Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Dec 2012 (Wednesday) 18:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Glass before body? Hmm...nah.

NotBlake
212 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 15, 2012 06:32 |  #61

My personal priority list is now:

1. ANY full-frame body
2. Great glass
3. Great full-frame body

When it comes to the types of images that I like to create, the extra 1.3 stops of DOF at = FOV from the 35mm sensor vs APS-C sensor allows good primes to look better than the best primes on APS-C bodies.

A used 5DC is about the same or less expensive than many crop cameras now.

sponsored links
riotshield
425 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 15, 2012 07:06 as a reply to  @ NotBlake's post |  #62

Agreed ^

Even with glass there's diminishing returns. I have a 5Dc, 17-40L, 85 1.8 and Sigma 50. To upgrade to the 5D3, 16-35L, 85L and 50L would set me back thousands more, but I had a chance to shoot with the 5D3 and L primes recently and the difference in IQ is not as big as the jump from crop body + kit lens to what I have now, which cost me significantly less.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 15, 2012 07:29 |  #63

My opinion is it should go like this:

1. Lens
2. Body
3. Lens
4. Body.

With lighting mixed in there somewhere. Meaning that, if you have absolutely no kit whatsoever, you're going to be best served by a cheap body and good optics at first. Even the entry level bodies are mind boggling good these days, but if you put a coke bottle on the front of it, it's going to produce garbage and you need good light at any rate

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

marsaz
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 18, 2012 05:01 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #64

Glass before body? Of course.

Say you're a new guy and just got your first rebel with a 18-55 kit lens... This is usually the starting point. So what would you get first?

That's right, that's why "glass before body" is the usual advice.

Glass will always give you more advantages than a body. You can get great pictures in good light with 300D and a good piece of glass yet not even a 1DX will save you from horrible optics regardless of lightning conditions.

If you've already invested in your gear and got a few lenses that do not come with rebel kits. Then "It depends" :)

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

Lmbnk
98 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 19, 2012 06:50 |  #65

Glass before body? hmmm .... also not working for me.
I mean, I know I already have a decent camera right now but I'm lusting for AF speed, pro body and 10 fps :p

Even my sig haven't changed since I bought 17-40

And hopefully Soon I'm gonna upgrading my 550D/T2i into 1D Mk IV (if there's nothing in the way) :D

5DII | Sigma 35 1.4 | Canon 50 1.8

marsaz
203 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 19, 2012 08:04 |  #66

Lmbnk wrote in post #15384757 (external link)
Glass before body? hmmm .... also not working for me.
I mean, I know I already have a decent camera right now but I'm lusting for AF speed, pro body and 10 fps :p

Even my sig haven't changed since I bought 17-40

And hopefully Soon I'm gonna upgrading my 550D/T2i into 1D Mk IV (if there's nothing in the way) :D

That's just because you already have lots of good glass.

And! (allow me to be picky here) Wishlist in your signature has 3 lenses and no bodies listed :D

flickr (external link)
6D and glass

BigBadWolfie
268 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 19, 2012 08:50 as a reply to  @ Lmbnk's post |  #67

I kind of regret not going FF in the beginning and start with cheap glass, but that was based on the fact that I quickly invested much more into photography than I initially thought I would. So I think it really depends on your budget, the difference in bodies, the difference in lens, and how fast you can get that 2nd part of the kit. But in the long run I still think the right glass before the right body makes sense, since glass technology moves much more slowly than camera body technology, not to mention glass hold their value better. So ya I could have bought a 5DII and cheap class instead of a 60D or a 5dc and nice glass I will keep. But had I done that I would be still be looking to upgrade the 5DII and without the benefit of having nice glass.

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 19, 2012 10:24 |  #68

My take:

A $300 prime lens can satisfy the "you need good glass first" rule. Then you are free to pounce on fancy bodies.

