Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Dec 2012 (Wednesday) 09:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Huge dissapointment in 7D

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,475 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 19, 2012 18:33 |  #76

dochollidayda wrote in post #15387176 (external link)
Good advice. Then again us Canadians are known to be polite and smart :D

Hey now, some of us Uhmerikans are too! :) Obviously some of that northern charm has to rub off on us from time to time :lol:

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

sponsored links
DarkPhantom
356 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 19, 2012 21:18 |  #77

Well, the T2i and the 7D share the same sensor...sooo...it shouldn't be that different.

My brother just picked up his 7D and it was because he shot sports. Miles ahead of the T2i/T3i...

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 19, 2012 21:41 |  #78

I have both the 7D and the T2i. From an auto-exposure and IQ standpoint they are nearly identical.
The image you have here is a difficult one. You have a glaring light source on the right in the frame and a face on the left side. The lighting in the room is probably near 8-10 stops difference from one end to the other. No matter what you do, the image is either going to have part severely overexposed or severely underexposed. What you need is more light on the left side to make this image right.

I don't understand the AF problem unless you were using slow glass and outside AF points on the darker part of the scene. The T2i is actually inferior in this situation. The best thing you could do with this would be to have a speedlight and bounce it and have the focus assist beam on which would improve AF performance a lot.

However, if you are still terribly disappointed, I'll trade you my T2i, 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS kit lens and throw in a Canon 55-250 IS (nifty 250) for the 7D body. :-)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,130 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 19, 2012 22:24 |  #79

I think we're getting somewhere now...

It was reverse for me a few yrs ago - looked great in Lr3 but my then browser (Firefox) showed ugly blotchy coloration until I was told to delete my ICC profile... I realized they looked fine in Windows Explorer so for me it was a Firefox corruption, which happened at least one more time and switched to Crome. No issue in 2 yrs now.

Of course one day I'll get wise and get real color calibration software...

tinrooster wrote in post #15387262 (external link)
Just an observation that corrupted ICC color profiles can really screw with things, and introduce all sorts of image degradation that isn't really there.

My workstation is a Win 7 LR4 dual monitor setup, and for a while I was unable to figure out why my primary monitor (Dell 2209WA) was displaying blotchy images with horrible color depth and posterization) in Lightroom, but not in other applications. Deleting, or reverting the ICC color profiles in Windows 7 color management resolved the problem nicely.

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

Fester
814 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 19, 2012 22:36 |  #80

So its only been 4 days & your disappointed? Your not being fair.
I've my my 7D for a few hours, while my T3i is now gathering dust.
These 2 are night and day different in the controls and set up. This 7D is going to be a big learning curve. I'm not even looking at any of my pictures off camera till I learn all these new settings and features.
I think your expecting too much too fast. Give it time and learn this new camera that doesnt have the automatic and scenes.
I had just gotten good with the T3i's controls and everything is now in different places.
Now I have to read myself to sleep with a new freeking manual

TheFarmer
267 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 19, 2012 22:45 |  #81

Give the OP some credit. New camera, new learning curve. The 7D is a prosumer camera and I do know a lot of regular people, such as mom, sister, dad, that do not like this camera (been there done that). It requires more manual control, more PP, more finesse, more involvement so everyone get their panties out of a bunch and help OP instead of bashing (the ones that did). Or, STFU.

*Beer in both hands!* Cheers! Almost new years!!

5DM3 | 35mm F2 | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 24-105 F4L | Canon GP-E2 GPS | Canon ST-E3-RT | 2x 600EX-RT | The End

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,130 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 19, 2012 22:53 |  #82

TheFarmer wrote in post #15388070 (external link)
...It requires more manual control, more PP, more finesse, more involvement so everyone get their panties out of a bunch and help OP instead of bashing (the ones that did). Or, STFU.

*Beer in both hands!* Cheers! Almost new years!!

