Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 12 Oct 2012 (Friday) 12:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

show your SX50HS photos

photocopy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 16, 2012 13:25 |  #61

nice shot of the Northern Flicker.. i have 2 that come into the yard, but they sit with their backs to my house so its almost impossible to take a pic.. little stinkers!!

sponsored links
satuman
52 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 17, 2012 00:19 |  #62

Had mine one week back. Liking the reach, for bird shots

BruceAZ
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 20, 2012 20:39 |  #63

Hello Treaks and Jacqui2,

I've been contemplating buying a SX50 to replace my SX30 and the beautiful photos in this thread convinced me to go ahead with the purchase.

There are two photos posted by both of you that especially caught my attention. I was hoping that you would tell me if either of these photos had any post processing done to them or is this how they came straight out of the camera?

Treaks - Post #46, second photo of what I think is a female Mallard duck.

Jacui2 - Post #49, first photo of the Pigeon.

I hope I can get results that are even half as nice as what I am seeing in this thread. What beautiful work by everyone.

Thanks.

satuman
52 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 21, 2012 00:41 |  #64

At 50x, a moorhen.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8078/8292619097_8169da032d.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/12332789@N07/8​292619097/  (external link) Lalbag Moor Hen (external link) by c_shantanu (external link), on Flickr

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,855 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 21, 2012 01:35 as a reply to  @ satuman's post |  #65

Wowsers wrote in post #15371108 (external link)
This is a great shot considering the poor weather. :D

photocopy wrote in post #15373685 (external link)
nice shot of the Northern Flicker.. i have 2 that come into the yard, but they sit with their backs to my house so its almost impossible to take a pic.. little stinkers!!

Thanks! Yes, it was cold and wet day. I decided to leave my T3i and 100-400 lens at home, but my 7 year old budding birder was having none of it. He insisted on taking the SX50HS along, which he usually monopolizes. I'm glad we had it, as we saw the flicker, several beavers, cormorants, and a host of other passerines.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

treaks
323 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2007

Dec 21, 2012 19:29 |  #66

BruceAZ wrote in post #15391690 (external link)

I've been contemplating buying a SX50 to replace my SX30 and the beautiful photos in this thread convinced me to go ahead with the purchase.

There are two photos posted by both of you that especially caught my attention. I was hoping that you would tell me if either of these photos had any post processing done to them or is this how they came straight out of the camera?

I hope I can get results that are even half as nice as what I am seeing in this thread. What beautiful work by everyone.

Thanks.

Very little had some beautiful light. Thank you.

Treaks

BruceAZ
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 22, 2012 16:08 as a reply to  @ treaks's post |  #67

Treaks,

Thanks for the reply. I should also have asked if the photo was taken hand held or with a tripod? I just can not get over the sharpness and the colors!

BruceAZ
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 22, 2012 16:34 as a reply to  @ BruceAZ's post |  #68

Well, my SX50 arrived last night, so I put the battery in the charger so it would be ready this morning. I have only read the getting started info in the manual, but luckily, it is very similar to my SX30.

Here is my first attempt of a bird photo this afternoon of a Mourning Dove.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I think I am going to really like this camera! I can not get over how sharp it is a max zoom hand held.

For others like me who are looking at this thread and wondering what the SX50 photos look like before any post processing, below is the photo directly from the camera (other than resizing for the Forum). I used IrfanView to crop, and slightly increase the contast and the saturation. I also executed the sharpen funcution, but it did not make a difference. Edit: File format is JPG.

The camera was hand held with image stabiliztion on and the zoom was at the max 1,200mm equiv. The mode was set to P and eariler I changed the default settings to increase the contast by +1 and sharpness by +2. Those settings worked well with the SX30 and looks like they will work out for me on the SX50. Shutter 1/160, F6.5, Center Weighted Metering, 0 Compensation, ISO Auto of 80, White Bal Auto.

HOSTED PHOTO

jacqui2
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 22, 2012 18:16 |  #69

BruceAZ wrote in post #15391690 (external link)

Thanks.

