Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk 
Thread started 22 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 17:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Glowing eyes

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,109 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 22, 2012 17:27 |  #1

I know what causes glowing (demon's) eyes in dogs and since I always bounce my flash, I never have to contend with the terrible glowing eyes in my dog pictures.

However, I have been tasked with "fixing" many pictures of our American Maltese Association Rescue dogs submitted by foster caregivers all over the USA. Many of these were shot with P&S camera or DSLR cameras using the built-in flash. Virtually all of them suffer from glowing eye syndrome.

I usually erase the picture sent me after I fix them for publication on the dog rescue sebsite www.petfinder.com (external link). I reproduced one as an example here by using my onboard flash...

IMAGE: http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/photos/i-cmF6KFw/0/L/i-cmF6KFw-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com …874384&k=cmF6KF​w&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

What is the best way to fix the glowing eyes. My usual remedy is to use the Burn Tool with the circle about the same size as the glow in the eye. It works O.K., but not great. Auto red-eye removal in Photoshop Elements 10 dosen't work at all.

IMAGE: http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/photos/i-W67VhrK/0/L/i-W67VhrK-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com …869467&k=W67Vhr​K&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

However, if anyone has a better way I would love to learn about it. I cannot expect the foster guardians to use bounce or OTC flash. It is hard enough to get qualified fosters without micro-managing theit photography.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Mosephus
774 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 22, 2012 21:27 |  #2

I have a similiar method. I will lower the exposure/burn with a brush and locally desaturate the green color in the eye.

Dallas Pet Photography (external link)

Naraly
221 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 18, 2012 21:36 |  #3

Do you allow image editing?
What I do with my dog is use the paint bucket tool to click once on the eye part where the glow appears, this way my photoshop's red eye removal tool works (not perfectly, but I find it better than me using a brush because the red eye still leaves the natural shine in the eye). Then I get the clone stamp tool and clone out the edges of the glow that red eye does not remove, I also use the sponge to desaturate the color of any area where cloning it would look weird, and I use the burn tool. I then zoom in closely and use the dodge tool or a white brush at 10-20% opacity to highlight any natural white shine the eye has on the black part and enhance the "shiny" eyes.
It's not perfect..just something I find works for me so far.

edit: Oops I just saw this thread is old.. i'm such a newbie.

Cheers,
Nora

-->Facebook (external link)Instagram (external link)<--

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,676 views & 0 likes for this thread
Glowing eyes
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.