Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Dec 2012 (Wednesday) 21:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will I be frustrated with the 5d mkIIs AF?

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 19, 2012 06:58 |  #16

cisobe wrote in post #15360041 (external link)
My wife gave me the green light on the 5d mkiii, but I'm still debating between the mkiii and the mkii... I currently have a 7D, and I love the AF system on it. I still use my 40d when I shoot my company events and need a second body. The AF on it is decent, but its hard to go back to... I believe the mkii's af is similar to the 40d, is this a correct assumption?

If I go the mkii route, I would be able to pick up a new lens, or another flash with the extra money, but I'm worried I would only use the mkii for portraits and landscapes.... which may be OK since I still have my 7d... but I'd hate to spend money on a new camera and not use it a lot...

The mkiii's AF system is basically the 7D's AF on steroids and I wouldn't hesitate using it for anything and everything... it will likely make me neglect my 7D.... but i intend on keeping it anyways... I love my 10-22 and 17-55.... but my 24-105 and 70-200 would be great for the mkiii....

Oh the dilemmas...

Oh and sorry, I'm on an Android tablet and the forum search is a bit weird...

Sell the 40D and the Rebel, and get the 5diii. If you don't like the AF on the 40D, you won't like it any better on the 5Dii.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

sponsored links
guitarjeff
671 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 19, 2012 08:39 as a reply to  @ archer1960's post |  #17

Sell the 40D and get the 5D2 in my opinion. Focus and recompose on my 5D2 is wonderful, not a hint of a problem, just perfect.

Then, you have your trusty 7D for fast stuff and sports/birding, and your 5D2 for family events, portraits and landscapes. They really are the perfect combination, and I love the idea of having two bodies for backup. I love the idea of having two fav lenses mounted to each for each need, no changing lenses all the time, which is huge to me. Out with those two, you see the long range moving boat or something, grab that 7D, then right after you see a landscape scene, grab that 5D2 (With the new lens just just got because you saved money), and get that shot, no lens change, just pure fun. %d2 center point is just fine for all your people, family events and landscapes you want. In other words, it's perfect for what you would use that camera for along side your 7D.

cisobe
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 20, 2012 18:13 |  #18

So.... I pulled the trigger on the mkiii... in the excitement, I paid $25 for expedited shipping so I should have it by Xmas eve...

The only remorse I have right now can't really be described as remorse... more like the oh sh!#, I hope I can use this thing to its potential!

Better yet, I hope my wife can see the difference! Im' not sure showing her how clean and noise free my high ISO shots are, or how creamy my 70-200 2.8 is is on FF or the differences between 50mm on a crop vs 50mm on a FF... lol I'm sure she will get annoyed with me pointing out how well I focuses in the dark too...

5D MKIII|7D w/ Grip|EF-S 10-22MM f/3.5-4.5|EF-S 17-55MM f/2.8 IS|EF 24-105MM f/4L IS|EF 50MM f/1.4|EF 70-200MM f/2.8L IS|85mm f/1.8|35mm f/2 IS|70-300MM f/4-5.6 IS|580EX|Manfrotto 055PROB|2x PCB Einstein 640

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 20, 2012 20:37 |  #19

Why is everyone so obsessed with AF? What happened to the science? I rarely ever use AF... If you have the money.....you should recognize the skill.....it's not about servo's!!!!!!

JX
508 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 20, 2012 20:44 as a reply to  @ cisobe's post |  #20

you made the right decision. The 5d mk2 is the worst Canon camera I own. However, I have heard nothing but good things from other photographers who upgraded from the 5dmk2 to the 5dmk3. I only use my 5Dmk2 now for general news assignments and use my 1Dx for sports. I bought my 5dmk2 to replace my 1Dmk3, which broke, and the repair cost were more than what the camera was worth. At the time the 1Dx was announce but not available.

JX

sonofjesse
687 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 20, 2012 21:11 |  #21

Do you need the FPS and reach of the crop? What are your goals. IF your shooting stuff that don't matter (landscapes you can always retake the shot) the 5d mark II is really awesome, use the center AF point and its not bad. Just no where close to the 5D mark III.

So to you is the price difference between the II and the III worth the money? The main thing you gain in my experience is the AF!! (yes I have owned both too BTW).

FeedBack
Feedback 2
Feedback 3
Feedback 4
Feedback 5

pcunite
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 20, 2012 21:30 |  #22

You made the right choice I believe. The 5D III is the camera we've all had spec'd in our minds for years on end. If for some reason you need more "reach" you have the 7D ...

convergent
Goldmember
2,211 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 20, 2012 23:08 |  #23

StaticMedia wrote in post #15391682 (external link)
Why is everyone so obsessed with AF? What happened to the science? I rarely ever use AF... If you have the money.....you should recognize the skill.....it's not about servo's!!!!!!

Try shooting indoor volleyball in a high school gym with your manual focus skill. Then try shooting it with a 5D3. I think your !!!!!!!! will probably be for a different reason. People used to do it with manual focus... and people used to go to the bathroom in a hole in the ground to, but I think I prefer a toilet. You buy the tool you need for the job you want to do. If you primarily manual focus then the 5D3 is probably not the best body to buy.

Mike - Victory Photo (external link) | Full Gear List | Feedback
5D3 gripped - 7D2 gripped - 17-40L f/4 - 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM - 24-70L f/2.8 II - 70-200L f/2.8 IS II - 100-400 L f/4.6-5.6 IS II
135L f/2 - 300L f/2.8 IS - Siggy 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 100 f/2.8 Macro - TC1.4 II - TC2 III - (2) 600EX-RT - ST-E3-RT

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 20, 2012 23:28 |  #24

StaticMedia wrote in post #15391682 (external link)

Why use cameras while I can just draw the scenery by HANDS!? You people have NO SKILLS.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

sponsored links

3,106 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will I be frustrated with the 5d mkIIs AF?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.