:cool: , and :cool:

and may I add, and I'm not trying to be an instigator, but :cool:

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

TheFarmer
267 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 19, 2012 23:05 |  #83

Immaculens wrote in post #15388096 (external link)
:cool: , and :cool:

and may I add, and I'm not trying to be an instigator, but :cool:

:cool::cool:

5DM3 | 35mm F2 | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 24-105 F4L | Canon GP-E2 GPS | Canon ST-E3-RT | 2x 600EX-RT | The End

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 19, 2012 23:48 |  #84

Might be late to the party, but I'm betting this is user error just from reading the OP. Try learning all the functions of the camera first and how to properly use it. Also look up stuff on post processing as taking the picture is just half the step. I've used a 7D before and the 7D is definitely in a different league than the body you had before. It's aimed at a different demographic as the rebels are more point-and-shoot friendly for starters.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Dec 20, 2012 00:26 as a reply to  @ post 15386263 |  #85

What's happened to all those other pics we were supposed to see?

Mark

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,412 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 20, 2012 00:52 |  #86

I picked up my 7D at the Canon Thanksgiving refurb sale. It had about 140 clicks on it. I wonder how many of these 7Ds were returned by people frustrated when the camera refused to cooperate right out of the box.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

tlbjornson
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 20, 2012 00:59 |  #87

haggy38 wrote in post #15386795 (external link)
Another 7D hater because a couple of pictures. Why these people don't read the manual and accept they are not a experts photographers, as they think most of the time. All these guys will understand, this is a genuine user error!! " I hate the 7d" " 7d is faulty" " My 7d is garbage" etc.

The 7d has a leaning curve to master and take advantage of his true potential, unless the camera is factory damage. PLEASE take your time before bashing the 7d, a few bad photos don't say anything, support on this forum, is full of knowledge and then avaluate.:mad:

Regards,

I'm not a 'hater'..... I really want to learn. I think I was just rather disappointed last night when what I thought were going to be good photos turned into something else.

Canon 7D|Canon 50mm/1.4|Canon 70-200 F4 L | Tamron 18-270 | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

tlbjornson
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 20, 2012 01:01 |  #88

rrblint wrote in post #15388295 (external link)
What's happened to all those other pics we were supposed to see?

Sorry was out a bit late.

Finally had a chance to upload a few of the images. I will start with those then with the rest of the story.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

test shot-7 (external link) by tlbjornson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

test shot-6 (external link) by tlbjornson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

test shot-5 (external link) by tlbjornson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

test shot-3 (external link) by tlbjornson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

test shot-2 (external link) by tlbjornson (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

test shot-1 (external link) by tlbjornson (external link), on Flickr

tlbjornson
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 20, 2012 01:08 |  #89

So the girlfriend took the camera to the shop that I bought it from. I managed to get off work early so I went down there to meet up with her and see what they had to say.

Something I might not have mentioned was that this was a used body. It's in beautiful shape but was used.

I handed it over to a couple of the guys there to look at the pictures. They agreed that the red's looked a bit high in places. We took a bunch of test shots of things with red and things without red. The camera functioned perfectly until red was introduced into the picture.

I know I am a total newbie when it comes to histograms but I did do some reading today so I know that the further right on the histogram the more over exposed it is. Every thing that we shot that had red in it, the red channel in the histogram would be much more weighted towards the right side while the green and blue seemed to track fairly consistant.

The store had another used 7d sitting there so we grabbed that. Set all the settings the same and took a few reference pictures with that body. WOW what a difference. The reds were more true to what the naked eye saw, when looking at the histogram there wasn't the shift to the right with the red.. It was amazing. The employees at the store saw it as well and couldn't explain what was going on.

Long story short... they excanged camera bodies with me. So I am sitting here typing with a new(used) 7D body that seems to be functioning much better than the original.

Is there still user error???? Of course. I know I have a long long way to go before I can say I know how to use this new camera. I'm just hoping that the big fat guy in the red suit looked at my amazon wish list..... (books about the camera)

ljason8eg
478 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 20, 2012 01:43 |  #90

tlbjornson wrote in post #15388376 (external link)
Sorry was out a bit late.

Finally had a chance to upload a few of the images. I will start with those then with the rest of the story.

1) Shutter speed too slow and white balance too warm.

2) Same as 1; shutter too slow and WB off.

3) Same, shutter too slow and WB off.

4) The lights look overexposed so they lack detail.

5) Underexposed and you missed focus (assuming you wanted to focus on the face).

6) Looks front focused.

I'm not sure any of these are a fault of the body, or that your other camera would have produced a different outcome.

Jason
Gear: 1D Mark III | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | 24-105 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L | Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 | 580 EX II |

sponsored links

30,898 views & 0 likes for this thread
Huge dissapointment in 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.