Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 03:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

wide angle photography - advice on possible upgrade 5d M3 from 7d

woodentom
126 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 23, 2012 03:58 |  #1

i have 2 7d's and have been very happy with them but on my last outing i noticed that even the 10-22mm lense wasn't wide enough for certain landscapes (weird i know)

now i don't want the fisheye or stitching so i need options

i am now thinking of trading both 7d's in for a 5d M3 which i am sure most would a gree to be a positive.

the 10-22mm lens won't fit on a full frame so i will have to sell that and have been thinking of what to do.

from research the best option is the canon 14mm 2.8 i believe. a little bit wider.

the Zeiss are not auto focus and the canon 8-15mm is a fisheye.

if i am missing something or if you have and advice/thoughts please let me know.

thanks

http://www.globaltrekk​er.co.uk/ (external link)
life is a party.....don't forget your camera

sponsored links
Ilovetheleafs
Raising uninteresting to new levels
907 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 23, 2012 05:07 |  #2

while I haven't used it, the sigma 12 -24 may be an option.

Canon Rebel XS gripped, Canon 18 - 55mm, Sigma 18 - 200mm f3.5 - f6.3 DC OS HSM,Sigma 50mm f1.4 Olympus TG-810 Tough, LowePro Classified 160AW, Canon 430EX II Flash, Kata E-702

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,626 posts
Gallery: 1651 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Dec 23, 2012 05:33 |  #3

Might be cheaper to just stitch 2 photos together. ;)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

IanE
216 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 23, 2012 05:37 |  #4

Sigma makes an 8-16 for crop. That's as wide as you're going to get.

www.ievenden.com (external link)

SpeedyGoo
242 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 23, 2012 05:41 |  #5

my 2 cents you'd probably be better stitching instead much wider than you are your going to end up with fisheye(ish) distortion.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 23, 2012 06:15 |  #6

Well there's also the samyang 14mm 2.8, which is extraordinarily good for the price. That would save you a nice chunk of change.

But I too would say stitching would be the better option.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 23, 2012 11:06 |  #7

I'd try the 8-16 first.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

T2iGuy
139 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 23, 2012 11:12 |  #8

If you really want full frame I would sell one 7d for a 5dmk2, so you can have full frame body and 1.6 crop body because do you really need the auto focus of the 5dmk3

GEAR: T2i

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Dec 23, 2012 11:19 |  #9

Sigma upgraded their 12-24mm SWA and, except for having to work with the smaller apertures, there was nothing wrong with the earlier version (which I have) except the problems endemic with any SWA.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 23, 2012 11:44 |  #10

Trying to go wider than 10mm on crop or 16mm on full frame, you will see heavy wide angle distortions. It won't be as extreme as a fisheye, but it's just optically impossible to correct it all away.

The best solution, besides some highly specialized cameras that swing the lens while the shutter is open, or somthing similar, is stitching. That doesn't need to be all that complicated.... This image is a quick, three-image composite that was done on the spur of the moment at a client's request...

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8323/8138377843_58a9b189d9_b.jpg

This was shot with 7D, Tokina 12-24 (not set at it's widest focal length, tho I don't recall exactly where I set it). The hedge seen toward either lower corner actually runs straight across right in front of where I was standing to take the shots, so this is nearly a 180 degree angle of view. The center of the image was kept open for a title to be added later (about where my watermark is seen here).

It was dead simple to combine the images in Photoshop. The biggest problem? There was someone walking across the scene as I was making the three separate shots (handheld), and they showed up three times in the final image. A little cloning fixed that! After stitching, the edges of the final image are always jagged and curved, so I allowed a bit of extra room framing the three original shots, to be able to crop the final composite to a wide rectangle.

If you want to go crazy with stitching, check out "gigapan" photography, where as many as 200 and more images are combined into a single image that's a full gigabyte or more. There's www.gigapan.org (external link) website, which, among others, features some of the work of George Lepp (external link). He often uses a telephoto, such as a 70-200 zoom, to make a fantastic, huge, very wide images. He's also experimented with macro gigpan.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links

1,643 views & 0 likes for this thread
wide angle photography - advice on possible upgrade 5d M3 from 7d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.