Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Dec 2012 (Thursday) 13:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Deciding to sell or not

Kaiser_photographer
196 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 20, 2012 13:13 |  #1

Recently bought a 5D MK III, and it's really amazing, using a 7D and 5D MK II, and i'm with three bodies now.
I shoot a lot of portraits,sports and events, and sometimes wildlife when i get a chance.
Altought I love FF, with the MK III, I've been using the 5D MK II less and less, sometimes use the combo mk III with a 50mm 1.4 and the MK II with a 100mm 2.8 macro.
Love the combo 16-35mm 2.8 L II on the 7D and the 70-200 2.8 II on the MK III for events, and keep the 5D MK II just as a backup on the bag.
My 5D MK II has been trough everything with me, love is files and the video capability, but it is pretty beated up, has some scars on the body, the rear screen has some superficial scratchs and passed the 200 thousand mark on shutter actuations and good amount of video on the sensor, has some dead pixels here and there not too noticiable.
The thing is i'm thinking of selling it, because I'm not using it that much, and as a backup with the original shutter on 200 K actuations i'm afraid of it failing, and keeping the body just for video and timelapses and ocasional sessions of portraits I'm not justifying the cost of keeping it.
But on the other side i'm thinking of selling it, triyng to get 1000 €*for it, about 1300$, but by it's outer look i'm just getting 1000$ bids or less than that.
I'm thinking of selling it to fund the buy a 200mm 2.0 IS or 300mm 2.8 is I.
Post your thoughts to help me decide.

Gear List
FLICKR (external link)
FLICKR MPS (external link)

sponsored links
adamo99
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 20, 2012 13:19 |  #2

It's not going to appreciate any more. If you're not using it, get what you can for it and move on. It's a camera, not an heirloom.

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 20, 2012 13:25 as a reply to  @ adamo99's post |  #3

This is how I see it. Unless you absolutely require FF image files, there is no reason to keep the 5d2. The mark3 does everything a 5d2 could and way better.
But the 5d3 can do most of the stuff a 7d could. Somethings that 7d has the edge is 8fps, burst-depth and wait for it.... 1.6x reach. Oh yeah pop-up flash for flash commander.

So there. Get rid of the 5d2 while you can before the 6d wave erodes the 5d2 resale value further.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 20, 2012 14:47 |  #4

Why keep a camera so that it can collect dust when even if you can only get $900 for it, will be put to more use??

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,190 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 20, 2012 14:52 |  #5

given that the new price has hit the neighborhood of $1500 recently I think you are expecting a bit too much for a camera in that condition. But if you arent going to use it, get what you can. I'm in the same boat with my old 5D since I recently bought a new 5DII.

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 20, 2012 15:22 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #6

Sell it and get what you can ASAP! The value can only go down from here so sell it and move on.

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,768 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 20, 2012 17:55 as a reply to  @ Yogi Bear's post |  #7

The 5DMII used in good condition will most likely be selling for $1100 soon. The condition of a body you describe will be selling in the $800 range sooner than you think. If you can get $1000 or more now you should take it.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

JamesDurbinMedia
159 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 20, 2012 18:06 |  #8

You should sell it ASAP, prices will continue to drop. I'm looking to buy one in your condition right now so that I can get it for cheap. I don't care about outward appearance at all and I have a company CPS Gold account that can service any issues. I'm assuming from your monetary symbols you are not located in the US though, so I can't actually buy your specific camera.

J.D
Staff Photographer - Hearst Corporation - Newspaper Division

Kaiser_photographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
196 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 20, 2012 18:15 |  #9

JamesDurbinMedia wrote in post #15391163 (external link)
You should sell it ASAP, prices will continue to drop. I'm looking to buy one in your condition right now so that I can get it for cheap. I don't care about outward appearance at all and I have a company CPS Gold account that can service any issues. I'm assuming from your monetary symbols you are not located in the US though, so I can't actually buy your specific camera.

Agree with you, i don't care about outward appearance, if it works without any issues, just like a soldier with some battle scars, each scar tell a different story.
Would gladly sell it to you, but I'm not in the US, i'm in Portugal.

Gear List
FLICKR (external link)
FLICKR MPS (external link)

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 20, 2012 19:15 |  #10

I'd sell the 5d mark II. Don't expect to get a lot out of it since yours seems to be heavily used. You already have a 5D3 so it's really time to step down the 5D2 unless you want a FF backup?

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 20, 2012 19:22 |  #11

1300 is way too much for a 5D2 with 200k on the shutter...but still...sell it for whatever you can get for it. It's only gonna go down in value...and if you miss it, just buy another used one, they're everywhere.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sonofjesse
687 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 20, 2012 22:03 |  #12

Sell it for what you can get it and invest in more glass. The longer you wait or the more you shoot the 5D II will only go down in value.

FeedBack
Feedback 2
Feedback 3
Feedback 4
Feedback 5

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 20, 2012 22:25 |  #13

I would suspect that there will be a number of used 5Dc's & 5DII's on the market post-Christmas that will drive down prices on both bodies significantly, and I doubt that the prices will recover after the flood hits the market. I see many people in the Sell forum that keep hoping that their 5Dc will be worth $800-1000 again, and it just isn't going to happen. Prices creep down and creep down until something happens for them to plummet and then the downward creep starts again. I think that the 5DII is ready to plummet (I'm not so sure that the 5Dc is ready to plummet again so soon), and Christmas "upgrades" may just be the trigger needed.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

sponsored links

1,402 views & 0 likes for this thread
Deciding to sell or not
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.