Hi, thanks :) I did a bit pp on it, although Im not very good at it so it was just a bit on levels and maybe a bit on sharpness although I dont really know what Im doing with that :) been pretty pleased with the camera, doesnt usually need much pp (just as well because, as I say, not really very clued up on that :) )

jacqui2
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 22, 2012 18:43 |  #70

Just an example of a photo straight out of camera, nothing done at all, apart from resizing. Not a great photo or anything, but was on full zoom of the very top of a tree in my neighbour's garden and thought it would just show what it can do at full zoom with zero pp.

HOSTED PHOTO

rogertb
327 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 23, 2012 03:41 |  #71

Ive had this camera since it was released in the UK and am pretty happy with it, the weather here has been dreadful so I've been more inclined to tuck the SX50 into my pocket (OK big pocket) rather than drag my 5D Mk II with 400mm out when walking the dog. The only problem I'm having, as can be seen from the second shot in this sequence, is focus when the subject is mixed up with other things, in this case the 'reeds', with the 5D I can happily use manual focus - anyone any advice please ?

These are all shot as 'raw' and I've done no PP:

IMAGE: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12879319/IMG_0473.jpg

IMAGE: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12879319/IMG_0678.jpg

IMAGE: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12879319/IMG_0680.jpg

IMAGE: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12879319/IMG_0697.jpg

Canon 5D Mk II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 400L, Speedlite 580 EX, Canon SX 50 HS.
My Flickr (external link)
My Website (external link)

BruceAZ
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 24, 2012 00:28 |  #72

Jacqui2,

Thanks for the additional information and posting a new example. I find the Pigeon photo striking. I must like sharp detail. Like you, I have not done much post processing other than basic stuff. That is why I wanted a camera that produced good results directly so long as I do my part.

satuman
52 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 27, 2012 22:13 |  #73

full zoom a fruit bat hanging from 60' high branch.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8357/8317082806_c78e70fe3e.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/12332789@N07/8​317082806/  (external link) Foxbat (external link) by c_shantanu (external link), on Flickr

Manaen
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 28, 2012 10:52 |  #74

OK Just found this forum. I have owned my sx50 for about 1 month. It has been a while since I have had a camera of this quality so maybe I am a little behind the times here. But I am amazed at how this zoom performs at it's outer limits. Here are some shots that I took with it over the past month. None of these have been process they are straight from the camera then compressed to a max res of 900 for posting.

These first couple shots were from a concert I went to. I just got the camera and wanted to test it out. Many of them were in poor lighting, no flash, handheld, and almost full zoom.

This is a shot at wide from my seat before the start just for perspective.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Here are some shots of the performers. I was blown away with how this camera locks focus and can capture action like this without a flash.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

This next shot was just taken a few days ago in a snow storm that we were getting. It was handheld at about 200mm. I have not editted it yet, I will be removing the power lines and adjusting contrast a bit.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

When you have a zoom like this you have to take a moon shot, and this one was on a tripod with 2 sec delay. This is into digital zoom I believe around 90x.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Anyway all the reviews I read have been right on except for a few points. Don't believe those who say 50x is too much to hand hold shots. You need to be steady and the viewfinder is critical for that. Which brings me to my second point, there seems to be a lot of negativity to the viewfinder. It works as it should and I use it 99% of the time. Could it be better? I guess so, but I find that it works perfectly and it very clear. But I don't wear glasses and that might be the difference for those who have poor eyesight.

Anyway I am loving the camera, and am learning to love photography again since I sold my last pro-sumer camera many years ago. I am invigorated by the swiss-army knife like SX50hs

Cheers!!

sandwedge
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 157 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 28, 2012 22:07 |  #75

Got one of these this week and am looking forward to contributing to this thread. A quick question: Are you able to set the shutter speed when shooting in burst mode? I just learned how to get to burst mode in SCN, but my practice shots inside were at 1/15th second.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
5d mkIV, 80D, 7D, 5D, sx50, Canon EF 500 f/4 USM II, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 24-105L, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

sponsored links

337,305 views & 132 likes for this thread
show your SX50HS photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.