Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Dec 2012 (Thursday) 13:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just got treated like a terrorist on the way to my sons school play

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,873 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 20, 2012 15:53 |  #16

AltgnJoey wrote in post #15390188 (external link)
First things first, I live a block away from the school so my wife, her mother and I decide to walk on over. I have my 5d2 with a 24-70 attached, carrying it with me as we walk. I snap off a picture of my wife and her mother walking on the sidewalk no where near the school nor in it's direction.

As we walk by the first building which is their administration office, an old school, built in 1912 which I've photographed many times as it is a very cool looking building a man runs out of the building screaming " WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING".

Startled I turn around and I ask, umm excuse me? He screams what the hell are you doing taking pictures of the school. I said I didn't take one damn picture of the school, what the hell are you talking about? He goes are you insane? I said WHAT!? Am I insane? For what bringing a dslr to a school play? I said on the sheet you sent home it specifically states to bring your cameras! I said I do this professionally and I don't understand the problem? He repeats again I can't take pictures of the school and am I insane to bring that kind of camera around a school after what has just happened.

I said at this point, again I didnt take any pictures of the school, I'm walking to the elementary building to see my sons play and photograph it. He says let me see what you have on your memory card.

LOL. WHAT?

I said, F*** you man, you're the crazy one. He says if you have nothing to hide you will show me. I said WTF is goin on here, like really, I'm thinking is this really happening? He goes or better yet i'm just goin to call the cops.

I said ok look, look at my damn memory card, here, I cycle back and there is a total of 6 shots on it from the day before and the one I just took. He stares blankly. I said so what now boss? He says well a neighbor called saying you were taking pictures. I said well considering you can see my house from where we are standing yes I take pictures all the time on my property? Your point?

Then he apologizes and says , yeah I used to be a photographer and I would get in trouble for taking pictures of bridges after Sept 11th.

So what is your take on this potn?

Should we not bring our cameras around schools? I dont get it? I felt like a criminal walking into the school building as people were staring at me after the altercation.

Mid-December of 2012 is a time to show exceptional discretion when having anything to do with schools in the U.S. Having gone to two unrelated sporting events hundreds of miles away from and several states away from Connecticut where the organizers chose to hold moments of silence in memory and honor of those who were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary (external link), this is no time to try to control any sort of situation such as that mentioned in the OP. Emotions are running very high and strong reactions are to be expected. The best way to handle any confrontation at such a highly charged time is to avoid trouble and back down.

Example: at a hockey game involving a team that I've photographed as a fan for years, I spotted a "no professional photography" sign that had never been posted before. My response was to look twice at the sign, walk calmly out of the rink and head home. There was no benefit in arguing the point, especially at a time when the nation was hyper-sensitive to any sort of confrontation.

sponsored links
icopus
she got me least expecting her!
2,257 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 20, 2012 15:54 as a reply to  @ post 15390681 |  #17

Amazing how folks today deal with bad or uncomfortable situations with others; " 'Go %#$%# yourself!' and walk away." Is this REALLY the way you handle these situations?

It's a wonder why there aren't MORE shootings than there are. In many places, just a toot of the horn draws gun fire!

No wonder the rest of the world thinks the US is so violent. Come to think of it... maybe they're right.

Frankly, you're getting embarrassing.  :o

Seeking 'kill' record. Please refrain from replying to this thread for 24 hrs.
If you want fuzzy, my card is full of that.
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,860 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 20, 2012 16:07 as a reply to  @ icopus's post |  #18

As an outsider, I don't really understand how the events at Newtown (lovely town, by the way, I passed through there a decade or so ago) are used as justification for over the top reactions to photography at schools or public events. Challenging suspicious characters loitering, with or without visible weapons, sure - but cameras?

Cheers, Damien

blogs
229 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 20, 2012 16:10 |  #19

How the hell can anyone draw a correlation between a guy taking photos (even if it was of a school) and insane evil teens with access to assault rifles going on a killing spree?? Gee some people are brain dead...it's scary!

blogs
229 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 20, 2012 16:12 |  #20

dodgyexposure wrote in post #15390792 (external link)
As an outsider, I don't really understand how the events at Newtown (lovely town, by the way, I passed through there a decade or so ago) are used as justification for over the top reactions to photography at schools or public events. Challenging suspicious characters loitering, with or without visible weapons, sure - but cameras?

Exactly! How many of the school massacres were 'scoped out' before hand with photos for reconisence before the nutbags went on a shooting spree? Heck most of them (if not all?) we're by students!!