That rule is made for people who buy cheap long zoom lenses.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 19, 2012 10:30 |  #69

I have always preferred the glass before body ever since the film days. Unfortunately today's sensors replacing film has changed some of that for me, and now it's a compromise between the two. I think you need to look at your entire package and make sure you have both good lenses and a sensor capable of getting the quality you need for the type of photography you do.

Investment-wise, lenses outlast bodies and therefore become money better spent.

Lmbnk
98 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 19, 2012 10:46 |  #70

marsaz wrote in post #15384921 (external link)
That's just because you already have lots of good glass.

And! (allow me to be picky here) Wishlist in your signature has 3 lenses and no bodies listed :D

this is why I'm deciding (in another thread) should I get 70-200L IS II and 1D Mk III or just 1D IV

5DII | Sigma 35 1.4 | Canon 50 1.8

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Dec 19, 2012 12:49 |  #71

When I ventured into DSLR land in April, I asked around here a bit, trying to decide on body and lenses. Some suggested I start with one of the Rebel bodies, others the 60D or 7D. I decided on the 60D early on, for some reason. Then the question: what lens to buy initially as I could only afford one. Again, the opinions varied but lots of people suggested the 15-85 as a starting place instead of one of the kit lenses.

According to some here, the whole process was a waste because I didn't choose an FF camera. I don't see it that way at all. I needed something and wanted it to be great for right now. I'll worry about FF when that times comes, if it does.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 19, 2012 13:31 |  #72

My strategy is lens and body at the same time... I have progressively built a good lens lineup while getting bodies when a worthy upgrade is available.

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

saaFOTO
379 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 19, 2012 13:50 |  #73

id def agree... I taught myself on the T2i and then got the T3i just for the swivel traveling and video... but going to 5D was so much a different feel and the look is oh so amazing! the 50 1.4 is a great lens no need at the moment for the L but I do have the 135L and its so much better on a full frame... eventually ill have the money for a 35L or 24L or just sell the 5d and buy a Mk2 for video and a few more pixels... bodies are just as imperative as lenses...

then again Lens upgrades on any level are great... just wait til you have the body to fit it!

its like highschool football players getting to college & receiving new jerseys but having to fight for starting postions but once the go pro (FF with a FF minded lens) its euphoric!

A CANON. A FEW LENSES. MIAMI.

Christopherm
301 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 19, 2012 18:08 |  #74

^This...

I purchased my first DSLR in December 2011. The t3i with 18-55 kit lens were at the very top of my budget. Since then, I've purchased a 50mm 1.8, a 55-250, and just this week a 70-200 f4 L.

According to the argument being made here, I should not have made my most recent L lens purchase.
Instead of buying a lens, I would have been better off selling my t3i, and upgrading to a 60d and using that with my 50mm and kit lenses.

I'd be shocked if anyone actually thought that would have been the best plan.

I just don't understand the argument at all.
Nobody is making the argument that upgrading bodies doesn't help your image quality.

For most of us, always purchasing the latest upgraded body isn't an option.

The "Glass before body" argument saves us money. If you spent $1000 on a body and $1000 on a lens in 2005, which one are you likely to still be using today??

Gear: A lot more than I deserve and a lot less than I want!

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 19, 2012 20:07 |  #75

Christopherm wrote in post #15387212 (external link)
^This...

I purchased my first DSLR in December 2011. The t3i with 18-55 kit lens were at the very top of my budget. Since then, I've purchased a 50mm 1.8, a 55-250, and just this week a 70-200 f4 L.

According to the argument being made here, I should not have made my most recent L lens purchase.
Instead of buying a lens, I would have been better off selling my t3i, and upgrading to a 60d and using that with my 50mm and kit lenses.

No, that's not what they're saying. They're saying to make a big jump from your T3i to a 7D or a 5Dii or iii. I don't think anybody would argue that a T3i to a 60D would be enough of an improvement to be worth the money. Maybe a 7D, but not a 60D.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

sponsored links

14,198 views & 0 likes for this thread
Glass before body? Hmm...nah.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.