problem that its bigger and clunkier than a usb drive? Or that many laptops no longer have DVD drives? People load up the photos and copy over the net, post on facebook, email them, and share them on their phones and tablets. They just do not need this disc after the first download, so speed really isnt much of an issue either.

I just would rather give them something TRULY archival that cannot accidentally be erased, formatted, or corrupted by clicking the wrong button.

Our clients are totally wowed by our DVD delivery, so making an impression has nothing to do with being DVD or USB or not, it's all in the packaging.

I learned my first lesson regarding non-archival media years ago. Regular CD-R discs (the non-archival type) only last for about 5 years. After the 5 year mark, I was getting a lot of phone calls from old clients who could no longer read their CDs. What a super PITA to dig out all those old files and re-burn them all! I anticipate those using USB keys may go through a similar headache. Since them I've only used archival grade discs.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 17, 2012 18:44 as a reply to  @ picturecrazy's post |  #7

Either way cover yourself by including a note with the disk, stick, etc that says "disks/sticks etc can fail so please ensure you back up these files and have at least one copy in a separate location". That way if they come back after 5 years you can say "did you back it up"?". Would also mean you can charge a small fee to cover the PITA!!

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 17, 2012 18:47 as a reply to  @ mckay photography's post |  #8

And....we are all giving opinions on how long each media will last but do we have any hard statistics?! The 100 year + media sounds pretty awesome vs a hard drive, disk, or stick

CoRNDoG ­ R6
338 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 17, 2012 18:57 |  #9

What was the price on that?

Robert
Canon 5DII | Canon 7D | Canon T1i | Canon 70-200mm 4L IS | Canon 24-105mm 4L | Canon 17-40mm 4L | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro | Canon 50mm 1.4

GooseberryVisuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 17, 2012 19:16 |  #10

CoRNDoG R6 wrote in post #15379033 (external link)
What was the price on that?

Depends on how many you buy. You can contact http://www.usbmemorydi​rect.com/ (external link) for a quote pretty easily.

GooseberryVisuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 17, 2012 19:23 as a reply to  @ picturecrazy's post |  #11

It would be interesting to give clients both the tangible product, (be it a DVD or custom USB) and a cloud based alternative and monitor their access to the cloud folder. I wonder how much it would be used....

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 17, 2012 19:31 |  #12

For cloud access I'm guessing people have seen David Jay's PASS system - I had a quick look and the aim is to make it all cloud based. But downloading 3-4 GB (or more) I dont think is ideal and not everyone is techy enough to make it work or confident about the privacy control to be happy with it.

GooseberryVisuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 18, 2012 05:38 |  #13

razyl wrote in post #15379197 (external link)
But downloading 3-4 GB (or more) I dont think is ideal and not everyone is techy enough to make it work or confident about the privacy control to be happy with it.

Agreed. And that's one of the primary reasons why I don't bother with cloud storage, yet.

IMO, if they're tech savy enough to download it, they're capable to getting the USB and uploading it online themselves.

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 18, 2012 15:15 |  #14

ZachOly wrote in post #15380534 (external link)
Agreed. And that's one of the primary reasons why I don't bother with cloud storage, yet.

IMO, if they're tech savy enough to download it, they're capable to getting the USB and uploading it online themselves.

True - a download from the cloud isnt rocket science :) The privacy issue might be quite important for a lot of people although you could obviously do password protection & a one download style system to make people feel more secure with it.

The appeal of a cloud based delivery to me = no postage = no mucking around packing, printing, going to the post office etc. You just get everything ready & upload then send an email to notify. And of course this would be a lot cheaper than a DVD or the cool packaged USB sticks.

davisphotos
190 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 18, 2012 16:09 |  #15

I just ordered 50 custom USB drives with cases, under $10 a piece. I was doing custom printed DVD's with my logo on them, in a nice leather style album with a photo of the couple on the cover.

Maine Wedding Photographer Andrew Davis (external link)
New England Commercial Photography (external link)
Andrew Davis Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links

10,477 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lets Talk Image Delivery - USB, CD, Cloud, Other?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.