Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 11 Dec 2012 (Tuesday) 13:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amazon Tax begins Nov. 1, 2013 for Massachusetts

Riles
305 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 13, 2012 00:26 |  #16

If this was a year ago and we had been talking about it beginning last month, I would have worried. Since then, however, I have discovered the joys of buying used. Now the only thing I buy on Amazon are used textbooks. The tax will be relatively insignificant for those purchases.

sponsored links
goodnightarizona
164 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 13, 2012 00:48 |  #17

lowrider wrote in post #15354100 (external link)
For us in Arizona - February 1, 2013 is the :evil: date.

Lou

It'll be Feb. 1st before we know it :\

Sometimes I'll want something from a store and instead order from amazon because the lack of tax and the free shipping from Amazon prime. :p

dr_teng
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 13, 2012 09:17 |  #18

You get used to it. They've had the tax in NY for a while and sure, I loved the additional savings before that, it hasn't changed my purchasing much.

KhanhD
"I need a grip . . . on my life"
1,523 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 13, 2012 09:57 |  #19

Ill shift back to B&H and Adorama. Until then, Ill continue using my Prime account.

Khanh Duong | KHDPhoto.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)
iPhone 5s + Instagram (external link)

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 13, 2012 10:18 |  #20

Too bad Amazon... you will lose my business soon :)

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

KhanhD
"I need a grip . . . on my life"
1,523 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 13, 2012 10:22 |  #21

SiaoP wrote in post #15361841 (external link)
Too bad Amazon... you will lose my business soon :)

Its not Amazon's fault or idea. You think they want to collect money for somebody else, that makes their customer's bottom line higher, that they have to pay to someone else?

Khanh Duong | KHDPhoto.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)
iPhone 5s + Instagram (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 13, 2012 11:23 |  #22

Here's how Amazon avoids paying taxes...we should be so lucky.

http://www.reuters.com …zon-idUSBRE8B50AR20121206 (external link)

Special Report: Amazon's billion-dollar tax shield

In 2005, Amazon rented a historic five-storey building in Luxembourg's Grund quarter, right at the bottom of a steep rock-walled valley below the old town.

By setting up in Luxembourg, and channelling sales through its units there, the world's biggest online retailer could minimize corporate taxes.

It was a move with big financial consequences.

Amazon's Luxembourg arrangements have deprived European governments of hundreds of millions of dollars in tax that it might otherwise have owed, as reported in European newspapers. But a Reuters examination of accounts filed by 25 Amazon units in six countries shows how they also allowed the company to avoid paying more tax in the United States, where the company is based.
In effect, Amazon used inter-company payments to form a tax shield for the group, behind which it has accumulated $2 billion to help finance its expansion.

Amazon revealed last year that the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) wants $1.5 billion in back taxes. The claim, which Amazon said it would "vigorously contest", is linked to its foreign subsidiaries and payments made between them.

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 13, 2012 14:34 |  #23

KhanhD wrote in post #15361860 (external link)
Its not Amazon's fault or idea. You think they want to collect money for somebody else, that makes their customer's bottom line higher, that they have to pay to someone else?

That's not the fuller picture. This was part of an agreement between Amazon and Massachusetts, basically in exchange for support for federal legislation. Eventually, all online sales will be taxed regardless of state you are ordering from as a federal matter.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

reginalds
100 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 14, 2012 02:10 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

Do anybody know about Georgia?

pmandadapu7
35 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 14, 2012 12:31 |  #25

I live in ny but I ship all my orders to ma parents place just because there is no tax in ma. Now I need to look for alternatives. Haha.

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 23, 2012 08:36 |  #26

I'm mainly curious about digital content as these days I pretty much get it all(books, music, movies, magazine subscriptions) from Amazon. Strange thing is I don't ever recall paying taxes on my iTunes purchases even though Apple stores have been in Mass. for some time now. Who knows, maybe Apple will get dinged for all those years of not collecting and paying sales tax. That would certainly put a dent in the states debt.

Christian.

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 23, 2012 13:51 |  #27

KhanhD wrote in post #15361860 (external link)

Exactly. This is the last thing Amazon wants. Rumor has it (I think they are testing this in certain areas) they will offer same day delivery. If so, Best Buy will continue to fall.

I love Amazon and will continue to support them if and when this happens in IL.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 23, 2012 14:27 |  #28

Buylongterm wrote in post #15400276 (external link)
Exactly. This is the last thing Amazon wants. Rumor has it (I think they are testing this in certain areas) they will offer same day delivery. If so, Best Buy will continue to fall.

I love Amazon and will continue to support them if and when this happens in IL.

yep. up to this point, part of the reason they've centralized distribution centers was to skirt sales taxes. now that they can no longer offer this as a incentive to consumers, they've expressed plans to expand distribution centers into more states allowing for faster deliveries.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 23, 2012 15:17 |  #29

pmandadapu7 wrote in post #15366595 (external link)
Now I need to look for alternatives. Haha.

B&H & Adorama still don't charge sales tax - except NY

Ball4
352 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 25, 2012 01:19 |  #30

Once they started collecting taxes in CA, they lost me as a customer.

sponsored links

8,149 views & 0 likes for this thread
Amazon Tax begins Nov. 1, 2013 for Massachusetts
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.