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,089 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 20, 2012 16:17 |  #21

dodgyexposure wrote in post #15390792 (external link)

blogs wrote in post #15390804 (external link)
Exactly! How many of the school massacres were 'scoped out' before hand with photos for reconisence before the nutbags went on a shooting spree? Heck most of them (if not all?) we're by students!!

Too many people get their information from TV and movies where the bad guy always scopes out a target with a big camera first, complete with the film winding sound effect. So everyone with a big camera is automatically up to no good unless they're at the sideline of an NFL game.

mckinleypics
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 20, 2012 16:22 |  #22

Today I drove to my son's school for a class party. As I got out of the car a playground monitor lady said "Well that was a little creepy." I said, "What?" She said, "you were driving a little fast there." I said, "I don't think you know what the word 'creepy' means."

Dave
7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII
My Flickr (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 20, 2012 16:37 |  #23

mckinleypics wrote in post #15390846 (external link)
Today I drove to my son's school for a class party. As I got out of the car a playground monitor lady said "Well that was a little creepy." I said, "What?" She said, "you were driving a little fast there." I said, "I don't think you know what the word 'creepy' means."

the sad thing is she represents a large part of our population these days. :confused:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

team ­ haymaker
711 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 20, 2012 16:48 |  #24

Im shocked no one else said it, but you definitely werent treated like a terrorist. The guy acted like an a-hole but by the sounds of your responses you did too.

Id say, lack of communication by both of you, and an over reaction / stupidity on his part

My 500px (external link)

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 20, 2012 16:59 |  #25

I would say that village idiot was asking to have his a$$ kicked till none was left, If I didn't value my camera he'd be walking funny after that bs

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

icopus
she got me least expecting her!
2,257 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 20, 2012 17:09 as a reply to  @ Joe Ravenstein's post |  #26

IMAGE: http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif

Seeking 'kill' record. Please refrain from replying to this thread for 24 hrs.
If you want fuzzy, my card is full of that.
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 20, 2012 17:43 as a reply to  @ post 15390716 |  #27

Unfortunately folks are hyper sensitive right now and usually leads to knee jerk reactions like you experienced. Does not make it right, it is just the reality right now. Don't blame you for being angry.

Best, Bruce

PeteD
Goldmember
2,951 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 20, 2012 18:00 as a reply to  @ Gizmo1137's post |  #28

I agree that times are very different in the US. Ever since 911 people act like you are a terrorist if you have a real camera and take pictures of anything. And then the ignorance they use to justify their actions even if you know you are in the right. everyone wants to be politically correct and not hurt anyone's feelings in today's world but break out a camera and see what happens!

The best way to handle any of these types of situations is to be kind and back down.

I would have been pissed also because I would be feeling like my rights and freedoms were being stepped on.

It is kinda a no win situation

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it!!
52weeks completed (external link)
My 365 thread on the Camel (external link)
P & A Photos Flickr (external link)
P & A Photos Photobucket (external link)

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,773 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 20, 2012 18:06 |  #29

I wouldn't have given him time of day. I would have walked away...had he grabbed me I would let him know that is his only time to touch me and get away with it. Next time I'd consider it assault and beat him with my assault camera and then call the police on him. Just my take.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

convergent
Goldmember
2,211 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 20, 2012 18:41 |  #30

I guess I'm the minority here. Sure, the guy from the school overreacted, but in my opinion, the OP was a bit of a jerk. A polite response would have probably diffused the situation, rather than getting all arrogant and telling him to "F himself". The lack of sensitivity at all that the country just suffered one of the worst tragedies in school history is amazing. Would it have really been that much of an inconvenience to just talk to the guy respectfully?

We are nowhere near the CT, but my daughter, who's in high school is quite uneasy about things. The school principal has called the house several times this week, and sent home another letter today alerting us that there are reports all over that students will be bringing guns to school tomorrow. This is a high school on the other side of the country, and everyone is on edge. Yet someone dared to question what you were doing near the school. Next time just relax and show some respect, regardless of how someone else acted. You are only in control of your own actions, which you recounted in detail.

Mike - Victory Photo (external link) | Full Gear List | Feedback
5D3 gripped - 7D2 gripped - 17-40L f/4 - 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM - 24-70L f/2.8 II - 70-200L f/2.8 IS II - 100-400 L f/4.6-5.6 IS II
135L f/2 - 300L f/2.8 IS - Siggy 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 100 f/2.8 Macro - TC1.4 II - TC2 III - (2) 600EX-RT - ST-E3-RT

sponsored links

10,601 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just got treated like a terrorist on the way to my sons school play
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.