Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Dec 2012 (Wednesday) 09:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Huge dissapointment in 7D

tlbjornson
71 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 19, 2012 09:11 |  #1

This weekend I took a step and upgraded from the T2i to a 7D. I was excited about the improved performance in certain areas and couldn't wait to get out and shoot with the new body.

I finally got my chance last night at a local Christmas light display.....

I want my T2i back. I would rather not take a single picture ever again than work with the 7D. I noticed the night that I got it while taking a few indoor shots that it seemed like everything was tinted red. My kids lips had funny red blobs where the lips should be, a couple picture of peoples faces seemed really noisy and full of red splotches.

At first I chocked it up to first few pictures with the new camera and not knowing all the controls yet. I did a factory reset on all the settings and installed the new 2.0 firmware to make sure the camera was up to date.

Last night was the icing on the cake. Out of almost 300 images I have 1.... (yes ONE) shot that is even close to marginally acceptable. The camera would hardly focus. I tried switching focusing modes with little improvement. It seemed to like single shot focus the best. What pictures did focus were extremly noisy even at low iso's. If I took close up's of any lights or trees both indoors and outdoors all I got were nasty colored jagged blobs of light even though everything looked fine when I was focusing on the object. And one again everything was tinted red... very red

I know very little about histograms (need to learn these) but in comparision of some pictures that I took last year at this same event with my old camera there is a huge difference. where last year the curve was more bell shaped with a few small spikes. this year with the new camera it looks like a earthquake hit the histogram. Huge spikes on all colors... and all over the place.

Is this a camera issue... like something actually wrong with the camera? or is this something that I am doing not knowing the new body yet? I don't have any of the pictures uploaded where I can post them until late tonight.

This is just a huge bummer. I'm calling the store that I bought the camera from as I traded my old one in to them towards the new one. I'm hoping they still have it and will help me out or I am out a bit of cash that I really didn't want to or need to be spending right now.

Canon 7D|Canon 50mm/1.4|Canon 70-200 F4 L | Tamron 18-270 | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

sponsored links
LucasY
53 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 19, 2012 09:14 |  #2

Can you post an example with the exif intact?

Still learning.

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 19, 2012 09:15 |  #3

I don't have a 7D and without a sample file, it's hard to say what's going on in your situation. Sorry.

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

tlbjornson
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 19, 2012 09:18 as a reply to  @ HiepBuiPhotography's post |  #4

I've never posted a pic with the intent of keeping the exif intact. Is there a specific way while converting from RAW or a specific way to upload it?

jkru617
220 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 19, 2012 09:20 |  #5

What was your white balance set to?

javierz0509
744 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Dec 19, 2012 09:21 |  #6

i sense user error on this let see where this takes us, we would love to see a sample.

Follow me on Facebook (external link) - Canon 5D MK3 - 85mm f/1.8 - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Trugga
652 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 19, 2012 09:21 |  #7

I went from a T2i to a 7d, and whilst I noted a little learning curve, it was no way as bad as you have reported above.

Hopefully it is an in-camera issue. Sample images from this event and the previous years event (as you mentioned it) might be useful for diagnostics.

Lawrence

Dustin ­ Mustangs
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 19, 2012 09:21 |  #8

As you export from LR, or where ever, it will ask if you want to remove it or not.

This sounds like an equipment malfunction, but frankly you have no business owning a 7D if you don't know how to read a histogram.

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,373 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 19, 2012 09:24 |  #9

tlbjornson wrote in post #15385143 (external link)
I've never posted a pic with the intent of keeping the exif intact. Is there a specific way while converting from RAW or a specific way to upload it?

Do you use a hosting site for posting pictures here? Flickr, for example?

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

tlbjornson
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 19, 2012 09:24 |  #10

Dustin Mustangs wrote in post #15385164 (external link)
As you export from LR, or where ever, it will ask if you want to remove it or not.

This sounds like an equipment malfunction, but frankly you have no business owning a 7D if you don't know how to read a histogram.

I agree.... and today's project at work while it is totally dead will be to start learning more about the histogram. I'm always up for a challenge.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined May 2008

Dec 19, 2012 09:27 |  #11

The 7D has a learning curve to it, especially if you are not an experienced photographer. Without seeing some example photos, we can only speculate, but if I had to guess, I bet this is user error.

How did you take photos with your old Rebel camera? Were you in auto "green box" mode, fully manual, or somewhere in between? In comparison, what mode are you using on the 7D? Are you shooting JPEG, or RAW?

I am sure, based on seeing some example photos and the answers to the questions we have asked so far, we will have more questions and can also provide some guidance as to whether this is a user or equipment issue.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

tlbjornson
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 19, 2012 09:27 |  #12

I really hope it is user error. I was really looking forward to the upgrade.

Yes I use flickr and photobucket... trying to shift mainly to flickr at this point.

I'm trying to get my girlfriend to send me a couple of the images from last night or upload them to flickr so I can post them. The images from last year I won't be able to get until late tonight

blackjack999
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 19, 2012 09:32 |  #13

tlbjornson wrote in post #15385185 (external link)
I really hope it is user error. I was really looking forward to the upgrade.

Yes I use flickr and photobucket... trying to shift mainly to flickr at this point.

I'm trying to get my girlfriend to send me a couple of the images from last night or upload them to flickr so I can post them. The images from last year I won't be able to get until late tonight

If's it's not a user error, you may have a bad copy of the body. If you had a look at some post here about the 7D, you'd know that this camera is awesome.

X-Pro2 + 23mmF1.4
Flickr (external link)

tlbjornson
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 19, 2012 09:32 |  #14

Scott M wrote in post #15385184 (external link)
The 7D has a learning curve to it, especially if you are not an experienced photographer. Without seeing some example photos, we can only speculate, but if I had to guess, I bet this is user error.

How did you take photos with your old Rebel camera? Were you in auto "green box" mode, fully manual, or somewhere in between? In comparison, what mode are you using on the 7D? Are you shooting JPEG, or RAW?

I am sure, based on seeing some example photos and the answers to the questions we have asked so far, we will have more questions and can also provide some guidance as to whether this is a user or equipment issue.

I wouldn't call myself an experienced photographer but I'm not the point, shoot, and pray type either. I've had camera's for a long time. Before my T2i back in the film days I shot with a Minolta Maxxum 7

I seldom shoot in "green box' mode. Most of my shooting is done in Apeture Priority and the rest in Shutter.

I'm shooting in RAW exclusively and then use Lightroom to sort and export.

tlbjornson
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 19, 2012 09:33 |  #15

jkru617 wrote in post #15385156 (external link)
What was your white balance set to?

I don't remember right now but if I had to take a guess I would say it was set to Auto.

sponsored links

31,501 views & 0 likes for this thread
Huge dissapointment in 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.