Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 08 Dec 2012 (Saturday) 13:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Win XP -> Win 8 ?

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 20, 2012 16:40 |  #31

Kinda funny that there are workarounds for Windows 8. There is a work around for shutting it down?

I really liked XP for it's stability. I would not mind switching to Win 8 but I'll wait till they work out the bugs.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links
gotaudi
720 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 20, 2012 20:13 |  #32

The stages of change follow in this particular order... Denial -> Resistance -> Exploration -> Commitment....

For all who is against Windows 8 need to move on to the next steps. Think ahead, be innovative and find a way how to get the best out of it.

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 21, 2012 14:04 |  #33

mike_d wrote in post #15367425 (external link)
Whatever the issue was, it wasn't Win8 itself. Disk Management is the same in Win8 as it has been for a long time. Once you find it, that is.

thedge wrote in post #15390831 (external link)
Once you get to Control Panel, its exactly the same steps to initialize and format a new hard drive in Windows 7 and Windows 8. And its not that hard to get to the Control Panel or Computer Management.

But I guess its easier to moan and whine and spread misinformation.

That is exactly the problem. Of course it is a non issue for us who already know where things are. Windows 8 does not make it any easier for end users to locate things such as Control Panel, Disk Management etc. I don't blame Canon_Lover for taking 3+ hours to format a new HD (but I blame those "advanced tech support" idiots).

Previous Windows versions are so much easier to deal with. If we don't know what we are looking for, we can just click Start button and look at every available icon and click it if we think that is what we need.

Windows 8 seems to demand that we must know what we are looking for. Everything else is hidden. Only magical swipe or mouse pointer being at the right location will reveal the hidden stuff.

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 21, 2012 14:35 |  #34

morph2_7 wrote in post #15394199 (external link)
Previous Windows versions are so much easier to deal with. If we don't know what we are looking for, we can just click Start button and look at every available icon and click it if we think that is what we need.

while I can't say about win8, that's really extremely inefficient way of finding stuff.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 21, 2012 14:39 |  #35

HyperYagami wrote in post #15394286 (external link)
while I can't say about win8, that's really extremely inefficient way of finding stuff.

sure is but with Win 8 (and no experience), you're pretty much stuck staring at Metro UI.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,351 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 21, 2012 22:21 |  #36

HyperYagami wrote in post #15394286 (external link)

Yes, but some times its the only way.

morph2_7 wrote in post #15394306 (external link)
sure is but with Win 8 (and no experience), you're pretty much stuck staring at Metro UI.

Win8's Metro Start Screen does have an equivalent of "Start, All Programs" but its horribly laid out. Instead of having folders you can expand out, you just get one giant list of everything on the system. Its much more tedious to look through.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 24, 2012 07:30 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #37

I have Windows 8 Pro installed on my photo editing PC. From a functional standpoint, the big difference, as mentioned, is the lack of a start button and the introduction of the start screen. They also moved a few things around, yada, yada, yada. To me, it's Windows 7 minus the start menu. At first that bothered me but I've gotten used to it. I've got my most-used apps pinned down in the start screen and also have shortcuts on my desktop. No biggie. All my apps work fine.

I think perhaps Microsoft botched this one up a little trying to put an all-in-one O/S into Windows 8. As something who's in the tech business I would say the adoption rate for Windows 8 in the business sector, especially the financial sector will be pretty low.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 24, 2012 16:23 |  #38

Windows 8 is actually really fast at finding apps with the apps search feature. (Windows key + Q) hotkey and then type the name of the app. Much faster than nested menu diving.

I hate how the metro covers up all yoru windows though. It's not as nice for multitasking. Especially if one of your windows is in the Metro style app.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,351 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 24, 2012 17:11 |  #39

tkbslc wrote in post #15404010 (external link)
Windows 8 is actually really fast at finding apps with the apps search feature. (Windows key + Q) hotkey and then type the name of the app. Much faster than nested menu diving.

I find Win7 to be better at actually putting what I'm looking for at the top of the search results list. Sure, if you're searching for an app, its fine in Win8. If you're searching for a setting or document, its more keystrokes and/or mousing to get the result vs Win7.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 24, 2012 23:39 |  #40

Yeah, I'm much faster in Windows 7, too. I only have a VM with windows 8 for testing so I am not sure if it is just an experience thing.

Metro kind of defeats the purpose of windows, though, because you just have A window, not windows.

Taylor

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,351 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 25, 2012 00:03 |  #41

tkbslc wrote in post #15404875 (external link)
Yeah, I'm much faster in Windows 7, too. I only have a VM with windows 8 for testing so I am not sure if it is just an experience thing.

Metro kind of defeats the purpose of windows, though, because you just have A window, not windows.

The thing to remember about Win8 is that it was designed for tablets and phones. Simple, unitasking, casual-use machines with scarce screen space, limited input options, and limited local storage. Sure, they throw a billion Windows desktop users a bone by including a Desktop tile, but Microsoft has so much iPad envy that they've decided every PC needs to be dumbed down to the level of a tablet.

Golden ­ Hunter
803 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 25, 2012 22:12 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #42

Update: I have been running Win8 for about a month now and can report that after "disabling" the whole metro start screen, win8 is virtually identical to win7. I have had no issues so far and had no issues with 7 either. I would say that if you can live with the metro interface or disable it, you can't go wrong with either OS.

Brent
5D Mark2 // 16-35 f4L // 70-200 f4L // 17-40 f4L // Sigma 50 f1.4//
580EX2

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 25, 2012 22:17 |  #43

I am hoping SP1 gives the option to disable Metro.

Taylor

gooeydruid
462 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 25, 2012 23:44 |  #44

I just built a new desktop today based around a Gigabyte Z77 motherboard and Intel i7-3770k CPU. I opted to go with Win 8 Pro for the OS that I got as a $15 upgrade from Microsoft.
So far, I'm really liking it. I always swore I would not upgrade to it after seeing it on some of the laptops in Best Buy, but I'm glad I gave it a chance.

One thing that you can do to help yourself is to install a start menu program like Pokki (freeware, open source) or Start8. They pretty much make it on par with Win 7 as far as ease of access. It does take a little bit of getting used to as far as hot corners and search are concerned.
Win 8 makes very good use of the search function, it is crazy fast on finding anything you need.
I have had zero hardware or software incompatibility problems. No crashes either.

And Win 8 is insanely fast if you install it on a machine with current generation tech.
My rig specs are an OC'd 3770k, 8gb 1600mhz RAM, SSD for programs, 3 separate spinning disks for different types of media storage and a UEFI motherboard. Win 8 installed in less than an hour fully updated and installing Lightroom 4 onto it. Win 8 is also fast in general, everything just feels snappier.
If you install Pokki on it and spend 10-15 minutes getting to know it, it will easily give Win7 a run for its money.

T1i, 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm IS, Helios 44-4m
2x YongNuo speedlites, MeFoto Roadtrip, Elph 300HS, Domke F3x, Lowepro 400aw

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 26, 2012 00:35 |  #45

MS OS Pattern is

Win ME: Bad
Win XP: Great
Win Vista: Bad
Win 7: Great
Win 8: Bad
What ever is next will be great!

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

7,054 views & 0 likes for this thread
Win XP -> Win 8 ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.